Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2001 8:10:55 PM EDT

Does anyone know what the best method is for shreading the burlap strips that doesn't take hours uppon hours to do and also how wide should be burlap be cut?  I  have been sticking to 3.5 inchs.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Garand_Shooter is right.  There's no fast way to do it.  The more time you take on your Ghillie the better it's going to look.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Garand_Shooter is right.  There's no fast way to do it.  The more time you take on your Ghillie the better it's going to look.
View Quote

Then mine is going to look great....my back is killing me from bending down all day sewing the netting on.  Anyone here have a particular style of ghillie?  I am putting together a 3 piece outfit that I am making from bdu's.  I don't really like the poncho style.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Made mine out of one of my old flight suits.  worked pretty good.  Just with I had more over the front.  Someday I'll make another one and do it right.  Just haven't found the or place to do it again.  Last time I made mine I was in the dorms on base.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Send them to my dry cleaner, my clothes allways come back looking like ghillie suits.  NO, just funnin ya, Garand_shooter is right, there ain't no easy way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I don't know how far along you are on your suit but if you make another you might try using jute twine and dying it for the colors you want. I prefer this method my self.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#8]
1.Do a web search for ghillie suits.
2.Pick up a video or two:
--The Invisible Advantage (This is the best one I've seen yet)
--The Art of Camoflage (another good one, but the first one is still best in my opinion)

To strip burlap:
1.cut the bag along the seams(one side and one end).
2.open bag up and fold in thirds so you wind up with three long sections. Cut these three strips apart.
3. From each section, pull threads from middle (I could pull 2, sometimes 3, without having to really pull hard)

You should come out with strings that you would now cut in half before you gather and tie them onto your base (webbing, etc.).
I've heard that one of the most common mistakes is that folks put too much burlap on at first. You can always go back and add easier than you can remove.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top