Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2003 12:01:04 PM EDT
I want to be a real good shot in boot camp and want to get a head start.

I don't do much serious rifle shooting, I have a ruger .22 a mini 14 and a sks either of these aren't that accurate so should I buy a M1A or a fab 10 or should I just practice with what I got?

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
SOme might tell you to wait so you don't get any bad habits burned into your head.

A fresh start, to put it simply.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#3]
probably, but most likely I already have a bunch of bad habits.

at least I will be safe with the guns and have general info on how they operate.

it seems like some of the kids are scared of the lil M-16
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Pushups, situps, running, and your 11 general orders MEMORIZED PERFECTLY will suit you better.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Something that WILL make your time on the range successful AND spare you the wrath of angry range Gods-

Keep your finger off the trigger until you're instructed to fire-

Keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction (as defined by the range Gods)-

Keep your weapon unloaded until the range Gods tell you to load-

Do NOT be the one guy who breaks one of these rules. The range Gods will punish severely...

Thanks for volunteering to defend this great country!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]
how good of a runner do you have to be?

I hear the army likes to do lots of pushups and running.

and what kind of running should I do? 1/2/5 miles?

I would amagine its alot of long distance.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
the pt test includes a 2 mile run. I would work up to 5 if I were you
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#8]
army really isn't about shooting, work on your running and pushups like others said. If you are in good shape everything else is just a breeze if you have a good mental attitude. You will get very tired of practicing how to shoot when you are sitting in the hot son doing dry fire's with a dime on your barrel. And then doing it more with your NBC gear on.
Your instructors hate when you smile when told to do push ups, when they tell you "Beat your face stupid" look at them with a big smile and say "hoooah sergeant ! "
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
the pt test includes a 2 mile run. I would work up to 5 if I were you
View Quote

so thats just to get in right?

sorry for all the dumb questions but I don't know much about the military, I think I will learn alot in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Something that WILL make your time on the range successful AND spare you the wrath of angry range Gods-

Keep your finger off the trigger until you're instructed to fire-

Keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction (as defined by the range Gods)-

Keep your weapon unloaded until the range Gods tell you to load-

Do NOT be the one guy who breaks one of these rules. The range Gods will punish severely...

Thanks for volunteering to defend this great country!
View Quote

no problem with that my dad is a range nazi.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#12]
just practice sit up and pushups, a little running.  They start off running like 20 yards down there, dont sweat it, and dont practice shooting, they unlearn all youve learned, and if you dont get unlearnt, theyll make you forget....
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
SOme might tell you to wait so you don't get any bad habits burned into your head.

View Quote

Well said. Your marksmanship instructors will teach you to do things their way, so learning another way now won't really contribute to your success there. The last thing you want is to stand out as doing your own thing.

You'd be better off working on your PT.
View Quote

Absolutely! Hardest thing in boot was getting in shape. I had never fired anything bigger than a .22LR before the Army. I kept my mouth shut and my ears open and fired expert with both M14 and M16. BTW, keeping your mouth shut and your ears open is good advice across the board in boot. Listen to your DI. He actually does know something that you can learn that may one day save your life.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
just practice sit up and pushups, a little running.  They start off running like 20 yards down there, dont sweat it, and dont practice shooting, they unlearn all youve learned, and if you dont get unlearnt, theyll make you forget....
View Quote

I noncuncur.

I learned NOTHING about shooting in basic.

If he were going into the Marines, where markmanship instructors were properly trained and selected, that would be one thing.

We now know he is going into the Army - where anyone with a 100 GT score can score 80% across the board, graduate drill sergeat school, and wind up teaching privates how to shoot.

1911greg: get yourself a copy of the FM 23-9. Learn it. Pay special attention to the sighting system, and where to aim at what distance. When I went through, we had drill sergeants telling us to aim at the heads of the 300 meter target. (that was correct only with the old M16A1 - the current A2 is zeroed for 300m) and they even said shit like, "aim low so the rocks you spit up will increase your odds of scoring a hit."

Your mini-14 should be fine. Just practice groups, than shifting your hips to adjust your point of aim up, down, left and right. They don't teach that well at all, because the instructors can usually barely qualify themselves.

Keep your mouth shut, though. Let your shooting speak for you. Every one in your unit who shoots expert will have been a good shot before coming into the Army. Everyone who shoots a perfect score will have mastered the art of shifting your natural point of aim for field fire and learned where to aim at each yard line.

The advice on PT is good. Be warned, though, the Amry gets some PRIMO slugs. If you show up in too good of shape, you may find yourself wishing for time to work out as the Drill Sergeants try to get the majority to a basic standard of physical competence.

The Army has three general orders (though the Marine Corps seems to have a lot more, they really just split up the Army's into easier to memorize, shorter sentences). Learn them.

The Army has a GREAT book they give you guys now. Reading it is the only thing you are usually allowed to do when waiting around. Read it. It is very well put together from what I saw of it a few months ago. Lots of good info from several Army manuals, including the common task test (CTT) standards.

Keep your mouth shut and realize that the main thing we do anymore in Army basic is attempt to identify and weed out the guys who got in under questionable recruiter tactics or who will be serious discipline problems. Don't overcomplicate that thankless baby-sitting task the drill sergeants are faced with.

What is your MOS? If you are going to Benning, you may have better training. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Join the Marines.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Join the Marines.
View Quote

As I told the last Jarhead who actually suggested I transfer services -

I may criticize some things in the Army - but I could find even MORE to criticize about the Marine Corps - do NOT get me started [:)].
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
how good of a runner do you have to be?

I hear the army likes to do lots of pushups and running.

and what kind of running should I do? 1/2/5 miles?

I would amagine its alot of long distance.
View Quote

Depends what you are going to be doing.  

If you're going to a non-combat job.  Getting good at a 2 mile run should be enough.

If your going infantry/ranger/SF... you better be able to run your ass off.

And its called basic training, not boot camp [:D]  Calling it boot camp around the wrong person will probably get you an ass rippin'.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And its called basic training, not boot camp [:D]  Calling it boot camp around the wrong person will probably get you an ass rippin'.
View Quote

Exactly! That is what made a lot of us (myself included) think this guy had enlisted in the Marines. Damn privates!

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#19]
the closest to an M16 in california that is legal would be a FAB 10

[url]http://www.gogogadgets.net/[/url]

[img]http://www.gogogadgets.net/Animation_fab10a.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#20]
While your instructors will teach you the way they want you to shoot there are a few universal skills you can work on prior to basic.  They are:

1.  Breath control.  Take a deep breath, let half of it out and hold it for the shot.

2.  Squeezing the trigger.  Most novices I have seen and instructed tend to jerk the trigger.  This is good technique for skeet/trap shooting but a disaster in rifle shooting. Each shot should be a surprise.  You gently squeeze the trigger until the sear breaks.

You can work on these skills using a .22.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Well said. Your marksmanship instructors will teach you to do things their way, so learning another way now won't really contribute to your success there. The last thing you want is to stand out as doing your own thing.

You'd be better off working on your PT.
View Quote

Don't worry about shooting.  I had to unlearn EVERYTHING about shooting in basic (I just got back).  You are better off working on your 2 mile run time and trying to do 50 pushups and 50 situps within two minutes each.  If you can do at least that you'll pass PT.  You're in for a shock no matter how well you think you have prepared.  I loved basic!  I am 33 years old and it kicked my ass but I loved it and I'd do it again if they'd let me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#22]
They start off running like 20 yards down there...
View Quote

HA HA!  Thats bullshit!  We started right off the bat with two miles and were running about 5 by the end, and that was at Ft. Leonardwood with female recruits.  1911greg, where are they sending you? IM me or something! If you haven't already start running every other day.  Don't worry about distance, run for time.  Get a watch and start out at 15 minutes as well as you can as long as you don't stop to walk or rest, just run,run, run.  As you progress work it up to 20 minutes and then 30 and then go for speed.  Nothing sucks worse than the shit you catch for falling out of a run, they can Article 15 you for it.  Get that stamina up and keep pushing!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top