Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2014 5:47:16 PM EDT
I used to browse international forums and would always hear that people were shocked at how polite americans were when they visited. I guess the internet makes us look bad. Any of you foreign guys notced that when you have visited, and vise versa to you americans who have traveled abroad. Also heard americans are considered generous tippers.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Never mind
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#3]
yes, compared to Asians and Europeans unless they're Americanized...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
They can kiss my rebel dick
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Politeness is merely a facade that reinforces white privilege.  Having manners just means you don't keep it real.

You must confront social injustice wherever you see it, the white man's "manners" are designed to cow you from doing that.

Micro aggression is the norm in America.  You must be in the face of the micro aggressors, without regard to their privileged social conventions that call themselves "manners".

Try being an oppressed minority and living here.

Hell on earth.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
When I visit foreign countries or talk to foreigners, and when the conversation comes up, they typically say something along the lines of...

"Americans are very polite but way more direct and cocky than people from our country."
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#7]
At this point, I'm pretty sure Americans are only liked in the Phillipines and Liberia.  Everyone else thinks we're assholes.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Politeness is merely a facade that reinforces white privilege.  Having manners just means you don't keep it real.

You must confront social injustice wherever you see it, the white man's "manners" are designed to cow you from doing that.

Micro aggression is the norm in America.  You must be in the face of the micro aggressors, without regard to their privileged social conventions that call themselves "manners".

Hell on earth.

View Quote

Jesus man....so much for light GD entertainment before bed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]
When I vacationed in India, my flight home was cancelled.  When I spoke with the airline representative, a women from Austria commented on how polite I was.  She seemed to think as an American, I was going to be an asshole to the airline.  Funny enough, a woman from Spain was flipping out at another customer service rep next to me.

I think Europe has preconceived negative views of Americans, just as we do of other countries.  I do think it is they have a more extreme view then reality.  Also, if you compare East Coast/West Coast/Mid West/Mountain, the "average" American persona is drastically different.  So if a foreigner has only visited NYC, then they develop an American stereotype that is not fully representative of the entire country.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
He's locked in RA's heterocage
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell on earth.

Don't even get me started on the oppressive gender norms and submissiveness the patriarchy requires in order to be a considered a "lady."

All PIV is rape.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Most of my Russian friends comment on how open most Americans are, Russians in general are very private when speaking.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Most of my Russian friends comment on how open most Americans are, Russians in general are very private when speaking.
View Quote

I think the opposite is more true. Americans are afraid to talk about subjects which are mostly negative or suggest a class system. Russians don't mind talking about these.

An unknown Russian on the street is private, of course, as he doesn't know you. Among friends, he is not so private.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don't even get me started on the oppressive gender norms and submissiveness the patriarchy requires in order to be a considered a "lady."

All PIV is rape.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell on earth.

All PIV is rape.

Kep it up, you will be an ivy,league professor in no time
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Having lived in Puerto Rico for a good 20 years, I can confidently say most Americans are pretty damn friendly.
The meanest, sleaziest people I've run across have been Dominicans and Haitians.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hell on earth.

View Quote

My own whiteness and success sickitates me. I actually make out with a picture of Al Sharpton to help me feel his pain.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I was listening to an interview of a British writer who was a guest on the USS George H.W. Bush and wrote a book about life on a carrier.

Anyway, he said Americans are very friendly and very polite, which makes it easier to cope living on ships together.  "Polite" is not the term that comes to mind when I think about Americans, but I'll take it.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was listening to an interview of a British writer who was a guest on the USS George H.W. Bush and wrote a book about life on a carrier.

Anyway, he said Americans are very friendly and very polite, which makes it easier to cope living on ships together.  "Polite" is not the term that comes to mind when I think about Americans, but I'll take it.

View Quote

Now I know you are a liberal NPR listener.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know how they view us but I will say Brits are pretty rude. I work agent support for my companies call center in London and I monitor the agents calls and between the employees and the customer I am shocked at how rude these people can be. A few have mentioned that the US customers tend to be nicer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Murica! Fuck the Foreigners!

Just kidding. Please enjoy your stay in our country. Have some of our famous pancakes.
Please dont BBQ in your hotel rooms and thanks for using deodorant.

Oh and soccer is gay. Dont ask for it to be turned on at the bar. Not that theirs anything wrong with being gay mind you, but soccer is like Liberace gay with Richard Simmons on top gay.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-78_5124.jpg

Lol.

Well played, sir.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-78_5124.jpg
I need something to listen to during hate radio commercial breaks.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Americans are good at setting non-verbal boundaries.

I was always told we're extremely optimistic, almost to a fault.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#27]
screw everything east of the Mississippi!

and fuck California!

well maybe Florida  and Virginia are a exception

the rest of the country is fine
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#28]
When my wife and I visited Paris we witnessed German and Italian tourists literally knock over a baby carriage in their rush to get on the elevator down from the observation deck of the Eiffel Tower.  Europeans don't know how to wait in a line.  They touch art in museums when an American knows to keep his hands to himself.  In the most recent World Cup match you saw Americans extending a hand to help Ghanian players up off the pitch.  Asians ( I lived in Japan for two years and worked in a Chinese restaurant for a while) are unbelievably filthy - when I worked at the Chinese restaurant, when it was time for lunch, the Chinese guys would throw some newspaper on the floor, sit around it, and as they ate their soup they'd all spit the gristle and inedible bits onto the paper.  Americans are quite polite.  I'm proud to be one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Europeans who visit America go to NYC, FL and LA almost exclusively. They still find Americans to be very polite, helpful and friendly.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Excluding the bigger cities on the West Coast of the US I find the hospitality of the general population to be polite and genuinely helpful.
Folks in the South seem to go out of their way to make you feel welcome, same goes for the Middle West.

OTOH when we travel the US we do not intend on pissing anybody off.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think the opposite is more true. Americans are afraid to talk about subjects which are mostly negative or suggest a class system. Russians don't mind talking about these.

An unknown Russian on the street is private, of course, as he doesn't know you. Among friends, he is not so private.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you really want to be entertained get a Russian talking about "matters of race".

The average American will put his hands over his ears and start saying "la la la la la" and quickly exit the room.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you really want to be entertained get a Russian talking about "matters of race".

The average American will put his hands over his ears and start saying "la la la la la" and quickly exit the room.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, ask a western European about it as well. The answer will shock you.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#33]
An Italian recently told me he was against the holocaust, except for the gypsies.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
At this point, I'm pretty sure Americans are only liked in the Phillipines and Liberia.  Everyone else thinks we're assholes.
View Quote

Most of Asia was pretty cool with Americans circa 2004-2008.  Not sure about before or now.

Europeans are generally nice outside of the major urban areas.

Even the Russians are pretty damn friendly when the vodka is flowing.

Older Australians are cool as hell but the twenty-something generation has an enormous preponderance of fookin' cunts
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#36]
From what I've gathered from watching TV - yeah, great source for my info - we come across as being loud and direct, not afraid to express our thoughts. Not rude, just...loud.
I have no idea if this really is a pervasive viewpoint about Americans., but I wouldn't doubt it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted: So if a foreigner has only visited NYC, then they develop an American stereotype that is not fully representative of the entire country.
View Quote

I know all kinds of people who went to Paris and came back saying "The French are assholes!"

They might feel differently if they realized that most other Frenchmen would agree with them that Parisians are indeed assholes.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When my wife and I visited Paris we witnessed German and Italian tourists literally knock over a baby carriage in their rush to get on the elevator down from the observation deck of the Eiffel Tower.  Europeans don't know how to wait in a line.  They touch art in museums when an American knows to keep his hands to himself.  In the most recent World Cup match you saw Americans extending a hand to help Ghanian players up off the pitch.  Asians ( I lived in Japan for two years and worked in a Chinese restaurant for a while) are unbelievably filthy - when I worked at the Chinese restaurant, when it was time for lunch, the Chinese guys would throw some newspaper on the floor, sit around it, and as they ate their soup they'd all spit the gristle and inedible bits onto the paper.  Americans are quite polite.  I'm proud to be one.
View Quote

Cubans don't understand the concept of lines either.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's a very, very common sentiment amongst any group who knows about the Travelers/gypsies.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An Italian recently told me he was against the holocaust, except for the gypsies.

That's a very, very common sentiment amongst any group who knows about the Travelers/gypsies.  

It is.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's hard to find anyone in Europe that has much love for the Gypsies.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#42]

When I first came to America, I found Americans to be very rude. They didn't know any of the normal French manners and polite habits. Americans found me to be rude because I didn't know any of the normal American customs and habits. How could it be any other way? "Rude" is simply "different customs" by another name.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#43]
I've been all over the world, lived in Germany 3 yrs, Italy 3 yrs, and traveled a bunch to a butt-load of other places on 3 continents on business. Americans are politer than most - except some when they are NOT in the US. I've seen too many American tourists being total assholes, completely oblivious to other cultures and customs. Having said that, Americans are far politer than most cultures I've visited - with the notable exception of a certain shameful urban sub-culture I won't specify due to COC.

Rudest folks I met were in Israel, strangely. Greece second and Egypt third. Oh yeah, Mexico, France, and Canada, too.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

When I first came to America, I found Americans to be very rude. They didn't know any of the normal French manners and polite habits. Americans found me to be rude because I didn't know any of the normal American customs and habits. How could it be any other way? "Rude" is simply "different customs" by another name.
View Quote

Interesting.  Which French manners vs. which American customs?

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I've done a bit of international traveling.  Merica, for all her faults, is still generally an awesome place, with lots of nice and very helpful people.  Gotta say though, I do know a couple Russians, get them drinking a bit and they are a hoot!  Lots of laughs from those guys.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got back from Ireland.   They genuinely love us.  They find us interesting and also because we are a cash cow.   Everyone we met went above and beyond once they got to know us.  They really made us feel welcome.

Sorry my northern friends, but they love southerners more.

Also, my manners were commented on numerous times.

They don't like Muslims...

I got many a dirty look due to my beard and farmers tan... I had one old guy blade at 45 and raise his cane, until I said hello and he heard my accent.  It was in a park and he basically said fuk a lot and Muslims.... I couldn't understand the rest.

I asked why I got looks and that was always the answer.  No offense to anyone just repeating my experiences.

Oh, and most of them don't like the French.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#47]
We're an armed society, ergo, we're a polite society.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's that.

And, there's the fact that the worldwide stereotype of Americans is that we're all fat, lazy, uneducated criminals.  When they find out that their stereotypes are based on what they saw on TV, and that was the most sensationalized news that could be cherry-picked from or about our country, it can be a bit of a surprise.

In Mexico, when I showed them a picture of my  house, they refused to believe that I did not have metal bars over all of my windows.  All they saw on the nightly news were the cherry-picked news stories of crime from the US, and thought that our entire country was basically a war zone of crime.  This was a part of Mexico where an entire family  could no t leave their house at the same time, or the house would be completely emptied while they were gone, and they simply could not understand the idea that I could go for a walk around my neighborhood at night and come home to have my house unburglarized, let alone be safe in my nightly stroll.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  As my Russian sister-in-law says, here in the USA, anyone will be casual friends with you the first time they meet you.  In Russia, nobody will be friends or friendly with you the first time they meet you.   However, once you become their friend, you are their true, sworn friend for life, and they will do anything for you.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Americans are good at setting non-verbal boundaries.  
View Quote

You mean "Personal Space"?  

Riding busses in some nations, you almost feel like you've been in an orgy from all of the bodies and body parts that have been pressed all over you.  You certainly ending up smelling like you've been in an orgy, too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top