Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2007 7:00:45 AM EDT
considering being "married" in the eyes of the state is a contract between a man and a woman...
can i make amendments to the contract such as how the contract will be terminated and the terms that would result in termination?
Wisconsin is a no fault divorce state, so can i make the contract so that there must be fault? or if there is fault it changes the terms of the termination of said contract?
how about amending the contract to include child visits, and any other nasty leverage that women like to use when a marriage fails?
I know prenumps can eb thrown out within he first few years of marriage, so what if the entire structure of the contract is rearranged/amended?
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
im sure there has to be some ar15.com members out there who got to test how reliable a prenump or other marriage fallback plan are?
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Some states, well three states, have a concept called "Covenant Marriage" where you can agree to jump through certain hoops such that your marriage will be one dissolved only by "Fault"

Your state is not one of them.

If your state enforces prenups, that can address issues like marital assets, appreciation of premarital assets, alimony and attorneys fees if there's a divorce.   It cannot address who gets custody, how much is paid, or anything related to the children.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Ahh, true love.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't do divorce/contract law, but as far as I know, any contract can be altered with the agreement of both parties.  Certain things such as ensuring that neither party is being unfairly pressured, etc. have to be put forth.  But other than that I would think so.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ahh, true love.

naah, its me being smart and covering my ass
i have everything in the world to loose, house, stocks, guns....
she has her student loans.

in her defense though, she is one of the few "good ones" out there. however, I refuse to get worked over by the divorce system if it does come to that.
i am just trying to cover all the bases
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ahh, true love.

naah, its me being smart and covering my ass
i have everything in the world to loose, house, stocks, guns....
she has her student loans.

in her defense though, she is one of the few "good ones" out there. however, I refuse to get worked over by the divorce system if it does come to that.
i am just trying to cover all the bases

If you're as smart as you claim to be, you'll get off the internet message boards, you'll go to www.martindale.com and look up a lawyer in your area to help you with securing your assets in a trust as well as preparing a prenup.  

IN most states, prenumps that are signed by the woman too close to the wedding date (e.g., "ink on the wedding dress") are subject to being thrown out.   You know, their "big day" and all, and its just too "oppressive" to hit them with the prenup too close to "zero hour"

Be careful.   Plan on spending $1000 or so.   You'll also have to get her a lawyer and have an accountant prepare a detailed "disclosure" of your personal financials and assets.  She'll do the same.

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:36:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Trying to analyze marriage as a commercial contract will not get you anywhere.  Although marriage may have had its legal roots in contract, there are literally centuries worth of domestic relations precedent/statutes that must be considered in preparing a prenup.  Your only choice is to go to a competent domestic lawyer.  Even then, don’t expect to get out of a marriage on a whim without cost or consequence.

Also, a prenup will typically protect only the assest you current have and outline the perameters for spousal support if the marriage is dissolved.  If you have kids in the marraige, the prenup will not determine the amount of child support, etc.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#9]
my assets are already in a trust, stocks, house, guns, vehicle etc.
i am probably a year to so away from proposing and another 2.5-3 from marriage. i am just getting a game plan together before D-day. I do plan on having a very good lawyer write up the prenump, and the lawyers for both me and her is also not new news to me, however i did learn about the second lawyer having to be present and  represent her from ar15.com

i am basically fishing for advice on what to do and what not to do in regards to setting up prenumps and trusts.
i know commingling and adding to non marital assets after the wedding date will nullify the trust's security.
A lawyer will be my best source of information, but i do not want to have it as my only source, i trust first hand experience in the matter over what some lawyer promises me "will work".
anyone know of a good lawyer in Wisconsin who does prenumps?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top