Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/25/2002 8:52:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2002 12:25:21 PM EST by Vector_Joe]
15 JULY 2002 MISHAP LOCATION: NAVAL AIR WARFARE CENTER PATUXENT RIVER, MARYLAND MISHAP WEATHER: 3000 FOOT OVERCAST CONDITIONS 5 MILES VISIBILITY WITH OCCASIONAL LIGHT RAIN MISHAP EVENT TOOK PLACE ON SUNDAY 14 JULY 2002 APPROXIMATELY 1415 HOURS EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME. MISHAP WITNESS (MW) WAS WORKING IN BUILDING 2187 AND DESCRIBED WHAT HE HEARD WAS NUMEROUS RAPID CONCUSSIONS WHICH SHOOK OFFICE WINDOWS AND WALLS. WHEN HE LOOK OUTSIDE THE WINDOW HE NOTICED OBJECTS FALLING FROM THE SKY. HIS FIRST THOUGHTS WERE COULD THIS BE THE START OF ANOTHER SEPTEMBER 11? OBSERVATION OUT OF THE OFFICE WINDOW REVEALED MISHAP SCENE IN FRONT OF BLDG 2187. MISHAP SCENE ARRIVAL AND INITIAL INVESTIGATION INDICATED A SQUADRON LEVEL(12) MK-1, MOD-0 CANADIAN (NORTHERN) GEESE LOCATED IN THE FRONT OF THE BUILDING AROUND THE WESTERN PORTAL. MISHAP GEESE (MG) WERE SCATTERED ON THE GROUND IN VARIOUS LOCATIONS AROUND THE PORTAL. INITIAL ON SCENE ARRIVAL INDICATED THAT FOUR MG WERE KILLED UPON IMPACT AND TWO MG WERE ALIVE BUT IN SERIOUS CONDITION. FIVE OTHER MG WERE WALKING AROUND THE PORTAL AND FLED THE SCENE ON FOOT UPON ARRIVAL OF MW. MW PERFORMED A QUICK POST MISHAP ANALYSIS. FROM WITNESS MARKS (AND SOME MG FECAL MATTER) ON THE FRONT OF THE BUILDING, IT APPEARED THAT THE SQUADRON WAS IN A LOOSE ECHELON V FORMATION. LEAD MISHAP GOOSE (LMG) APPEARED TO HAVE LED THE SQUADRON FORMATION INTO THE FRONT OF THE BUILDING AND DUE TO THE SPEED AT IMPACT FIVE OTHER MG IMPACTED AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS WITHIN ONE SECOND OF THE LMG. APPARENTLY, REMAINING FIVE MG IN TRAIL V FORMATION OBSERVED LMG AND THEIR FIVE SQUADRON MEMBERS AT IMPACT AND HAD ENOUGH TIME TO EXECUTE EVASIVE MANEUVERING TO RECOVER TO AN UNEVENTFUL LAND BASED RECOVERY IN FRONT OF THE WESTERN PORTAL OF BUILDING 2187. FOUR OF THE MG INITIAL SIX MG WERE KILLED UPON IMPACT DUE TO BROKEN NECKS. TWO OF THE SIX MG WERE SITTING UPRIGHT BUT APPEARED TO HAVE SUSTAINED SERIOUS INJURY.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:52:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2002 12:26:24 PM EST by Vector_Joe]
MW WENT BACK TO HIS OFFICE AND CALLED COLLEAGUE AND KNOWN DUCK HUNTER (DH). MW ASKED DH HOW HIS DUCK HUNTING SEASON WAS GOING AND IF HE NEEDED SIX OVEN STUFFER ROASTERS FOR THE FREEZER AFTER DESCRIBING THE MISHAP. DH DECLINED AND INDICATED THAT IT WAS NOT DUCK SEASON AND IF MW PUT THEM IN HIS TRUCK HE WOULD BE LIABLE TO RECEIVE CITATIONS FROM MARYLAND STATE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES. DH RECOMMENDED THAT MW SHOULD CALL KYLE RAMBO, NAS PAX DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES DIRECTOR (DNR-D). DNR-D ADVISED MW THAT THEY WOULD SEND A TEAM OUT TO ASSIST INJURED MG. DNR TEAM (DNR-T) ARRIVED ON THE SCENE ABOUT 30 MINUTES AFTER MISHAP. THE TWO REMAINING MG WHOM HAD SUSTAINED SERIOUS INJURIES HAD DIED ON THE SCENE. MW AND DNR-T SEARCHED THROUGH THE BUSHES FOR ANY OTHER POSSIBLE MG. DNR-T FOUND A SURVIVING MG IN THE BUSHES WHOM APPEARED TO BE INJURED BUT NOT IN A SERIOUS LIFE THREATENING CONDITION. DNR-T QUICKLY PHOTOGRAPHED MISHAP SCENE AND CAPTURED INJURED MG AND PLACED IN A PORT-A-CAGE FOR QUICK TRANSPORT TO NAS WILDLIFE REHABILITATION CENTER. HOPEFULLY, DUE TO THE QUICK RESPONSE OF DNR-T, WILL HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO A FULL RECOVERY OF SEVENTH MG. DNR-T SAID THIS CALL HAD TO BE ONE OF THE STRANGEST ONE IN QUITE SOME TIME. WEATHER AND SKY WAS A "GRAY DAY" AS IS THE COLOR OF BLDG 2187. MISHAP INVESTIGATION TEAM SURMISED THAT LMG HAD OBSERVED A REFLECTION OF TREELINE AND SKY IN THE LARGE DARK WINDOWS AND ASSUMED FLIGHT PATH AHEAD WAS CLEAR ABOVE THE TREELINE. SKY REFLECTION IN THE WINDOW MATCHED CLOSELY WITH BUILDING COLOR WHICH MAY HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO COGNITIVE FAILURE OF LMG. A SMALL RUN OFF POND IS LOCATED IN FRONT OF BLDG 2187 (ABOUT 150 YARDS) AND IT IS BELIEVED THAT THE MISHAP SQUADRON PERFORMED A NORMAL AMPHIBIOUS TAKEOFF AND ROUTINE CLIMB OUT ON A NORTHERLY HEADING TOWARDS BUILDING 2187 AND MISHAP LOCATION. ALL REMAINING MK-1, MOD-0 NORTHERN CANADIAN GEESE WILL BE BRIEFED ON DETAILS OF THE MISHAP AND THIS PARTICULAR ROUTINE HAZARD TO LOW LEVEL NAVIGATION IN THE NAS PATUXENT RIVER COMPLEX. IN ORDER TO PREVENT FURTHER MISHAP, RECOMMEND PAINTING BUILDING 2187 BRIGHT PINK, COVERING ALL WINDOWS. NOTE THAT NAVY SHARES FAULT IN INCIDENT FOR BUILDING IN THE FLIGHT PATH.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:39:22 AM EST
umm... was it supposed to be funny?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:47:03 AM EST
now THAT'S funny!. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:47:53 AM EST
>I dont know but having this crap on the side >of his post bugs the hell out of me. > > > > >
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:45:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2002 10:45:59 AM EST by quietshoez]
Originally Posted By TheFNG: >I dont know but having this crap on the side >of his post bugs the hell out of me. > > > > >
View Quote
yeah!!! what the hell are those things, and why , when someone forwards me crap, are they all over the message? can you tell, i'm not really a computer guy.?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:54:28 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:24:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2002 12:27:03 PM EST by Vector_Joe]
I guess people who are used to reading military documents find it funny. There are you happy, I took out the arrows
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:57:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2002 12:58:12 PM EST by Benjamin0001]
Just goes to show you that if you are ever a goose never put a blind goose as flight leader. "Damnit Ralph I told you to get some new glasses." Ben
Top Top