Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2011 1:48:35 PM EDT
i may be setting myself up here

I work in biomed as a hospital service technician.  I make around 28k a year and have been married for a month now.

When we got married I had to sell off my (only) two AR's to get money together for house deposits and wedding stuff.

Now, I just sold my old saturn sedan for 2500.00 .  We make bills and rent on time usually with a little left over.

I am stuck between wanting another AR or handgun and putting money away.  my practical side says I don't need an AR, although I have my ccw ( I carry a rossi .38 my father gave me).

.........but when I see the direction things are going with shootings and general panic (crazies coming out of the woodwork), my tinfoil syndrome says buy a rifle and ALOT of ammo.  

The car belonged solely to me (although the wife may think different)   Should I feel guilty about going and picking up a rifle or a more reliable, more capable CCW handgun?  

or should I put the money into our savings?  the only debt we have is her student loans
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy the AR. Don't ask for permission. It's a lot easier to ask for forgiveness.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Do both, budget savings and new AR money.  If you can buy a new rifle now go for it, Don't put ya'll in a bind over it.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#3]
First post and all.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]
IN BEFORE EJECT PIC.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Sell wife buy back guns !  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#7]
*sigh*

This does not bode well.

Newly married with:

- Money problems negating the sale of property
- Mine and Hers mentality (my car, her student loans)
- Stuck between spending money on things I dont need which may have to be sold off again because I didnt put any money into savings, and acting like a responsible adult and preparing for something that could actually happen (financial SHTF)
- Tinfoil syndrome compelling you to spend money on something so you can use it against "the crazies"

No no, I dont see how this could possibly go wrong
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd be more worried about saving up some more money than buying more guns if I was in your position

If you need a long gun pick up a used mossberg500 and whatever ammo mix you think you will need.  

Start putting $50.00 aside a month and when you get enough sell the shotgun and buy the AR or keep the shotgun.

In the meantime you need 6 months of living expenses put aside as an emergency reserve and it would not hurt to have more than 2 days food in your house.  

Rice and beans (lentils are easiest) store well and are nutritionally balanced so you can live long term on then if you have to.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I forgot to add she starts a job in March where she will make ~40k a year.  should I save this money until after she gets settled in her job, then go about looking for another AR?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Put your marriage first, guy. I've been married 30 years. I've just gotten into shooting again and jumped in with both feet and have laid down some serious money.

But that's after I've raised three kids.

Be a man and put your wife first. It's time to man up and stop being a selfish child.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I work in biomed as a hospital service technician.  I make around 28k a year and have been married for a month now.

When we got married I had to sell off my (only) two AR's to get money together for house deposits and wedding stuff.

Now, I just sold my old saturn sedan for 2500.00 .  We make bills and rent on time usually with a little left over.

I am stuck between wanting another AR or handgun and putting money away.  my practical side says I don't need an AR, although I have my ccw ( I carry a rossi .38 my father gave me).

.........but when I see the direction things are going with shootings and general panic (crazies coming out of the woodwork), my tinfoil syndrome says buy a rifle and ALOT of ammo.  

The car belonged solely to me (although the wife may think different)   Should I feel guilty about going and picking up a rifle or a more reliable, more capable CCW handgun?  

or should I put the money into our savings?  the only debt we have is her student loans

married?  her student loans are yours.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#12]
It doesn't sound like you can afford an AR right now. Marlin 30-30's can be had for under $300.  Hopefully if she has student loans then she'll have a decent income soon?

But nice job on not having any consumer debt at this point in your life. Try to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Put your marriage first, guy. I've been married 30 years. I've just gotten into shooting again and jumped in with both feet and have laid down some serious money.

But that's after I've raised three kids.

Be a man and put your wife first. It's time to man up and stop being a selfish child.

Seriously.

thanks pt, I needed that.  I miss being a student and not worrying about all that, but those times are over.

edit-just to add.  I didnt have to sell the saturn, we have two more cars.  that one was just sitting in the driveway
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I would usually tell someone like you to save money first, but at the rate and value the dollar is going, and with the SHTF so possibly close, I say get an AR and at least 1000 rounds.

This isn't the time for a custom gun either.  Get something dependable and value priced.

Talk with her and tell her your concerns for your safety and hopefully she can see the value in it.

Then, take your expendable money when you can and buy food for long term storage.

You are married now and your wife is your family and your responsibility.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Reason #687 why I'll never be married again.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I forgot to add she starts a job in March where she will make ~40k a year.  should I save this money until after she gets settled in her job, then go about looking for another AR?

as someone that got bitch slapped HARD by murphy last year, I will buck the trend and say put it in food or savings.  Wait till after she starts getting some money coming in, you get a decent security/rainday fund set aside.  For me that was 3 months salary.

If you are worried about not having a HD weapon, then pick up a used 12 gauge pump from pawn shop until the finances are straightened out.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#17]
You could buy a DoubleStar AR from budsgunshop for like $650. Put it on layaway and just pay like $220 a month or something.

I have one of the doublestar m4's from buds. Works just fine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Firearms before floosies.
Should read M4's before who^&$
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#19]
If all I owned was a .38 Rossi, I'd be at the gun store as we speak!

Oh, and pics of the wife....
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I also carry full health/dental/401k/HSA from my company, so thats not a problem
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#21]
She's fucking her old boyfriend.

J/K

Rathole a few bucks and when she gets her job buy something.

Pics man you know the rules.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#22]
SAVE....  You can wait till further down the line...

Since you guys have really "no debt" except her student loans get those payed off. She needs to be working..   Cash equals wealth.. You should try to position yourselves to live off of one paycheck,and save the others paycheck in total. Do this for 5 years and you'll have a nice chunk of money in the bank keep it up for 10 years and on. =  Early retirement with zero debt

However, maintaining that discipline is difficult to master.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

as someone that got bitch slapped HARD by murphy last year, I will buck the trend and say put it in food or savings.  Wait till after she starts getting some money coming in, you get a decent security/rainday fund set aside.  For me that was 3 months salary.

If you are worried about not having a HD weapon, then pick up a used 12 gauge pump from pawn shop until the finances are straightened out.

Good advice
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#24]
my work wireless wont let me on facebook.  I will get pictures up this evening  

let me also add, she has been very supportive in letting me put money into my firebird, so this isnt a wife bashing thread.  I would do anything for her
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#25]
OK, after getting a bit more info I say.... set $1000 of the $2500 aside and don't touch it until she gets her first paycheck.  Then buy an AR with a few mags and some ammo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#26]
What about a cheap AK.  Outstanding rifle, cheap mags, cheap ammo and is as capable as they come. Good compromise.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I have been married for almost 14 years so listen up son...

GET ALL THE PIE YOU CAN NOW, before it dries up.  Then buy guns.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#28]
patients –– delayed gratification will be your friend

dream today and wait for the good deal another day
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Rossi .38 and a .22, bro, you're missing the .22.  

At least we know who you are now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#30]
If your wife doesn't have a gun you should get her one. Give her the .38 and buy a used Glock G19  Save for the AR
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I work in biomed as a hospital service technician. I make around 28k a year and have been married for a month now.

Now, I just sold my old saturn sedan for 2500.00 . We make bills and rent on time usually with a little left over.

I am stuck between wanting another AR or handgun and putting money away. my practical side says I don't need an AR, although I have my ccw ( I carry a rossi .38 my father gave me).

The car belonged solely to me (although the wife may think different) Should I feel guilty about going and picking up a rifle or a more reliable, more capable CCW handgun?

or should I put the money into our savings? the only debt we have is her student loans

You are off to a horrible start in marriage.

I sold nothing to get married and I still have all of my shit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

patients –– delayed gratification will be your friend

dream today and wait for the good deal another day

I missed the part where the OP was a doctor

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Been there, done that.  

Go to a gunshop that has surplus guns, buy a nice old Mosin or something similar for $100 or so, with some ammo.  Clean it up, and keep it, save your money.  

If push comes to shove, you can git r done with an old bolt action.  This advice was given to me a few years back by a retired special forces guy who retired for a while and lived on his own in the rockies with an old 8mm Mouser.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#34]
You need to have money set aside as the head of the household.

Buy a shotgun, and I see you already have a pistol.

There are people that are not able to prepare for the .01%.

Those people usually do not have substantial disposable incomes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
*sigh*

This does not bode well.

Newly married with:

- Stuck between spending money on things I dont need which may have to be sold off again because I didnt put any money into savings, and acting like a responsible adult and preparing for something that could actually happen (financial SHTF)
- Tinfoil syndrome compelling you to spend money on something so you can use it against "the crazies"

Yep.

OP, don't listen to the ones that tell you to just go buy it.  That's reserved for people who have been married for a while and have the money.  Stop with the mine is mine attitude.  If you want the rifle, express that to your wife and sit down and budget for it.  The quicker you figure that out, the happier your marriage will be.  Plus, you will be setting a precident.

Good luck, i've been there.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I  got no advice...other than for all the single guys here to look at this and then dig deep and really question if getting married is worth it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
*sigh*

This does not bode well.
Newly married with:

+1.  You're not defenseless, you have the ..38 which will take care of 98.87% of defensive scenarios.  You're on the ragged edge of financial implosion, if one thing goes wrong you'll be hitting the credit cards hard.  Save an emergency fund, then a bigger emergency fund.  That way a blown transmission or something like that doesn't feel like an apocalypse.  The emegency fund will make you both feel more secure, and make your wife feel loved, which was the point of the whole matrimony exercise anyway.  Perhaps that level of security will help you two to discuss money like rational, trusting adults, instead of that hers/mine playground attitude - if the latter continues you'll be entering a world of pain.  

A frozen pipe or a broken leg or a spun bearing is far more likely to occur tomorrow than the rise of the zombies.  Cover the likely scenarios first.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#38]
your fucked!!...........communication is one of the keys to a good marriage!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Since you guys have really "no debt" except her student loans get those payed off. She needs to be working..   Cash equals wealth.. You should try to position yourselves to live off of one paycheck,and save the others paycheck in total. Do this for 5 years and you'll have a nice chunk of money in the bank keep it up for 10 years and on. =  Early retirement with zero debt

Make sure you have 3-6 months of your NET lifestyle expenses set aside in a cash reserve (money market, savings, short term CD, or checking)

Make sure you are maxing out all retirement savings options (401k, 403b, IRA, etc)––as much as possible.

Make sure you never fall for buy now pay later ( no credit card balances)

Do not finance depreciating assets (cars, TV's, furniture, etc) or short term gratification items (vacations, eating out, entertainment)

IF YOU CAN DO ALL THIS....

Then pay an extra $100 per month on your mortgage...new mortgage that little extra will save you thousands in interest.

after this....knock yourself out.  Buy the gun of your dreams.  (...with cash)

The number one stress on an otherwise good marriage (faithful, compatible people) is.....MONEY.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Make sure you have 3-6 months of your NET lifestyle expenses set aside in a cash reserve (money market, savings, short term CD, or checking)

Make sure you are maxing out all retirement savings options (401k, 403b, IRA, etc)––as much as possible.

Do not finance depreciating assets (cars, TV's, furniture, etc) or short term gratification items (vacations, eating out, entertainment)

Then pay an extra $100 per month on your mortgage...new mortgage that little extra will save you thousands in interest.

The number one stress on an otherwise good marriage (faithful, compatible people) is.....MONEY.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#41]
$1000.00 for new AR.....$1500.00 in the bank.

Been married for 30years and still make those decisions.

GM
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:28:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

married?  her student loans are yours.  

not if they divorce. premarital debt and all.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth, or you can just not married and blow cash on guns, hookers, and blow. I bet my buy in is smaller and the rewards are greater.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#44]
why dont you talk about it with her..............

worst case scenario put aside some cash here and there - maybe sell some gold or other items you havent used in a while and try to accomodate your needs with "recycling" your useless shit

I had some electronics and other items I never used, sold em = paid some bills, and got some ammo - everyone was happy in the end
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:44:07 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Do this

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#47]
I'd buy a more capable CCW then put the rest in savings.

G19 is an extremely versatile handgun that doesn't break the bank. That one handgun will do anything you could want a pistol to do––CCW, home defense, training, competition, etc.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
my work wireless wont let me on facebook.  I will get pictures up this evening  

let me also add, she has been very supportive in letting me put money into my firebird, so this isnt a wife bashing thread.  I would do anything for her

Since you have a few extra bucks, take her out for dinner. Then TALK to her about what you need/expect from your marriage and what she needs/expects.

This MINE, HERS, SHE LETS ME sucks donkey balls.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#49]
I'd pick up a decent handgun, an 870, and a bunch of ammo for both.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#50]
I say CCW.  More versitility than an AR.  ie comes with you, goes in nightstand.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top