Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/18/2002 10:59:59 PM EDT
where is a good subdivison to live in seattle wa. ??????
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
How much $$ ya got?
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Bill Gates lives in Medina; Paul Allen lives on Mercer Island; Many of the professional athletes live in or near Mercer Island, Bellevue, Kirkland (Seahawks HQ) and Issaquah.  Maybe Bill or Paul can post and tell you what other houses they own in the Puget Sound area.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 1:10:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Seriously... Let's talk money and other things (i.e. school age children, hobbies, career type, etc.)

There are a lot of great places around here, but have different things to offer.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 1:13:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, there's a bunch of areas and $$ plays into it - also where you're planning on working (what area) has some to do with it, do you mind commuting with part of it being on a ferry, etc...

More info needed....
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 3:22:02 AM EDT
[#5]
How is Federal Way ?
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#7]
How about  Auburn or Eumclaw(sic?) ?????
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Try downtown around 2nd or 3rd and Pike.  Plenty of condos and "home-boys"...  just be sure to carry an extra back up! [;)]
On a more serious note...  family size, work location and income all play a part of what might be a good spot within which to live.
W
NB:  Federal Way has become a high crime area.  Was very nice once, but during these past 10 years the area has seen a real downward slide.  And...  you might NOT want to consider White Center, Sea-Tac (although they are trying to eliminate their petty crime problems), parts of Burien as well as portions of West Seattle.
On an up note, houseing may soon take a price drop due to all the lay offs that are being done over at the "Lazy B".
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Go find a place near the University of Washington.  Womenz everywhere!  And beware of a gun dealer by name of "Monty."  He likes to give it to people in the backside, and no he's not gay.  When you go to get your License to carry concealed pistol, they will ask you why you want the permit at the very end.  Just answer "self defense."  That question tripped me up.  Being from California I couldn't believe when the lady answered "that's a good a reason as any."  Good luck and stay dry!
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's my personal experience. It's good advise. Very good advice.

Anything south of Safeco Field in the downtown area should be fully ignored. It's total junk, on either side of I-5. Also, much of that area is under the flight path of incoming flights to Sea-Tac. Like the sound of roaring jumbo jets 500 feet over your house? Didn't think so. The rent is cheap, the neighborhoods are shit.

Living in the downtown area is expensive. Lot's of traffic and you can forget about it if you have a dog. That narrows your selection down to about 1% of everything available. If your a true urbanite, or fairly wealthy then consider it, otherwise there's better places to find a home.

The east side(Bellevue) is yuppie central. Mostly pretty expensive, and if you work on the west side(Seattle), the commute is a bitch on a good day. Traffic in general around Seattle is unbelievably bad. Though Wades Eastside Gun Shop & Range is the best in the whole area. Do yourself a HUGE favor and live on whatever side of I-5 you're going to be working.

North of Seattle, and west of I-5 is where I would direct you. The area right around the zoo(Wallingford & Greenlake I believe) is a pretty good neighborhood. It also affords an alternate route in to the city without having to go on I-5. Trust me, that's a BIG deal. Freemont is another, but probably one of the most artsy/liberal areas in the county. Nice places to live though.

Further north there's a couple of towns I would recommend. One is Shoreline. It's just off of Aurora Ave, which runs pretty much right in to Seattle as well. Rent is reasonable. Aurora Ave is fairly crappy, but if you live 3 or more blocks west of it, you would be in a different world. It's roughly 9-10 miles north of Seattle, still in King county.

My highest recomendation would be Richmond Beach. It's just west of Shoreline. Nice community, rent is reasonable, and you have a beach front park there that, surprisingly, is a VERY rare thing in the area. Nice place to relax and unwind. You'd think the whole place would be full of direct access to Puget Sound beaches, but you'd be wrong. There's only a couple of parks, and Shoreline/Richmond Beach has one of them.

There's another town called Edmonds. Quiet, nice. Also has water access. I little further away from Seattle, but the change in scenery is worth it. Buses are easy to get all through out the north west area of downtown.

Find a property manager or real estate broker, depending on if you're renting or buying. Have a check ready for first, last and deposit because places to live get grabbed VERY fast. If you're not serious i.e., no check in hand, you'll be skipped over in a heartbeat for someone who's got the money ready.

P.S. Anything further north of what I've mentioned here, and you might as well look for work in Everett. It's the biggest town north of Seattle.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you thought about Texas? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Gotta keep in mind what your job location (or likely job location) will be.  Seattle's geography puts some major constraints on travel, unless you really love sitting in traffic.

If your job location and finances can handle it, I would recommend Redmond or Issaquah.  (Bellevue is pretty foo-foo nowadays, although the Factoria area of Bellevue is still somewhat reasonable.)  Woodinville is also quite nice.

Bothell works out well if you are likely to be working at Boeing/Everett.

The Admiral district of Seattle works out well if you are likely to work at Boeing/Renton.

If you are working in downtown Seattle, I suggest a neighborhood along 99 -- Admiral, Greenlake, Wallingford.

Avoid south Seattle, Tukwila, Federal Way, and other points south.

Also avoid the Seattle neighborhoods of Belltown and White Center.  Be aware that realtors, landlords, house sellers, and so on try to call anywhere in White Center "West Seattle" to avoid the WC stigma -- I tried to get directions to a hardware store once, and they were about a block north of the little plaque that marks WC's center, but the bimbo on the phone insisted that they were "really in West Seattle".  Yeah, right -- White Center is actually a mathematical point in space, and nothing happens to be "in" it except that one point.[rolleyes]

A friend of mine bought a house in White Center, and sold out less than a year later, after the drug dealer living in the house behind his completely removed the head of the neighbor two doors south with a shotgun blast because he was annoyed over her ringing his doorbell to buy some crack.

Belltown is where all the low-level drug thugs hang out.  The Mardi Gras riot last year was basically these black assholes deciding to beat up some whiteys for fun, although the news media has done its best to avoid mentioning any aspect of race in its noncoverage of the situation.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll be working close to the airport ,income 65 to 85k i need a good high school too and I have to small dogs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By joe black:
I'll be working close to the airport ,income 65 to 85k i need a good high school too and I have to small dogs.
View Quote

You have [i]to[/i] small dogs that go to high school?
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Close to the airpost? In what direction? North? South? It's difficult to offer direction when you're only giving one sentence explanations.

Close to the airport is shitsville as far as living conditions. You really have only one choice and that is to live on the east side of I-5 south of Seattle.

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#19]
lol
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#20]
... Redmond
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I live in Shelton , and my wife commutes to Swedish Hospital in Seattle every day , great pay there and cheap housing here , not to mention living in the middle of tree fram country means I can go shooting whenever I want too . I would look into housing around say Auburn / Fife area .
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Still in high school with a part time job at the airport making 65 to 85k - now that good work!
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#23]
no the dogs are in high school
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Pioneer Square.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well I live in Shelton , and my wife commutes to Swedish Hospital in Seattle every day , great pay there and cheap housing here , not to mention living in the middle of tree fram country means I can go shooting whenever I want too . I would look into housing around say Auburn / Fife area .
View Quote

OUCH!!   That commute must suck (Shelton to Seattle).

71-Hour,   The Mardi Gras riots happened in Pioneer Square, not Belltown.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Welcome to Washington; now go home.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Bambridge or whidbey island... nothing comes cles as long as you don't mind comuting. It has been a while since I was in washington but the islands are very cool...pat
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I left Kirkland in 89 when I graduated from high school. I can't believe how badly things have changed. Overcrowding, crime, traffic and the cost of living are outrageous. My parents moved out to Stanwood a couple of years ago, much better than where I grew up. I'd say that if you're going to work at the airport (I assume Seatac) I'd look at places 30 miles at least to the south. Federal Way has always sucked.
If I could pick a place to live on the west side, I'd pick Darrington, cuz the mountains are so big and close. If I had to move back to Washington, I'd probably live on the east side of the mountains. It's sad that we all made fun of eastern Washington before, I used to call it western Idaho. Now I'd rather live there. I still love the mountains of back home the most, like the Alpine lakes area, the Enchantments and eveything from there until Canada. Oh, well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#29]
how's white center ??? how far time wise from airport ???
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Joe Black,

Working near Sea-Tac, you might want to look into West Seattle proper (not White Center or Delridge). Very nice neighborhoods (especially near Alki Beach which is very pricy) and quicker to the airport than many places.

Anywhere farther south and I will defer to others with better advice. I grew up north of Seattle in Shoreline. I currently live in Ballard and absolutely love it.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:41:29 AM EDT
[#31]
what is wrong with white center
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#33]
BEWARE OF PINNACLE REALTY CO.  I can't believe I forgot to mention this.  I lived in one of their brand new complexes up there called Ivy Ridge.  The rent was outlandish and the resident management girls were terrible (details omitted).  Not suprisingly, the turn around for the staff was so fast no one knew what was going on.  It took me over a year to get my rent deposit back.  That was only after I filed suit to the corporate big wigs in downtown Seattle.  Just though I should pass on my experience to you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Bambridge or whidbey island... nothing comes cles as long as you don't mind comuting. It has been a while since I was in washington but the islands are very cool...pat
View Quote

Whidbey Island is full. How about Concrete?[%|]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I agree with 71 Hour.  Let you job location dictate your place of resident.  The traffic over there is terrible.  As bad as Boston, Huston or LA.  Get as close to work as possible. It will improve your quality of life.

Don't know why you would want to move to Seattle.  The place is commie land big time.  The name of the county is Martin Luther King County for Christ sake!

If you want to move to Washington try the East side.  Lots of open areas and very gun friendly. Votes mostly conservative.  East Washington and East Oregon should be one state.  The West another.  That way the good guys would get their way every once in a while.  Can't stand to go over to the West side of the state.  Everything has to be P.C. or else you are a racist pig.

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, Belltown is where there were roving bands of young black men targeting single white guys strolling about during the evening to mug and then beat the shit out of. Someone even captured one such incident with their camcorder and it was shown on the local news.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I think all of Seattle proper is a shithole in general because of extremely liberal politics. Any place worth living in is unbelievably expensive.

Ballard and Magnolia come to mind as neighborhoods I would at least feel safe living in, but good luck finding anything reasonably priced there.

Personally, for the same money, I'd rather be making my mortgage payment on my house in Snohomish than paying some bloodsucking extortionist rent in Seattle. I often work at railyards in Ballard and just south of downtown Seattle. Working at night, my 40 mile commute only takes 45-50 minutes. Traffic is usually almost nil.

If I had to work near Sea-Tac and felt like relocating, I'd probably first look for something on the eastern outskirts of Renton, Kent, or Auburn.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How about Concrete?
View Quote

The town of Concrete?

The Treaty of Versailles signed 28 June, concluding WWI. Wireless telephone is invented, allowing pilots to talk in-flight. First non-stop flight across the Atlantic made by Briton John Alcock and American Arthur Whitten Brown, from Newfoundland to Ireland. KLM of the Netherlands is the world's first airline company. Physicist Ernest Rutherford discovers a means of splitting the atom.

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How about Concrete?
View Quote

Actually, Concrete would be a pretty cool place to live if you could find a decent job there or within reasonable commuting distance. Very rural, lot's of National Forest and timberland to go out and hunt, fish, and shoot on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Welcome to Washington; now go home.
View Quote

Yeah, no shit. I wish it would rain for about 2 years straight. That way most of the imports would either go back to where ever they came from or kill themselves. I'm sick of how population growth has ruined this area.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Joe.

1st rule, other than the NW corner of Seattle as described by others, stay out of Seattle proper. The Shoreline/Edmonds recommendations are good, but you are looking a 45 minute commute through the bulk of Seattle traffic to get to the airport area.

You could look about 10 miles east of SeaTAC, such parts of the cities of Kent or Issaquah, they could be affordable choices.  The cities straight south of Seattle should be avoided as 71-hour-achmed recommends.

The Eastside south of the King/Snohomish County border is expensive, but prices seem to settle down south of I-90 (which runs from Seattle and goes east).
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Ballard and Magnolia come to mind as neighborhoods I would at least feel safe living in, but good luck finding anything reasonably priced there.
View Quote

If your renting you renting Magnolia isn't too bad.  We rented there last year, $1000 for a little 3 bedroom duplex on Thorndyke, the crappy area of Magnolia, but still nicer than much of the rest of the city.  Had a view of downtown and the sound.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, Belltown is where there were roving bands of young black men targeting single white guys strolling about during the evening to mug and then beat the shit out of. Someone even captured one such incident with their camcorder and it was shown on the local news.
View Quote

So the drug dealers hopped on the 56 bus -- it's free from Belltown to downtown, and takes about five minutes.  Even drug dealers need a drink and a good fight every now and then. [stick]

[red]Joe Black[/red], I would recommend the Admiral district, which is at the north end of West Seattle.  You have two good routes to the airport from there:  West Seattle Bridge to I-5 to 518, [blue]or[/blue] West Marginal Way to 509 to 518.  The airport is on 518.  This trip takes less than fifteen minutes either way (barring an accident on the roadway).

Admiral is a fairly nice area.  You are 10 minutes from downtown, 15 from the airport, 20 to Boeing/Renton.  Alki Beach is a short walk.  Jet noise is pretty low, unlike the communities right around the airport (Burien).  Lots of shopping, new high school (instead of the "earthquake retrofit" they were supposed to do, they completely rebuilt the place and are reopening this coming August), decent grocery stores (the Thriftway is somewhat ridiculous -- they even have an olive bar), and a third-run theater (Admiral Theater, $3 any time, but the movies have been out for months by the time they get there).

Just be sure to buy west of 35th and north of Alaskan Way -- see my earlier note about "White Center" and the neighborhood inflation that takes place to make people think they're not buying in it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Alternate suggestion -- the Factoria neighborhood of Bellevue.  Only one route, I-405 to 518, and that gets crowded during normal commute times;  I'd guess 30 minutes.

Haven't heard much about the schools, but I assume they're good (it's Bellevue, after all).  Lots of shopping (Factoria Mall, or a few minutes to Bellevue Square), and the WSI gun range is there too.

I'd guesstimate that prices are going to be about $25K to $50K more than Admiral.  A friend got a good deal on a house there last year, though, and with the current recession, I'm not sure what housing prices are like there.  Microsoft's stock hasn't budged in three years, so prices aren't exploding like they were a few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Actually, Concrete would be a pretty cool place to live if you could find a decent job there or within reasonable commuting distance. Very rural, lot's of National Forest and timberland to go out and hunt, fish, and shoot on.
View Quote

50 +/- acres by Marblemount would be nice too. When the gate is closed on 20 very few people go up there. My problem is that I like the ocean.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#47]
AeroE...  I apologize.  Years ago I was a model maker at the joint.  Gave up on all that intensive labor and went to work for the City of Seattle...  now, talk about being able to lay back!  Prior to being with "The Big B", I was a switchman with the former Great Northern Railway...  which was another laid back job.  I presently live in "Frelard" i.e. half way between Fremont aka "The Center Of The Universe" and Ballard.  Is mid-income and nice.  My girlfriend lives in Kirkland.  Nice, but expensive.  I'm surprised that no one has suggested Three Tree Point.  It still seems to be a good area, and not that far from Sea-Tac.  Just a thought.
W
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#48]
This is all highly classified information designed to keep out the riff-raff...
OR,
This is all Top Secret DIS-information designed to lure in the undesirables.

Whatever it is:
IT RAINS ALL THE TIME HERE.
TRAFFIC SUCKS. (...unless you're the BusDriver [;D]...)

IT RAINS ALL THE TIME HERE.
TRAFFIC IS REALLY, REALLY SHITTY. (...see above)

IT'S GREY SKIES AND WET 90% OF THE YEAR.
TRAFFIC IS JUST [i]TERRIBLE!!![/i]

MOST OF THE PEOPLE ARE LIBERALS; SOCIALISTS; DEMOCRATS; OR OTHER BEAT-OFFS, I MEAN,
OFF-BEATS!
OH, AND TRAFFIC...

Hey, otherwise, it's just a pile of dogshit in a pristine setting.
What else can I say?!

Seriously, some of the advice from the others is quite correct.  Choose carefully and you'll love the Pacific NorthWest.
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Bellevue/Factoria Area is great.Good conservative area. Can still find a house in the desirable Newport hills area for 300K or less sometimes.15 min to airport if no trafic/if traffic is bad it could take a hour.
Great schools but not as good as Mercer Island but the housing cost less.

Grew up in  Seattle's beacon hill area and still have rental property there.Great melting pot area with lots of white folks moving back in after getting tired of the commute from the suburbs.

Median price of a house on the eastside is 340k
Seattle is 250k

Forget white center/bunch of holes and druggies there.

do like me. go to work at 4am and you have no problem with traffic.

Like the song saids"the bluest skies are in Seattle"

Welcome!!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Prior to being with "The Big B", I was a switchman with the former Great Northern Railway...  which was another laid back job.
View Quote

Geez, you must be an oooollllllldddddd fart. GN's been gone for over 30 years. Hell, I already miss the BN. [:)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top