Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/7/2004 5:18:23 PM EST
My friend is selling some car parts on the internet and the deal is starting to sound like something I read here a month or so ago. He is getting a check from Holland for $5K more than the parts he is selling and he is supposed to forward on the remaining 5K to a third party that is handling the shipping of the parts back to Holland. Told my bud that I read about a scam on AR15.com like that and he should not trust the deal. He said he is going to cash the check at a check cask place instead of depositing in his bank account to insure the check is good. Did some one post on here recently about a gun purchase going down like this recently? I can't find the post.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:19:37 PM EST
well if he has the cash in his hands when he does it I wouldnt worry about it
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:24:52 PM EST
Don't check cashing places charge a percentage to perform the service?

I have to think if the check bounces he will still be on the hook.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:26:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/7/2004 5:26:53 PM EST by ajm1911]
Didn't hear it here but it is a scam. Usually the check comes from Africa though
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:29:40 PM EST
Absolutely a scam. When he forwards the $5k, that's his real money. But the check he will try to deposit will bounce.

I don't know of any check cashing service that will cash a check written on a foreign bank. All he can do is deposit it and hope it clears (which will take a long time).
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:10:03 PM EST
An old scam. Call the bank that the check is drawn on, if it actually exists. I ran into one of these deals. Got a very nice looking cashiers check which turned out to be counterfeit. A good con works on the marks own greed. Think about it.
Top Top