Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2001 11:29:19 AM EDT
From your experience, is it better to make a gun purchase in the beginning of the show on Saturday Morning or do you get better pricing at the end of the show on Sunday late afternoon?

On Sat. morning, you most likely get the pick of the litter and perhaps get the good deal before anyone else gets them BUT is can be argued that dealers don't look forward to packing all the stuff/gun away and most likely give you a better price on the gun you like to purchase.

What has been your experience?
BTW, anyone going to the Richmond, VA show this weekend at Showplace?
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
You know that Mr. Murphy will be attending the show, and he'll buy that one of a kind deal that's just a bit overpriced on Saturday right before you get back there on Sunday.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're buying from individuals, it's always better to be there early and hang near the door.  If you're buying from a dealer at a table, it's always cheaper near the end of the show.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]
If you had asked me 5 or 6 years ago I would have said Sunday afternoon. But in today's world I simply make an offer. I was very suprised at the last gun show, I made offers on some 20 round used AR mags (he wanted 25.00 I offered 15.00) and the dealer went for it. I find that some dealers come in over priced and quickly realize it.
Remember, the worst they can say is NO. Just make it a fair offer and you may be suprised.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Would not the usage of some familiar real-estate terms somewhat modify the standard notion that buying early will bring better choices while buying late may get you some better deals? After all, this has become a seller's market since Sept. 11 and It is doubtful that you are going to see dealers desperate to turn inventories. Prices are at a premium and tend to stay closer to that through the duration of the shows.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
As a general rule, Saturday is a good time to sell, as the dealers buy thinking they will have time to move it there. Sunday afternoon is a good time to buy because the sellers don't want to pack any more hardware home than they have to. They would rather have the cash. I've seen guys that go to the show, buy guns from people walking in, walk the show and sell them themselves, and repeat the process throughout the show. I've sold several guns right at the front inspection tables. Though, most of the time, those guys are looking for the Rube, who will take $50.00 for grand dads's old Remington Rand .45. (i'm not that gullible, I got $100.00 for mine..:).
The caveat here is that if you spot a rare item, or one that you really want on Saturday, I wouldn't wait till sunday to try and buy it. It will probably be gone. I've found items at the front tables I wanted, and decided to wait till I walked the show before I bought anything. I went back to the tables where I saw what I wanted, and it was gone. And I've had the oposite happen. Buy something at the front, and find a better deal further back into the show. So it's really hard to give a precise answer here.  I do try to go on saturday's to sell, and Sunday's to buy. As far as ammo and accessories go, I've found better deals on the net than at the shows. But if you are in a hurry, then it's cash and carry at the shows. I prefer to buy my guns face to face. I don't care much for doing paperwork, so I try to deal with individuals, or dealers selling "Private" stock.
Gun shows are fun, and a good place to do hands on research before you buy.
Enjoy them while you still can.

Rich
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top