Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2013 5:57:18 AM EDT
If you have a garage door opener your house may be at risk even if you have a alarm . This link has the story and a quick fix
http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/the-6-second-garage-door-breakin-you-can-prevent-7137.shtml
keep your home secure
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:00:02 AM EDT
I fucking hate a thief
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:00:30 AM EDT
Haha I actually used a zip tie on mine when I first moved in.

This is not a new thing....
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:01:54 AM EDT
Great info -thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:03:40 AM EDT
Nothing new in that...

And door with glass panels are even quicker.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:06:32 AM EDT
no windows on my garage door. good luck with that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:09:20 AM EDT
Fix that with a guard or zip tie and put a sensor on the garage door for your alarm system as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:19:25 AM EDT
thank god for the internet , now I know how to do it .
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:39:58 AM EDT
Thanks for posting this.

I am not all powerful and all-knowing like many on this thread.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:41:28 AM EDT
I never installed that cord on mine when I put the new opener in. Innovative idea though...
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:42:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By nigmalg:
Fix that with a guard or zip tie and put a sensor on the garage door for your alarm system as well.

The video told how they get around alarms.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:43:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cytotox:

It's simple to break in this way, whether there are windows or not.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:45:28 AM EDT
Remove the plastic T-handle from the release cord. Can't snag a straight rope. Then either secure the latch with the zip tie or block access to it with some kind of little panel. I just did this recently after seeing that video on Youtube.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:48:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By scottedward58:

Alarm companies report the sensor to the cops "alarm triggered at garage door"; if the police are given that info, one would think they'd actually check out the garage. Homey hiding in said garage is nabbed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:50:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Harvster:

It's simple to break in this way, whether there are windows or not.

My door has no windows, is heavy as hell and i broke off the pull part when my garage door spring broke
Nobody is getting in mine with a hanger

My father in law used to put a half inch bolt through the guide rails on his doors - but thats a pita is you need to open the door often
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:51:32 AM EDT

This is why the alarm company calls the owner, your system specifies to the company which zone was violated, you have motion sensors in the garage, you have an auto reset system, and you have web streaming video cameras with motion detection that e-mail you pics when they alert.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:54:32 AM EDT
Won't do me much good, I have a man sized window in the wall of my garage that you can't see from the street.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:55:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BB:

Alarm companies report the sensor to the cops "alarm triggered at garage door"; if the police are given that info, one would think they'd actually check out the garage. Homey hiding in said garage is nabbed.

You would think they would check the garage, but no, they are not always that clever. Case in point, my next door neighbor's son was having problems and kept leaving the rehad facility. One night, they couldn't find him and checked my neighbor's house out. They were in the process of moving, but it was familiar ground to the kid. They searched the house and were in the backyard and were about to leave. I asked if they checked the detached garage and they all looked at each other with stupid "oh, shit" looks. I just went back into my house.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:06:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GoCart-Mozart:
Thanks for posting this.

... and I can pass the video on to friends...good thread!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:08:56 AM EDT
I have a motion sensor in the garage.... I get alerted (on my phone) as the police do and know specifically what zone was tripped. I can also tell how long someone is there (unless they freeze like a rock) .
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:12:32 AM EDT

This
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:15:41 AM EDT
Someone figured this out a long time ago:

LOCKS KEEP HONEST PEOPLE OUT
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:15:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2013 7:17:32 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
If a zip tie costs you $5, the burglars aren't the only thieves involved.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:16:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LawyersGunsMoney:
Originally Posted By GoCart-Mozart:
Thanks for posting this.

... and I can pass the video on to friends...good thread!

your welcome and thank you
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:17:30 AM EDT
I'm gonna be zip tying that thing tonight.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:25:34 AM EDT

If you watch the video, the reporter says they can do it by feel (don't need windows in door). Not hard to center up on the door then fish around till they find resistance. The plastic zip tie defense looks good.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:34:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2013 7:36:30 AM EDT by corwin1968]
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:
I'm gonna be zip tying that thing tonight.

Done. OP, thanks for the tip!

As a person who has lived thru an attempted break-in (door kicked in at 3:45 am while we slept), any and all home security advice is greatly appreciated.

For you guys who don't have reinforced steel striker plates on your door jambs and hinges...... GET THEM ASAP. They might just save your families lives.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:45:41 AM EDT
It's a good idea (along with a motion sensor in the garage).

Another nice idea would be a bare 220 wire hanging in front of the ziptied disconnector...
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:01:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2013 8:01:48 AM EDT by xenophon21]
Zip tying that shut, and having kids around, doesn't seem too smart to me.

If you are going to do this, at least do a down force check on the door to make sure it's goes back up if it meets resistance (aka lands on a child's leg/etc). Put a 2x4 or paper towel roll in the middle of where the door comes down. The door better go back up, if you have such an opener........
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:16:32 AM EDT
This was the first thing I fixed in the new place. The second was the ever so inviting large basement windows.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:17:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By xenophon21:
Zip tying that shut, and having kids around, doesn't seem too smart to me.

If you are going to do this, at least do a down force check on the door to make sure it's goes back up if it meets resistance (aka lands on a child's leg/etc). Put a 2x4 or paper towel roll in the middle of where the door comes down. The door better go back up, if you have such an opener........

Use a zip tie that can be broken by jerking on the handle but is strong enough to resist pulling by a coat hanger.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:20:24 AM EDT
Thanks for the information. Going home tonight to zip tie my emergency release.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:23:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
Use a zip tie that can be broken by jerking on the handle but is strong enough to resist pulling by a coat hanger.

Yeah, I can just see folks putting some thick ass zip tie in there.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:25:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2013 8:26:12 AM EDT by xenophon21]
By the way, those of you with Glocks should probably do the zip tie trick on your trigger. You know, so it doesn't accidentally go off. Just use a zip small enough that can be broken with a hard enough pull in an emergency.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:33:38 AM EDT
Not working on my mobile. Cliff notes?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:36:16 AM EDT
Gonna install a heavy duty tie wrap and take the handle off my garage door screen when I get home.

Thanks for posting.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:37:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Er_Mah_Gerd:

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:40:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2013 8:40:43 AM EDT by ED_P]
I don't have a garage door opener, but I've replaced my garage door lock once, and noticed how easy it'd be to break in.

Two whacks with a hammer pushing the handle in would be all it takes to displace the lock enough to cause the bars to disengage from their slot in the rails.

I put a padlock on the inside of my garage just above a roller to make it more of a pain if they break my lock.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:45:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BB:

Except the homies are in the garage hiding and they relock the garage door from the inside. Officers give it a quick push up. All locked here.

All outer doors and windows look secure. Can't get a hold of the homeowner (which happens most of the time). Officers leave with the bad guys inside.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:45:13 AM EDT
I hung an extension cord on mine with a frayed end.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:53:34 AM EDT
Now all the burglar has to do is figure out how to get past my two 90-lb German Shepherds.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:53:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2013 8:54:53 AM EDT by Hugo_Stiglitz]
That mofo is gonna be surprised when he opens the Garage and is met by the bitey twins.

I'm going to leave mine in the "vulnerable" condition and put up a camera for the lulz instead.

ETA: Poster above me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:00:15 AM EDT
They are all scum
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:01:07 AM EDT
good stuff
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:01:17 AM EDT
Solution: direct drive garage door opener with deadbolt.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:53:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Er_Mah_Gerd:

Burglars can stick a bent coathanger through a crack in your garage door and pull the emergency release cord or the lever it's attached to. Then they can just lift the door.
If you immobilize the lever with a small ziptie, it will be strong enough to stop the burglar but still allow you to operate the release in a real emergency by simply breaking the zip tie when you yank the cord.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:01:54 AM EDT
Come on in bro'.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:22:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By akethan:
Come on in bro'.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/akethan/001-1_zps389f9837.jpg

Demon dogs!

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:29:35 AM EDT
I have a big cable strap through mine. I also have a welding magnet epoxied to the back of the garage door with a side cutter sticking on it to snip the tie for emergency egress. I am tall enough to reach it without assistance, the wife needs a three step stool.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:04:15 AM EDT
A bump key is faster, and can be done on a door away from public view.

A brick, rock, piece of patio furniture through the rear door glass is even faster.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:17:05 AM EDT
This is an older trick. I've seen it before a few years ago. I don't have a garage door opener, but if I get one, I'll be sure to use the zip-tie method.

BTW, where they hell are they buying $5 zip ties?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top