Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2001 11:09:32 AM EDT
First full summer in N.C.  Move quite frequently, but since I'm here "for good" (probably another year), bought an inexpensive gunsafe for four rifles.  Window a/c in bedroom, ceiling fan in room as well.  Run a/c in evening, run ceiling fan during the day.  Temp in room during the day around 80 degrees (not extremely high humidity due to ceiling fan).  Bought 2 "silicone gel paks" for safe.  Card (came with the silicone packs) inside of safe turns pink (blue to pink is a warning sign of moisture) only after 5 days in safe.  I open the safe up about once a week.  The safe isn't airtite, so there has to be some circulation from room air into the safe (should be no drastic air temp difference between inside safe air and room air.  Why the quick change in the card color?  If the air inside the safe is getting hit by the a/c at night (cold air on the safe surface), would this temp. difference be the cause?  What do you guys do down here in the South for gun storage?  Checked guns and they look fine.  I may be "over worrying", but I'd not like to take a chance.  Any input would greatly be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#1]
GET A GOLDENROD FOR YOUR SAFE ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a lot of confidence in those color indicator cards.  A tried and true method I use is to put a half of cup of sugar in the safe.  To check for excessive moisture look to see if the grains are starting to clump together when you hold the cup on an angle and tap it lightly on the side.  No clumping - no excessive moisture.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#3]
13F I agree with ECS. Buy a Goldenrod or similar heat element. Place it somewhere on the floor of safe (the lower the better is the idea)and this will keep the interior temp of your safe a few degrees warmer than the outside room temp. This will help alot. I have a Homak 8 gun case and bought a 12" Dri-Rod (same as a GoldenRod) installing it in bottom of my cabinet. Has worked great! As additional security against moisture build-up I placed a bag of dessicant in there as well. You might also think about putting closed cell foam weatherstrip around the door edges and consider caulking the corners where there are entry points to the safe with some silicone caulk etc. I admit I live in a bit different climate (Pacific NW) but this system has worked well for me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top