Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 12:05:32 PM EDT
i really need to invest in a good cleaning rod, ive really never had a nice one. ive always used outers 2 piece aluminums and they are junk. the reason for the question is because im looking for one with some flexibility in it so i would be able to clean a garand from the chamber end on the firing line by flexing over the receiver. also what would be a good general length to get, i dont want to buy multiple $20+ rods when one can do the trick for everything. i have barrels from 16" ak/ar's  to 29"(i think) assorted mausers. tia
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a bore snake.  Drop into one end of barrrel then pull out other end.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
i already have a .30 bore snake and i love it but i really need a rod because i will be shooting corrossive ammo and need to run a patch with cleaner then oil to prevent corroding before making the trip home from the range. please dont reccomend an otis pull through, ive had one and hated it and sold it off.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
carbon fiber. Boresnakes are nice for a quick clean but they still leave a lot of stuff behind.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#5]
which brand carbon fiber/graphite and what length do I need for a 20" and a 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get a bore snake.  Drop into one end of barrrel then pull out other end.

And then when you want to clean your bore get a coated rod.

The snake is nice but on my non-crome bores it's next to useless.  It gets the big gunk out but I'll still be using a rod if I want it to actually get it clean.  I'm not sure what the coating is on my pro-shot rod, but my FAL barrel went from being a 30 min job with snakes and the the Otis kit, to being a 10 minute job with the rod and some patches.  I can just use the brush better and get it done faster.  I got the 40" rod since I have some longer barrels and actions that I didn't want to come up short for.

It does flex alot on the AR's but I got a bore guide for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top