Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 4:43:00 AM EDT
who else has entities in their local that gotta get on the "jack up the prices so we can get our "share" too" bandwagon?

Xcel is in the news here (tv) and they're talkinig about a 30 something percent increase in costs.. wtf?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:53:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm afraid it will soon spread to all over the country.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:17:59 AM EDT
[#2]
We have this thread going in the ARFCOM survival forum:
High winter energy costs expected: Bodman
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy a wood burning furnace/stove
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:22:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Natural gas prices are going up 25% here.

I bought a pellet stove last year
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Last I heard when talking to a friend who works for Citizens Gas here, our rates will go up by almost 50% this winter. They were already looking at raising the rates before the gas prices soared to all new highs. Gonna go look into electric blankets and thermal socks and undies. Won't be pretty, but I'll be warm.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm afraid it will soon spread to all over the country.

It already has.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:51:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Natural gas prices are going up 25% here.

I bought a pellet stove last year

They are going up 75% here!

Good thing we have all that "Free" oil and gas down here so we can have the lowest gasoline, electricity and natural gas in the world!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:52:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I need to get into the Gas/Oil biz.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The price of natural gas is 3 times what it was 3 years ago.  

If the utilities could not raise prices, then everywhere would be a repeat of california.  Period.

That was one of the major market flaws in the cali market.  (Add on to that, the fucking they took from enron and many others...)

If the .gov put a price cap on nat gas, what would happen.... We all know.

The price is the price.  If the utilites could not sell for a profit, even a regulated one, then they would shut down, and you would have no electricity or gas in the home.

It sucks, but it is what it is.  I suggest you explore and do a cost benefit analysis of every alternative you can find, from heating oil to wood burning stoves, to solar power to charge a battery run an electric heater.

If it's time for new appliances, get the most efficient you can.  Follow the simple rules, don't run a half empty dishwasher.  If you can wash clothes in cold water, do it.  Add insulation to the house.  When it's hot, close the shades, when it's cold, but sunny, open them up.  Fans on year round.  

It will not get much better in the foreseeable future.  

TXL
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Another suggestion, wear warm clothes indoors, during the winter time, I wear 2 pairs of wool socks, and thermal underwear inside. As long as you heat your house above freezing you shouldn't have any problems with the pipes bursting due to ice. No need to heat the entire house.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Another suggestion, wear warm clothes indoors, during the winter time, I wear 2 pairs of wool socks, and thermal underwear inside. As long as you heat your house above freezing you shouldn't have any problems with the pipes bursting due to ice. No need to heat the entire house.

Yeah.....I just wear my jacket in the house
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#12]
My current house was a "rush" build and they did not include any insulation.

( Was built during the expansion of Fort Carson during the Korean War era )

In Winter I set the thermostat to 58° F and sleep in a waterbed. I have a little ceramic heater in my office if the CPUs and RAID arrays are not putting out enough heat.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the pellet stove that I have. Just fill it with pellets, and set the thermostat. It has an igniter, so it starts the fire itself. Except for keeping it filled with pellets, it is as easy to use as the furnace.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Pellets?

What are pellets? - Sheep pellets, Rabbit pellets, Wood pellets?

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#16]
The markets are sending a very strong signal to conserve as much energy as poossible (coal prices are up to as is electricity demand--and much of the peak demand relies on gas turbines).  Those who don't feel like conserving will pay the price.  I lowered the temp on my water heater and spend only $25 last month on gas.  Next I need a blanket for it.

Those wood pellet stoves look promising but I have heard there may be a pellet shortage.  How about a corn burning stove?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#17]
The electric rates here have increased by 35 % all ready.  They used coal to generate the electic. So the trains and trucks that bring the coal in......well runs on fuel!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#18]
One good thing that hurricane Ivan brought me was ready access to a lot of downed trees.

I now have a cord of seasoned oak for this winter.  Granted, a cord isn't much - but hey - I'm in Florida!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Since I work on the natural gas side of a utility biz I expect some pissy customers this winter. However, the problem STARTED [pricing increase] in Kalifornia by the stupid a-holes on the eco-ass pollution board. EVERY electricity plant built for years has been natural gas. That thinking spread to other states because of how easy it is to be in compliance with emissions. Thus, a natural gas use spike raised pricing year round. Our company used to buy in the summer when prices dropped, pumped it into the ground and drew it out when needed in the winter. No reason to do that now as demand keeps prices up.

With 500 years of Coal reserves. we have no way to build new plants that can be in compliance without spending billions without a guarantee that the stupid govt asswipes won't change the rules tomorrow and stop the building of new coal plants. Forget about nuclear power, not even worth the effort.

Were getting exactly what we deserve by putting these morons in charge, namely, huge price spikes, shortages, and cold houses. The Govt does not always know better, in fact, most in these positions know jack about the real world. I'll be just doing my job what I shut you off for non-pay this winter. Nothing personal you know.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Pellets?

What are pellets? - Sheep pellets, Rabbit pellets, Wood pellets?

The pellets for pellet stoves are made from sawdust, etc-scrap byproduct from paper mills and sawmills. They are sold at Home Depot, Lowes, True Value, etc. A 40 lb sack costs $3-4, and lasts maybe a day in my house when it is about 20 degrees out, and the furnace is off and the pellet stove is on. My house is about 1500 sf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top