Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2005 11:37:31 PM EDT
I am part of the NG relief effort here. when I posted earlier asking if there where other ARFCOMers here I got 2 replies asking about violation of civil rights and what was happening with gun rights here.
we where briefed by a JAG colonel on "rules of force" before we hit the ground. One thing made VERY VERY clear: "...now ya'll are gonna see people with guns, that don't mean anything. You gotta watch what the're doing. They got a right to defend themselves, 'specially now..."

we have found caches of weapons. beat to crap handguns and new ones with that "just looted" smell. we have turned those in (where they go is above my pay grade). The last big find was 44 assorted rifles and shotguns and 19 handguns. This was not a personal collection, but a criminal stash.

I know of no violations of the 2nd ammendment carried out by guardsmen. I cannot speak for LEOs, but I'd be surprised.

as far as violating civil rights. I haven't. I also have not seen it or heard of it happening in my little corner of the city.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:49:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 11:57:13 PM EDT by Moof]

Originally Posted By midwinter:

I also have not seen it or heard of it happening in my little corner of the city.

Thanks for checking in. Good to hear from someone who is actually there. Hopefully folks will read the line above before jumping to conclusions and...well...clobbering you needlessly.

(It's a big city, guys, with lots of different agencies and units on the ground, some behaving appropriately, others not.)

ETA: Edited for clarity.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:29:47 AM EDT
Former Guardsman here....

I went through the LA Riots and the Earthquakes, and not one time was there ever any taking firearms from Citizens, or moving them out of their locations..

You make sure to do the right thing, and do not let any fellow soldier get away with anything that is not lawful.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:51:21 AM EDT
Good to hear you are ok, hope the time to wrap it up and go home comes quickly for your unit.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:10:07 AM EDT
Thanks for checking in midwinter. Yep - MIL seems to understand that guns are not the threat. It's an enemy who's the threat. Sorry you have to be the ones to restore peace (in fact, I hate MIL deployment to restore peace inside USA) but sometimes I guess that's what it takes. Stay safe bro and make it happen. The good folks in NOLA need your help.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:19:25 AM EDT
thanks for the report.. I may be going down to MS here shortly for my employer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:45:16 AM EDT
Nice to see that once eyes-on reports actually get posted that the initial reactions/ fears here were overblown, as is often the case.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:17:18 AM EDT
what does it smell like down there?

as bad as they say?

we appreciate you help!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:43:25 AM EDT
Good report Mid.

You have a responsibility to TEACH your fellow guardsmen about the constitution - and what needs to be done should y'all be given an order that violates its sanctity

Keep up the good work.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:58:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tc556guy:
Nice to see that once eyes-on reports actually get posted that the initial reactions/ fears here were overblown, as is often the case.

Yeah, clearly overblown...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=389933

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=388209

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=388725

(By the way, tc556guy, your silence has not gone unnoticed in these threads. You really should pop in and say 'hello'. You know, just to be friendly.)

Thanks again, midwinter. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:06:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By midwinter:
I am part of the NG relief effort here. when I posted earlier asking if there where other ARFCOMers here I got 2 replies asking about violation of civil rights and what was happening with gun rights here.
we where briefed by a JAG colonel on "rules of force" before we hit the ground. One thing made VERY VERY clear: "...now ya'll are gonna see people with guns, that don't mean anything. You gotta watch what the're doing. They got a right to defend themselves, 'specially now..."

we have found caches of weapons. beat to crap handguns and new ones with that "just looted" smell. we have turned those in (where they go is above my pay grade). The last big find was 44 assorted rifles and shotguns and 19 handguns. This was not a personal collection, but a criminal stash.

I know of no violations of the 2nd ammendment carried out by guardsmen. I cannot speak for LEOs, but I'd be surprised.

as far as violating civil rights. I haven't. I also have not seen it or heard of it happening in my little corner of the city.

Thanks for your Service, Soldier!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:02:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Moof:
(By the way, tc556guy, your silence has not gone unnoticed in these threads. You really should pop in and say 'hello'. You know, just to be friendly.)

I've been in Alabama for two weeks. No net, no TV, very few newspapers even. I've spent the last two days just catching up on threads here.I don't see anything in your links to post about.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:19:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tc556guy:

I don't see anything in your links to post about.

Uh...okiefine. As one of this boards most vocal LEO's, I think it would have valuable to the membership as a whole to hear your opinion regarding the confiscations in New Orleans. Clearly many other officers felt the situation grave enough to quickly offer theirs. Nonetheless, I respect your decision to remain silent.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:21:53 PM EDT
Stay safe.

Don't catch cooties.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:37:17 PM EDT
I was down there with the boat rescue efforts, we saw some thugs who checked out not to be hotel security like they said they were! midwinter drop me an e-mail for further details...

The smell was horrible in the Northern neighborhoods between Ponchertrain and I-10.

I too did not see or experience all the constitution bashing and the 10's of thousands dead that have been reported! We saw about a dozen DOA, and we rescued 14. (we got there later on) We had another 30-40 turn us down for evac. They were going to stay. Not sure where their food or clean water was comming from...

We did not force evacs!

We did not confiscate nor see weapons other than the 4 "security guards" -Hell we were told not to engage them at that time.

We didn't shoot any dogs! (though a lot of them were pretty sick looking!)
Top Top