Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 7:38:19 PM EDT

i was wondering how many of you keep a firearm in your vehicle all winter... and have you had any rust / corrosion issues?  i dont think we get temperature changes fast enough to cause condensation on the firearm, but i could be wrong.

so, other than the fact that it gets really cold when you moved it from under your seat to the inside of your pocket... has anyone had problems keeping firearms in vehicles in cold weather???
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have occasionlly left a firearm in the trunk during cold weather.  The heat and cold cause condensation which WILL rust anything not protected.  If you have a car or truck gun, you really need to have a good finish on everything you can, and also oil the heck out of it IMO.  And redo it every month or so.

Or, use a stainless weapon, such as a Remmy marine magnum......
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]
i use to keep my G29 in my truck....no real problems

the only problems that i was worried about was the ammo--condensation might screw w/ it, but i cycle it every now and then and no problems so far
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
[kidvoice]Whats winter, papa?[/kidvoice]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Rust?

I keep my car in the garage when it gets below 50 degrees those few times a year it gets that cold.

When I lived in Everett Washington I had no problems with my car pistols. The key is to not keep them in something that's going to retain moisture like leather or a gun rug.

+1

i forgot that its best to keep em aired out and able to "breath" and not retain moisture on em

unless its in an ammo can w/ some decassants....might have to try that and see what happens
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have occasionlly left a firearm in the trunk during cold weather.  The heat and cold cause condensation which WILL rust anything not protected.  If you have a car or truck gun, you really need to have a good finish on everything you can, and also oil the heck out of it IMO.  And redo it every month or so.

Or, use a stainless weapon, such as a Remmy marine magnum......

The Marine Magnum is nickle plated and WILL rust if left in damp conditions for too long.  It will fair better than a parked or blued firearm, but if you want something that you can leave and forget about, look into getting a Benelli Nova H20.  It uses a higher quality nickel plating and EVERY metal part is plated... unlike the 870.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry but keeping a gun unattended in your car is just negligent.  Everytime one is stolen and ends up on the streets, that just feeds the anti-gunners, not to mention what could happen to with it in the hands of someone that would steal it. Just take it inside.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The Saiga Sporter rides in the pickup inside a cheap nylon gun case, along with a handful of kittie litter silica dissicant knotted up inside an old sock. Every 6 months or so, it gets an inspection and a quick CLP wipedown - has never shown the slightest inclination to rust, even after the occasional thunderstorm soaking.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:07:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sorry but keeping a gun unattended in your car is just negligent.  Everytime one is stolen and ends up on the streets, that just feeds the anti-gunners, not to mention what could happen to with it in the hands of someone that would steal it. Just take it inside.

They can be stolen from your house just as easily.

I'm not going to live my life based on the possibility that a criminal might steal something from me and I'm sure as HELL not going to base my choices on what the anti-gunners think.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not going to live my life based on the possibility that a criminal might steal something from me and I'm sure as HELL not going to base my choices on what the anti-gunners think.

Ditto. Though the one and only time my car has been broken into they were specifically looking for a gun.

A Kel-Tec Sub-2000 folded up in a first aid box under the seat or in the trunk would be a nice trunk gun. Now I don't just have the CCW pistol (or two), I have a pistol caliber carbine with larger capacity magazines.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:22:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I leave my v-match in my truck (in the garage) all winter. It warms up slow and cools down slow, and isn't confined to a case. Up till now I've never had any sort of problem. Rapid temp. changes cause condensation, and I've gone out and brought my rifle into the warm house when it was below 0* before and the rifle instantly turned a frosted grey. That's where problems can start, guns need to breathe.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

the idea of ONE more gun ( if mine was stolen from my truck ) being on the streets doesnt scare me as much as me being on the streets WITHOUT my gun.  if someone wants my gun bad enough they'll get it, whether its in my truck or house.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#13]
google "VCI bags" Might be an answer to your rust problem.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#14]
google "Glock Handguns"

tennifer for the win
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

But they could break into my apartment as well.  I keep one in the car because the odds are that my apartment and my car will not be broken into at the same time.  Last thing I want is to be robbed and have no means of self-defense.  Also, in the event of a shooting the cops may take all guns in my apartment for testing.  If that happens, at least I have one in my car.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Just as easily?  Jimmying a car and grabbing the gun is as easy as breaking into a house and taking it from a safe or an armed owner?

I'm not going to live my life based on the possibility that a criminal might steal something from me ....

Do you lock your door?  Do you own a gun to protect yourself?!?!? Surprise, you already live your life "based on the possibility that a criminal might steal something" you.  Taking it inside is just being responsible, not some sanctimonious capitulation.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Taking it inside is just being responsible, not some sanctimonious capitulation.

Actually, taking a Kalishnikov rifle along with me inside a Wal-Mart, Wendy's, the local post office, my corner gas station or any of the other several dozen places I regularly visit probably wouldn't be viewed as being particularly "responsible".

A gun is utterly useless if you don't have it nearby when you need it. For all practical purposes, that means keeping it in the vehicle.

However, if that idea makes you wet your panties, please feel free to leave your guns locked in your safe at home.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Taking it inside is just being responsible, not some sanctimonious capitulation.

Actually, taking a Kalishnikov rifle along with me inside a Wal-Mart, Wendy's, the local post office, my corner gas station or any of the other several dozen places I regularly visit probably wouldn't be viewed as being particularly "responsible".

A gun is utterly useless if you don't have it nearby when you need it. For all practical purposes, that means keeping it in the vehicle.

However, if that idea makes you wet your panties, please feel free to leave your guns locked in your safe at home.

Better yet, let's just not own guns.  That way the criminals can never steal them.

You know a safe won't stop a determined criminal anyway.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I keep and carry guns for the remote REMOTE possibility that a criminal will attempt to rob/harm me.  Preparing for one remote possibilty while ignoring another is just a foolish and self defeating.

You should have your carry gun on you at all times anyway.  Needing a seperate pistol to keep in the car should not have to be necessary.  If accessability is a issue, take your carry gun out of the holster and put it in a more accessable place until you arrive where you're going.

If your car gets stolen, you have just given your gun to a criminal.  A car is a lot easier to get back than a gun.  I'd be willing to bet that as soon as they tossed your car for anything of value, they would find the gun, take it, and ditch the car.  You may get your car back, but you'll never see your gun again, and you will have to live with knowing that YOUR gun is now going to be used for crime, and most likely become fuel to the anti's fire.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope.  I keep my Glock in my truck year round.  No problems.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#21]
So I have to put in a fireplace for my Glock in the car now?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the idea of ONE more gun ( if mine was stolen from my truck ) being on the streets doesnt scare me as much as me being on the streets WITHOUT my gun.  if someone wants my gun bad enough they'll get it, whether its in my truck or house.

Jesus, reading comprehension seems to be a problem here.  I didn't say don't carry in the car, i said don't leave them there.  If you're worried about being without them, best not to leave em out to get stolen.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#23]

google "Glock Handguns"

tennifer for the win

I'll consider that when my Kevlar vehicle interior arrives...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top