Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2001 12:03:29 PM EDT
At age 17, Soon Duk Kim was taken from her native Korea and sent to China to become a “comfort woman” — the euphemism coined by the Japanese Army during World War II for the estimated 200,000 young women, mostly Koreans, but also Chinese and Filipinos, enslaved for the purpose of providing sex to Japanese soldiers in military brothels in Northeast and Southeast Asia during the 1930s and early ’40s.

[url]http://www.asianweek.com/2000_11_24/bay1_comfortwomen.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]
They shouldn`t hold there breath waiting.The Japanese think they suffered enough for their crimes against humanity. They also state the treaties at end of WW 2 resolved all these issues. Yeah right.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Forget the money.

It will never happen.

One day China will get their payback.

-------------
Just like Klinton used to say when questioned about his draft dodging ways.

Stop bringing it up.  We have already addressed that issue and I'm not going to do it again.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They shouldn`t hold there breath waiting.The Japanese think they suffered enough for their crimes against humanity. They also state the treaties at end of WW 2 resolved all these issues. Yeah right.
View Quote

Japanese students I got to know as a student in Europe all seemed to think JAPAN was the victim in WW2, because we dropped the bomb on them.... (insert eye rolling smiley here...)

Suffice it to say, they don't do much soul-searching about their considerable war guilt at all. Germany may not be a paragon of virtue, but compared to the Japanese, they are practically self-flagellants when it comes to handling their own guilt from the Nazi Era. Hardly any town in Germany does not have some sort of monument to the victims of Naziism. I learned about Oskar Schindler and the Holocaust in German schools long before they were treated in depth in US schools.

Japan? Well, I was born there, but don't know of any such public program of atonement for past sins.

A guy I used to know went in the service and was stationed in Japan. I heard years later from his sister that he went to both the Yasukuni War Shrine AND the monument in Hiroshima (Tech/Science Building ruins), and wrote, "REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!" in big letters in the guestbooks at both....
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem in Japan is the same one we have here - the kids aren't being taught history, and what they DO get is error-filled and/or incomplete.  

As 95thfoot pointed out, the Japanese aren't taught in school anything about WWII other than "it happened" and "The U.S. dropped atom bombs on Japan".  They don't [i]know[/i].  Just like here, our kids aren't taught WWII history either.  After my daughter graduated from H.S. I asked her if she knew what Pearl Harbor was.  She had no clue.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Kbaker: sounds like schools and Vietnam all they say is tehre was this war in vietnam and it was like unpopler and thats about it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top