how do you explain to "someone on the fence" the importance of the second amendment in relation to all the recent (and future) gun control laws...
keep it short, sweet and simple...
this guy's got some valid arguments regarding the NRA...
hell, to most peeps who've studied the constitution, the bill of rights and the federalist papers, the second amendment basically confirms the rights of citizens in good standing to bear whatever arms the current infantry soldier bears...
so why does the NRA compromise on this?
and why do politics always seem to play a part in interpreting "shall NOT be infringed"...
and what does the future hold?
inquiring minds would like to know...
Think in broader terms than the Second Amendment.
People have an inalienable right to self-defense, and thus the effective tools to defend themselves.
It is not the Second Amendment which grants this right, it merely affirms it. Keep this in mind.
The NRA compromises because it must. Some will tell you that the NRA wants to take away this gun but not that gun, but I call BS on that. I've written to the NRA-ILA and they say they fully advocate repealing NFA '34, but it's just not possible.
Politics play a part because some people believe they have a right to feel safe and are intimidated with guns. They do not care what rights other possess, and resort to political arm-twisting to rid themselves of this immature fear.
The future holds what you, I, and the rest of humanity make of it.
Right, the Constitution is only suppose to stop government from passing laws against Rights that we already have. Think of it like this. We're not humans anymore, we're Tigers. Now we want to write up a Constitution to protect us from the government that we're forming here in Tigerville. So for the 2nd. Amend. in that document we put. " A well maintained Tiger, being necessary to the security of Tigerville, the Right of Tigers to keep their claws and teeth sharp, shall not be infringed.". You see, we've already got claws and teeth, they were given to us by God, Nature, Birth. But so the newly formed government won't try to take our claws and teeth from us and there by make us defenceless, we make sure to put in writting that the government can't take our claws and teeth. They didn't give them to us and us putting them in writting doesn't give them to us, Nature gave them to us, we're just protecting the Right to have them. This is why it's so hard for me to understand how Congress can pass a law making me have to pay a $200 dollar tax and submit to a background check just to own a full auto. My Right to own a FA was given to me by God, not by government so how in heck can they take it away? The answer is that they can take away a Right ONLY if WE let them take it. We don't fight for a Right so we loose it by default. That's why we must stand up for our Rights or we'll loose them. Even if you never intend to carry a CW you should still get a permit to show your support for it. I know that sounds strange, a permit for a Right, but that's the Right of the States, to pass laws regulating firearms and we have to live with them until we can change them. Remember, the Constitution is a Federal paper, not a State paper. It stops the Federal government from infringment, not the State government. Anyway, that's my take on things.
In the amendments to the Constitution the people are telling the government what it can't do.
What I like to do is have them read all the Amendments except the 2nd.
Then give them the 2nd to read. It almost always works unless they just don't WANT to believe.
They pretty much explain themselves.
Start beating on them. Once they start crying just laugh at them and ask; " What are you going to do? You don't have a gun"
Then hit them again and walk away. Schools over.
1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.
3. Glock: The original point and click interface.
4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.
5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?
6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
7. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
8. If you don't know your rights you don't have any.
9. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.
10. The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
11. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
12. The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.
13. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.
14. Guns only have two enemies: rust and liberals.
15. Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.
16. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.
17. 911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.
18. Assault is a behavior, not a device.
19. Criminals love gun control -- it makes their jobs safer.
20. If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.
21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.
22. You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
23. Enforce the "gun control laws" we have, don't make more.
24. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.
25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
26. "...A government of the people, by the people, for the people..."
P.S. True Gun control is the ability to put all your rounds in the X ring !