Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2008 3:19:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 3:32:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/1/2008 3:36:58 PM EST by brassburn]
Take a look at the Bomgar appliances. I think the 100 model (?) is the right fit if you only need 1 or 2 support users.

ETA: Just saw that you had some price concerns about those products. The Bomgar stuff is going to run around $2000 a license plus yearly update/support fees.


Link Posted: 6/1/2008 3:45:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:07:45 PM EST
I use the free version of logmein.com. Works for surfing arfcom while I am at work.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:17:33 PM EST
I use the free logmein to help my mother in law with stuff in MS. I also use it to access my laptop when I am at work. It seems to work pretty well. I dig the fact that it sets up it's own tunnel so you don't have to configure any port forwarding on the router, makes things easier.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:22:54 PM EST
Neither, use/enable RDP and use port 3389. It's free.

If your company will let you, request access to company VPN to let you in, then RDP.

Just like having your desktop at work. It IS your desktop. :)
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:51:53 PM EST
For 90% of our clients, I use my own VPN account on their VPN/Router/Firewall box. Establish a connection and RDP from there. On the other 10% that don't have a VPN solution, half of them we have enabled RDP on their servers and set the firewall to accept incoming connections only from our IP's on that port. The other half of those, we just put them on our logmein account that we have. Currently we have something like 110 servers or workstations on the logmein account.

For personal stuff, I use logmein on my PC's and my familie's PC's to support them.

-d
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:09:07 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:13:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By cruze5:
i thought logme in was a 30 day trial...

The free version for home use doesn't have a trial period. But doesn't have features such as file transfer and others.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:30:49 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:38:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2008 5:39:32 AM EST by BeetleBailey]
we use Gotomypc at work at the 15 user account connection level, and it works flawlessly, imho. Easy to set up too. Not familiar with the other program

eta: why not use remote desktop?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:26:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By kapkirk:
Neither, use/enable RDP and use port 3389. It's free.

If your company will let you, request access to company VPN to let you in, then RDP.

Just like having your desktop at work. It IS your desktop. :)


Enable & open RDP over the default port to the internet?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:28:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:15:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By cruze5:

Originally Posted By Gator:

Originally Posted By kapkirk:
Neither, use/enable RDP and use port 3389. It's free.

If your company will let you, request access to company VPN to let you in, then RDP.

Just like having your desktop at work. It IS your desktop. :)


Enable & open RDP over the default port to the internet?


thats what im saying....

the only thing I use rdp for is internal lan stuff. not so much over the interweb anymore


It's not so bad to do over a custom port with a strong password that you change frequently (like monthly).

A good freeware password utility: Keepass
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:06:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/5/2008 3:56:06 PM EST by JaxShooter]

Originally Posted By heffelfinger007:

Originally Posted By cruze5:
i thought logme in was a 30 day trial...

The free version for home use doesn't have a trial period. But doesn't have features such as file transfer and others.

I need to put the free version on my mom's and in-law's PCs so I don't have to go over there. Of course yesterday mom's connection was down so that wouldn't have helped. Right now I just use VNC and SFTP.

I use RemotelyAnywhere on my machine and it works great. I've had it for more years than I can remember.

ETA: w00t! Installed and remotely controlled.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:56:47 AM EST
If you use PCanywhere or others, you should change the ports you use! They are well known by hackers and those are open ports they scan for.

It's more of a PITA to set up, but much more secure.
How to change RDP listen port in Windows XP
Top Top