Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 10:01:38 PM EDT
I found a 2007 SV650 for what I think is a killer deal, only $3000, it only has 500 miles on it.  Okay, to start this off, I'm 19, and looking for my first bike.  I'm around 6'4" and 200lbs.  Also one thing to consider is that I have big feet, size 15 to 16.  I've talked to a few people I know that ride and they have said this may be a problem with certain bikes.  So, I don't have my motorcycle permit yet, but I am planning on taking a MSF course this month.  

Now, from the reading I have done, The SV650 is recommended as a great beginner bike.  Another thing to consider is that since I am only 19,  insurance rapes me.  So I'm looking for something I can pay cash for.  And no I have not sat on one to see how I feel on it.  But I think I will go around to a few shops tomorrow and do that.  

Would this be a good starter bike for me?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
that bike will be more than big enough for you it will seem like a tank after the 250s at the BRC
not sure what the foot comment is about it you keep um straight like you are supposed to it will not be a issue
if you are lazy (like me) and let um turn out a bit  you can grind your toes and with your really big ass feet that could happen at fairly mild lean angles
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#2]
The SV is a fine bike, but the deal you found is a scam. I bet you can't meet the seller face to face and pay cash, they usually say they are military and out of the country, with bad spelling and grammar.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The SV is a fine bike, but the deal you found is a scam. I bet you can't meet the seller face to face and pay cash, they usually say they are military and out of the country, with bad spelling and grammar.

I dunno, I've seen them go for $3500 pretty regularly, I wouldn't think $3k was necessarily a scam. But do be careful....

That said, insurance is only a big rape fest if you get full coverage (which is not worth your money on a $3k bike by a long shot).

Here's roughly what my insurance cost, for 1 year, for each of the bikes I've owned (I'm 20).

1985 Suzuki GS450L: $100
2004 Suzuki SV650S: $150
2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000: $330
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:31:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno, I've seen them go for $3500 pretty regularly, I wouldn't think $3k was necessarily a scam. But do be careful....

That said, insurance is only a big rape fest if you get full coverage (which is not worth your money on a $3k bike by a long shot).

Here's roughly what my insurance cost, for 1 year, for each of the bikes I've owned (I'm 20).

Have you seen 07s with 500 miles on them with a $3000 asking price? I have never seen one of those that is legit.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm 6' 180lbs and i ride an SV1000 ( i'm 19 , insurance is 220$ a year )

the sv1000 is the same size as an sv650 , so i'm pretty sure that it'll be big enough although  you might have problems with the pegs getting in the way of pushing the bike around at first

also 3 grand for an 07 sv650, idk, if you can meet the guy face to face go for it

i paid 3800 for my 2003 SV1000.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you seen 07s with 500 miles on them with a $3000 asking price? I have never seen one of those that is legit.

You're right, it's on the far end of believable. But with so many people economically fucked, I could see it happening.

FYI, by "be careful" I meant check the VIN and do a face-to-face transaction. I wouldn't run away from it, by any means.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top