Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2013 4:39:18 PM EDT
So I just bought a house this weekend and I came home and found a card on my door. It was from "total home delivery" it is kind of a generic card saying they missed a delivery attempt. There was a phone number on it with a confirmation. I called it and was on hold for a few minutes and finally a guy picked up and asked for the confirmation number.

He confirmed my name and address then said I was selected to receive a free security system from GE, then went on for a little explaining how awesome it was and what you could do with it and it was free and all I had to do was display a advertising sign out front.

This entire time he was taking and I didn't want to butt in.

He then said to confirm the offer he wanted to know the layout of the house and asked how many access door to the outside there were. I responded and then immediately said we already have a system (I dont) through adt with a additional CCTV system . Then he asked if the contract was expiring in under 6 months and I said no.

He weirdly wished me a good day and tat was it?

Any experience with this?

Is it just a scam to get me to buy their "free"  system?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
They probably do a basic 2 door.  They make money on the upgrades.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]
2 doors and a motion sensor.  Monitoring 29.95 a month for 3 years.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Once you tell them that you are in contract with someone else he has no options left.
He was probably willing to give you up to 6 months of free monitoring if you switched to him now (you would still have to pay ADT), then you would be in contract with him.
If you want an alarm company then find a small local company.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#5]
never never never ever sign a contract for monitoring. read the fine print on them. the monitoring contracts will steal more from you than than a burglar.

SS

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I just bought a house this weekend and I came home and found a card on my door. It was from "total home delivery" it is kind of a generic card saying they missed a delivery attempt. There was a phone number on it with a confirmation. I called it and was on hold for a few minutes and finally a guy picked up and asked for the confirmation number.

He confirmed my name and address then said I was selected to receive a free security system from GE, then went on for a little explaining how awesome it was and what you could do with it and it was free and all I had to do was display a advertising sign out front.

This entire time he was taking and I didn't want to butt in.

He then said to confirm the offer he wanted to know the layout of the house and asked how many access door to the outside there were. I responded and then immediately said we already have a system (I dont) through adt with a additional CCTV system . Then he asked if the contract was expiring in under 6 months and I said no.

He weirdly wished me a good day and tat was it?

Any experience with this?

Is it just a scam to get me to buy their "free"  system?
View Quote

I had the same people come to my door almost 4 years ago... GE.  I'm pretty sure they're  legit....here's the catch: install is free, but you agree to 2yrs of service ($50-60/mo)  if you read the small print on the back of the contract... and they will rape you if you try to get out early.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
never never never ever sign a contract for monitoring. read the fine print on them. the monitoring contracts will steal more from you than than a burglar.

SS

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

How do you figure?

The contract is part of the overall deal (otherwise the install would be marked up another $1k or so that you would pay up front) - the company is allowed to profit for performing work, right?

What is usually in the fine print is how you agree to hold the installer harmless if your shit doesn't work (after you fail to regularly test & maintain the system), the installer is not an insurer in the event you are robbed, the installer cannot control police response, you will continue to be billed after the contract is up unless you cancel in writing, if you default on your payments the entire contract will be due & payable immediately, you will be responsible for court costs & recovery fees, etc.

If there is something in the contract that you object to then you discuss it before you sign it - maybe you can get it taken out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top