Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2007 6:50:18 PM EDT
I am graduating in may, I need to start looking for a job.  I want something in weapons development preferably in small arms.  What are some companies to look at?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
we need a job forum, good luck with your search
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I forgot to mention that I am going to be a mechanical engineer.  I just would like a list of companies that I could look into.  Small arms have always been my dream job, but there are not that many companies in Kansas that are producing any.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#3]
There is Kel-Tec in FL, for starters.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#4]
That would be an interesting job.  I have a couple of kel tec's products and they are great.  They are also a fast growing company with some neat upcoming products.  (bullpup 308)
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Thought about doing it as a hobby, and working somewhere else full time.  I live near wichita and the aerospace industry there is snatching up every engineer they can.  I just really do not want to do that.  I guess it is my fall back.  

I am just getting into a hurry.  I burned a month going through a bunch of interviews for a different company.  There were a few hundred apps for the job and I made it to the top three.  They flew me out and interviewed me for the whole next day for my second interview.  I really thought that I had the job.  I ended up waiting three weeks before I heard from them again.  I did not think that was long because it was almost a month before I heard back from them on the first interview.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
There's this company near Nashvill that dabbles in .50s and is developing a 20mm shoulder fired weapon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
any name?  or even something close so that I could do a google search?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Glock needs you...
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
any name?  or even something close so that I could do a google search?

Just a guess, but try "Barrett".

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am graduating in may, I need to start looking for a job.  I want something in weapons development preferably in small arms.  What are some companies to look at?

I can get you a job starting at 17 to 20 bucks an hour with 80 bucks a day per diem if you want something to get you by untill you find a job in weapons.

That is what we start people off at just out of high school with no k nowledge of electrical.

pm me if you want a shot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the offer.  Where are you at and what is the going rate for mechanical engineers in the area?  Also, what do you do?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Where is Barrett located?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Always looking for a few good men ...

... www.boeing.com/

... jobs.boeing.com/JobSeeker/JobSearch
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Boeing is one of my fall backs since I live so close to wichita.  It seems like a good place to work.  I have a few friends that worked there before they sold off part of their plant to Spirit Aerosystems.  Now all my friends work there at Spirit.  

I just really do not want to get into the aerospace industry, unless I have too.

I would like to learn more about the Colorado job.  I read the thread and I must admit it is interesting.  Where is Meeker?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#17]

I'm going out on a limb here to help AFRCOMMERS and ARFCOMMER's kids a good summer job.

Right now we are building a gas plant in Meeker, Co for a pipeline that will run from Meeker to Chicago. Right now we are currently half way on the first of six plants that will be in the Colorado area. I'm guessing about maybe 4 to 6 years of work.

Here are the pay scales, this is Electrical and Instrumentation.

Helpers: $17 - $21 per hour depending on experience plus $80 a day per diem

Journeymen: $24 - $28 an hour depending on experience and certifications plus $100 a day per diem.

Foremans, techs, and supervision: $30 and depending on experience and certifications plus $100 a day per diem.

Must be 18 years of age, and have good communication skills.

Call Frank Decee at 832-407-2373 and he will give you a fax number to send a resume to.

Wesley
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=569632

I have to agree. Not exactly the field you are looking for but a great starting pay and a good way to get some real world experience. A year of that saved properly would make a nice downpayment on a house.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#19]
get thee to Dice.com, careerbuilder etc, ive been playing that game for a  month now
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Thinking that next week I am going to put the resume on monster, and possible carrear builder, but I have never heard of dice.com.  Are they any good?

I am really mostly interested in what small arms companies there are, that might be looking for engineers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#21]
dice seems to be good for tech jobs, Monster has just pissed me off, seems to be all adds, the search engine blows etc.

usajobs.com for all federal jobs
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, I will check it out.  

How hard is it to get a job at Smith and Wesson, Colt, FN, to name a few?  Is there any need for engineers?

Later I am going to do some seaches on their web pages.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I just looked at bushmasters web site and there is no mention of any job oppertunities.  I may try to email them later this week.  

Most of the websites that I have visited dealing with small arms deal with sales and not careers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

from:cpolwapp.belvoir.army.mil/public/vabSelfNom/getresultsvab

Job Announcement
  DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
Vacancy Announcement Number: NEAC07887702D

Changes to the Job Announcement: 03/27/07 - Amended "Duties" and "About this position" sections of this announcement.

Opening Date: March 27, 2007 Closing Date: April 27, 2007

Position:  DB-4:SUPERVISORY GENERAL ENGINEER(0801), SUPERVISORY MECHANICAL ENGINEER(0830), SUPERVISORY CHEMICAL ENGINEER(0893), SUPERVISORY PHYSICAL SCIENTIST(1301), SUPERVISORY PHYSICIST(1310), SUPERVISORY CHEMIST(1320)
Salary: $93,822 - $143,471 Annual

Place of Work:  US ARMY RESEARCH LABORATORY, WEAPONS AND MATERIALS RESEARCH DIRECTORATE, TERMINAL EFFECTS DIVISION, ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, MARYLAND

Position Status:  This is a Permanent position. -- Full Time  
Number of Vacancy: 01

Duties: You will serve as Chief, Explosives Technology Branch, managing professional and technical work of approximately 30 government scientists, engineers, and technicians as well as 20 on-site contract support personnel. The work involves the management and coordination of research programs in energetic material behavior and crew/component survivability. You will develop solutions to scientific challenges directly related to energetic materials and their applications, in particular in the areas of sensitivity and formulation of novel propellants and explosives; explosives applications; response of munitions and energetics to attack; and the effect of high-rate reactions, to include blast and landmine effects on structures and crew/ component survivability in weapons platforms. You will identify technological challenges and develop, advocate, and manage a world class research and exploratory development program that solves near, mid, and far term problems in the area of energetic materials.

About the Position: The U.S. Army Research Laboratory (ARL) is participating in an alternative personnel system known as the Laboratory Personnel Demonstration Project (DEMO). Among other features, the Demonstration Project replaced GS grade levels with occupational families and pay bands. The pay band DB-04 is equal to the former GS-14 step 01 through GS-15 step 10.

THIS IS AN INTERDISCIPLINARY POSITION AND MAY BE FILLED WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE OCCUPATIONS.

This position is located at Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG) which is in Harford County, Maryland, along the Northern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay. APG sits on more than 72,500 acres and offers recreation, sports, golf, pools, and child/day care facilities.

The Research Laboratory is recognized as a frontier for Army research programs with substantial affect on national defense issues and new technology areas. To learn more about the Army Research Laboratory you can check their website at
www.arl.army.mil

Who May Apply: (Click on Who May Apply)
THIS IS A DELEGATED EXAMINING ANNOUNCEMENT, OPEN TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligibles.

Qualifications: Click on link below to view qualification standard.
General Schedule

ENGINEERS: Degree in professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.

PHYSICAL SCIENTIST: Degree in physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics.

PHYSICIST: Degree in physics; or related degree that included at least 24 semester hours in physics.

CHEMIST: Degree in physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics.

IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE, YOU MUST ALSO POSSESS THE FOLLOWING: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the former GS-13 grade level.

SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE is defined as energetic material formulation and processing, novel propellants and explosives; explosives applications; munitions and energetics, high-rate reactions, and blast and landmine effects on structures and crew/component survivability in weapons platforms. The Ability to supervise a diverse work force of government scientists, engineers, and technicians. Ability to manage a branch with numerous diverse experimental facilities and on-site contractors to include safety, security, environmental, and government-contractor relations; ability to successfully develop, manage, advocate and obtain funding support for multi-disciplinary research and technology initiatives.

Basic Requirement: Must have a bachelor's degree that is directly related to this position.

GS-13 and above: One year of experience directly related to the occupation equivalent to at least the next lower grade level. There is no substitution of education for experience at this level.

The experience described in your resume will be evaluated and screened for the Office of Personnel Management's basic qualifications requirements, and the skills needed to perform the duties of this position as described in this vacancy announcement.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - www.opm.gov/qualifications and www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html

The related work experience must have been equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the next lower grade level.

Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please include this information in your resume.

Other Information:(Click on Other Information)

To successfully claim veteran's preference, your resume/supplemental data must clearly show your entitlement. Please review the information listed under the Other Requirements link on this announcement or review our on-line Job Application Kit.
Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
The Department of Defense (DoD) policy on employment of annuitants issued March 18, 2004 will be used in determining eligibility of annuitants. The DoD policy is available on www.cpms.osd.mil/fas/staffing/pdf/rem_ann.pdf

This is a Career Program Position (CP). # 16
Permanent Change of Station (PCS) expenses will be authorized.
Temporary Duty (TDY) travel is 20 percent.
Defense National Relocation Program will not be authorized.

Other Advantages: The Department of Army offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes comprehensive health and life insurance; generous retirement programs; long-term care insurance; paid holidays, sick leave, and vacation time; flexible work environment and alternate work schedules.

Other Requirements:(Click on Other Requirements)

Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.

Must file annual financial statement.

You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.

If selected, official college or university transcript must be submitted.
One-year supervisory probationary period required.

Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.

Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.

This is a DOD Demonstration Project position.

You may claim Military Spouse Preference.

Applicants claiming veteran's preference must clearly show an entitlement to such preference on the resume/supplemental data submitted.

Extended probationary period for the Engineers and Scientists Occupational Family will be three years. Extended probationary period for all other Occupational Families will be two years.

Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in the vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
One year trial/probationary period may be required.

How to Apply: (Click on How to Apply)

Resumes must be received by the closing date of this announcement.
Self-nomination must be submitted by the closing date.
Resume must be on file in our centralized database.
Announcements close at 12:00am (midnight) Eastern Time.

If your resume is currently in our central database, you may click here to Self Nominate  
Click here to use the Army Resume Builder to create your resume. Follow the instructions in this vacancy announcement to apply for the job.  

Point of Contact: Central Resume Processing Center, 410-306-0137, [email protected]  
THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER

---------------------------------------------

Does this sound INTERESTING?

PEO Soldier oversees Small Arms Development (PM Weapons)

I think you would be interested in: Working for PM Weapons
I believe they are over at Ft. Belvoir, VA.

There are a slew of other jobs posted..but I won't bore you. Go and check them out..if you see any you like and think you are qualified...apply.

Just make sure that you have a job to support yourself while you go through the Application process..as it is very slow moving.

acpol.army.mil/employment/
cpol.army.mil/cgi-bin/permiss/tree.cgi?MainSection=RPP
Also TACOM does interesting stuff.

Happy Hunting

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#25]
+1 for an Arfcom nepetism job board.  

I'm getting bored, having been out of work for 3 months now....
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#26]

To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.

This job sound interesting. I meet the requirements and have taken virtually all of these classes except for a couple of them like the optics and soil mechanics

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Well I have to go to bed now.  I will check back in during the morning.  There have been some really good ideas.  Please keep them coming.  I apreciate everyones ideas.
And again, Thank you to everone passing me ideas.

Casey
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Spirit or GE in Wichita.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#29]
L3 Communications

Although they do not specialize in small arms, they are a huge defense contractor......with tons of jobs available....
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#30]
L3 is an option. I know  a guy that works there, and I will have to ask him some questions about the company.  

I did not know that GE was in wichita.

I looked into FN herstal.  There website said that they had nothing availible.  I might still send them a resume if they will accept it.

I also looked into Smith and Wesson.  They need some technitions.  I do not know what that would be though?

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Just checked Colt's website, and they have nothing availible.  Not even any open jobs listed on their website.

Also checked DPMS's site and they do not even have any links for employment.  Mostly it deals with the product line and history of the company.

I guess that I am going to have to make some calls tommorrow.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Boeing. They are hiring like crazy these days
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Yep, they are.  They are one of the companies that I am using as a back up if I cannot find something in small arms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top