Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2002 7:45:51 AM EDT
My wife and I are pretty much one issue voters. I'm a Libertarian and my one issue is gun rights. She is a Democrat and her one issue is abortion. She does not believe that anyone has the right to tell a woman what she can do to her body, just as I believe that no one has the right to tell me what I can or cannot use to defend myself. There in lies the problem. The only candidates that believe this way are usually Libertarians and they honestly usually don't have a chance in hell to be elected. So I end up having to pick the best of two evils and vote for the pro gun Republican. The wife is refusing to do that this year and says she will vote for a liberal governor after the NRA backed Republican candidate spoke out against abortion. How can I convince her otherwise?
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There's the problem - liberals belive that a woman has the right to kill "her" unviable tissue mass 15 minutes prior to natural "child" birth but you don't have the right to own a gun to protect her from hours worth of gang rape.
View Quote

Amen!
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There's the problem - liberals belive that a woman has the right to kill "her" unviable tissue mass 15 minutes prior to natural "child" birth but you don't have the right to own a gun to protect her from hours worth of gang rape.
View Quote

Amen. Now if only the thick headed liberals could see things in such a simple light.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#4]
The solutions seems simple to me, though you may not like it.

Both your wife and you should vote Libertarian.

A libertarian should both support your RKBA, and your wife's right to choose.  True, they are not currently viable candidates, but [i]they represent both of you well[/i], and that's how you should choose the person you vote for.

This reminds me of an excerpt from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

"Take me to your lizard…"

…’It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see…’ (this is just after a huge robot lands in downtown London, killing people, doing billions of dollars of damage - and announcing ‘I come in peace, take me to your lizard’)

‘You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?’

‘No,’ said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, ‘nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people.’

‘Odd,’ said Arthur, ‘I thought you said it was a democracy.’

‘I did,’ said Ford. ‘It is.’

‘So,’ said Arthur, hoping he wasn’t sounding ridiculously obtuse, ‘why don’t people get rid of the lizards?’

‘It honestly doesn’t occur to them,’ said Ford. ‘They’ve all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they’ve voted in more or less approximates to the government they want.’

‘You mean they actually vote for the lizards?’

‘Oh yes,’ said Ford with a shrug, ‘of course.’

‘But,’ said Arthur, going for the big one again, ‘why?’

‘Because if they didn’t vote for a lizard,’ said Ford, ‘the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?’

‘What?’

‘I said,’ said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, ‘have you got any gin?’

‘I’ll look. Tell me about the lizards.’

Ford shrugged again.

‘Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happened to them,’ he said. They’re completely and utterly wrong, but someone’s got to say it.’

‘But that’s terrible,’ said Arthur.

‘Listen, bud,’ said Ford, ‘If I had one Altarian dollar for every time I heard one bit of the Universe look at another bit of the Universe and say ‘That’s terrible’ I wouldn’t be sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin. But I haven’t and I am.

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Divorce her, she's a communist.................... Divorce yourself too, for not having the guts to stand on principle.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess i am lucky in this respect.  My wife and I tried for 7 years to have a child of our own.  After 7 miscarries ( two of which were etopic pregnacies that resulted in her losing both of her fallopian tubes ) anytime she sees on the news where someone has thrown a baby in a dumpster or killed their baby she becomes livid.  She used to be kinda-pro abortion but her own experiences changed her.

We now have a beautiful 1 year old girl that we adopted from China.  She is an angel.

If this doesnt convince your lady then nothing will.

[img]http://home.midsouth.rr.com//tduncan1/agnesangel.jpg[/img]

She is our angel and the apple of my eye.  She brings us so much hapiness.  You would be surprised at how many couples have problems conceiving children.  There are many families in waiting that would be happy to spend the rest of their life loving and nourishing the little hearbeat.  If only they could be allowed.

Instead those women make the decision to, lack of a better term, suck it down a sink.

What a crying shame !

Hell, I am getting tears just typing this and gazing at my daughter sleeping on her blanket at my feet.

And dont no one follow up this post with graphic abortion pics.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Educate me on how the political "sides" were picked by the abortion issue. My wife has stated that she would never have an abortion she just feels very strongly about anyone (male politicians in general) having a right to tell her what she can and can't do. Can't say that I disagree one bit.

I agree with you when you say that I should vote Libertarian. I just can't get over the idea that I am wasting a vote and helping an anti gun candidate.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#8]
If you vote pro-rkba and she votes the opposite, they cancel out.  If you vote libertarian, you have thrown your vote away as it relates to your issue.  I would vote to nullify my wife's vote.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey, Humpalot!

My sis adopted an olive skinned little beauty a couple years back. We're an Irish Catholic family, and I'm the oldest son, so it was my job to assess the situation (and start the mandatory teasing of my sis)

I taught her as a toddler to say 'I'm Carpthanian Irish!' My sister was livid at first, but recovered quickly. (Family humor here is brutal!)

If she were my daughter, she'd be 'Shanghai Irish'. Be good to that little girl, love her and enjoy her. She's a cute little coleen, and enjoy her while you can. They grow up almost overnight!

Best of luck!       gfb
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#11]
A Persons’ right to choose is at the heart of this matter.  
Too many times the government limits the rights of the individual and imposes draconian measures to make you choose the right course.  Liberals have manufactured social problems and the programs so they will have work.  Unfortunately the FAR right is also doing the same thing.  The real answer is somewhere in the middle.  To live in a free society there is a price to be paid, and one must have something that is sorely lacking – tolerance.

We know that a persons right to choose is sacred, but the liberal educational (Indoctrination) establishment wants unwed pregnancies to make a problem larger and to further the Welfare establishment trap that is not easily escaped. So they give false information that the kids and adults make erroneous life altering decisions. In this way they have more people depending on government and increase their power base.  After all if you are dependent on the government for food and shelter you will vote to keep it.

The Indoctrination centers do not give all the options, only the ones they want. And their options don’t work. They only teach what they want and have since the 1960s.  The liberal destructive agenda has been running for years and the liberal press is aiding and abetting the destruction of the educational system and the kids.  The dropout rate has not seen a decline despite the increased funding and government intervention.  Obviously the government cannot do education.  So why do we let it?  Government in education only serves to make a bad problem worse, and it wastes our money.

There is nothing wrong with owning a gun.  There is nothing wrong with a woman’s right to choose.  There is something wrong when a needed therapeutic abortion needs to be performed and you cannot get it done because the facilities will not allow it.  The Far right and the Left are both wrong, but they are the only ones getting press from the liberal leftist press.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My wife and I are pretty much one issue voters. I'm a Libertarian and my one issue is gun rights. She is a Democrat and her one issue is abortion. She does not believe that anyone has the right to tell a woman what she can do to her body, just as I believe that no one has the right to tell me what I can or cannot use to defend myself. There in lies the problem. The only candidates that believe this way are usually Libertarians and they honestly usually don't have a chance in hell to be elected. So I end up having to pick the best of two evils and vote for the pro gun Republican. The wife is refusing to do that this year and says she will vote for a liberal governor after the NRA backed Republican candidate spoke out against abortion. How can I convince her otherwise?
View Quote

You knew this and married her anyway?  Must be true love!

Take her to downtown Chicago on Friday night, let her out for a 5 mile stroll, and ask her if she would like to go unarmed our borrow your 9mm.  Case closed.

But the 2nd Amendment is small potatoes compared to infantacide.  She needs more help with baby murder than self defense.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I have little understanding of people who somehow see merit in the idea of abortion.  The issue seems simple to me:  Don't want a kid?  Don't have sex, or if you do, accept the risks.  That is where we all have choice.  For the statistically unlikely chance of being raped and conceiving--if she carries a gun, she won't get raped.  Problem solved.

Vote pro-gun and she won't get pregnant against her will.  Then she has all the choice in the world:  whether or not she wants to have sex and conceive.

Also, [b]innocent_bystander[/b], yesterday there was a thread posted about a woman who was going to be raped but she happened to be carrying a .357.  All was well.  Look for that thread.

[b]USMC_LB[/b]:  God bless you and yours.

[b]Phil_in_Seattle[/b]:  Good point

[b]longun45[/b]:  Nothing wrong with murdering babies?  Might want to get your head checked, or at least your conscience....
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#14]
If your against abortion......dont have one.
If you want one...get one.
I dont know why people even bother debating it.

pretty simple huh?
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Give her the chance to see what a late term abortion looks like. Maybe she will wake up and see that the line has to be drawn somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Isn't your wife a good wife like mine and just do what you tell her to do?[peep]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A libertarian should both support your RKBA, and your wife's right to choose.  True, they are not currently viable candidates, but [i]they represent both of you well[/i], and that's how you should choose the person you vote for.
View Quote

The Libertarian Party doesn't actually support abortions.  They just believe the government should stay out of the woman's business.
From the Libertarian Party web site:

Recognizing that abortion is a very sensitive issue and that people, including libertarians, can hold good-faith views on both sides, we believe the government should be kept out of the question.

We condemn state-funded and state-mandated abortions. It is particularly harsh to force someone who believes that abortion is murder to pay for another's abortion.

It is the right and obligation of the pregnant woman, not the state, to decide the desirability or appropriateness of prenatal testing, Caesarean births, fetal surgery, voluntary surrogacy arrangements, and/or home births.
View Quote

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top