Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 8:17:05 PM EDT
Im getting this gun and currently I use ear plugs that are rated at 33 db.   They do a good job with the AR but I think the 500 with its compensator end is going to much louder.  I've been looking into "ear muff" protectors but they typically only reduce sound up to 26-30 db.  So technically the ear plugs are a fraction of the price and do a better job of deadening the sound, right?

Or am I missing something with the muffs because the cover more of the ear it reduce the felt concussion or something??

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Use both plugs and muffs.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

+1

This is what I had to do with a compensated 44 mag.    It would ring my ears if I only used one or the other.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of the damaging sounds/vibration are carried through bones in and behind your ears. Muffs are significantly better than plugs when firing overpowered cannons.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Plugs and Muffs.  I shoot an IPSC racegun indoors every once in awhile.  With the Comp, most people think I'm shooting a Mosin
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm, Both my .44 mountain fun and 10MM are pushing the liimits of plugs + muffs indoors.  Maybe I'm a pussy.  Not sure how much louder that monster is but not sure I would even fire it indoors.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hmmm, Both my .44 mountain fun and 10MM are pushing the liimits of plugs + muffs indoors.  Maybe I'm a pussy.  Not sure how much louder that monster is but not sure I would even fire it indoors.

Nevery tried my 44 mag indoors.     I know an AR with a brake will piss off people though
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#8]
If you use plugs, make sure you use them CORRECTLY.

If you use earmuffs, make sure you PUSH the muffs in so that they form a vacuum seal with your head.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a can for it.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nevery tried my 44 mag indoors.     I know an AR with a brake will piss off people though

Both the .44 and the 10mm put out a pumpkin sized flash and heat you can feel.  The blast is something else.  Difference is the AR puts the blast  a lot further from your head.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top