Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2002 11:59:04 AM EDT
i am thinking of getting my FFL.  i know you have to run a business, so i am planning a web site.  just wondering what to expect as far as interviews, required sales, etc...
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Not only do you have to have a "business" but you must also have a storefront or in your case I would assume a warehouse that is not your home. They frown on applications for running a ffl dealership from your kitchen table! Thats the only reason I dont have one yet. Anyone know how they are about running it out of a garage or a building built especially for a business (read as hybrid toolshed)?? It would be very easy to alarm or fortify a garage, etc.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#3]
i am thinking i would run the business out of my basement. it is unfinished now with an external entrance.  i have a concrete dividing wall on the back half with no windows and a steel fire door, creating a vault of sorts.  this would be for secure storage.  mostly i would do in-state gun shows, local friends and classified adds.  my web site would be parts, accessories, ammo, mags, etc... no guns due to ffl transfer hassle.  i am not really looking for full time work. just some extra spending cash.  

does this sound like an acceptable plan to the batf?
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#4]
i just checked, i fall under county zoning and have no restrictions on business.

also, could someone give me a number of how many firearms must be sold?  is it 10/year?, 50/year?

i heard about home inspections too. are these a hassle?
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
ds_duck, Your plan sounds like it would work only one small problem... stating your primary business would be shows, BATF frowns on show dealers, however if you plan to sell locally also (which you said you do) they can't say too much. I would recommend running regular ads in trading journals as opposed to classifieds I have found this to be the best method of advertisement. Also you can get a lot better prices on your items if you have a store front, as some distributors will refuse to sell to you without one.

Jake
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top