Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2002 10:19:19 AM EDT
i have a 5.0L ford engine that is an efi type engine but i know for a fact that the electronics for the computer will get totally wet,so i was woundering how hard it is to change from the efi to a carb type set up. i know about a diffrent intake, carb and linkage and timeing but is there any internal stuff i have to change?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Ummm, why would it get wet?

I have a 5.0 HO in a Mustang GT and I've never had a problem with water. Runs like a bat out of hell. Used the steam cleaner on it several times, just took normal precautions.

Are ya' putting it in a boat?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#2]
well not quite a boat but something that will be in the water a bit something like a swamp buggy. i just got a 5.0L ford motor for free so i said why not...
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool. It's a great motor, are you sure you can't keep it injected? Very low maintenance with EFI. There's gotta be a way to waterproof the electronics.

I think internally the motor should be okay for a swap, but I'm just a driveway hack.

Any real mechanics out there who can answer the swap question?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#4]
NEVER give up EFI for a carb!!!!

I've taken apart a lot of ECUs (engine control units) when I used to reverse-engineer engine management software awhile back. They're quite robust: the PC board is sprayed with a heavy heavy layer of 'conformal coat' plasticized protectant. (Gotta strip it off w/solvent to even DEsolder parts from the PCB.) The box itself is pretty tight too.

One idea: dip the ECU box in a bucket of 'tool dip' (the stuff that when dry becomes the insulating sleeve/coating on pliers, wrenches, etc.)  Take the connector off and refasten it first (maybe even clean the pins) and ensure it runs OK before you do this.  Dip all the way past the connector body and on to the cable.
Let dry, then put some good baggies around it and then strap it down somewhere.

I'd be more worried about getting wet crap in alternator and on distributor TFI pickup (if used in your variant).

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
As long as you could keep the ECU dry, and water out of the intake system, it should be no problem.Almost all of the connections are water proof that go under the hood, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just put the ECU in a waterproof box, run the wires out a hole, seal it up and go!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#6]
i might also run n.o.s but i'm not sure which is more bang for the buck i think you get more horse power when you run a carb with a wet system then an efi dry system. would that make a diffrence
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top