Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2001 5:02:18 PM EDT
I have been on this historical rifle kick lately.  So I have been looking at lots of these rifles lately.  On the 1903A3, there is a lever on the side of the left side of the receiver that say off.  It moves to an intermediate position that allows the extraction of the bolt.  If you move it up to the next notch it says on, and allows the bolt to move back a little farther than when it says off.  Could someone please tell me what this for[?][?]

TIA.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and have seen that.  Have wondered myself.  maybe a safety?
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
It stops the magazine from feeding in the "off" position.  In the "on" position, the shells feed from the magazine.  I love my 03A3.  Shoots better than I can.  It will hold 1" groups at 100yds if my eyes do their part.
guns762
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
It is a magazine cutoff so the shooter can use the rifle as a single shot and load it by dropping a round in the top rather than having to first load the mag.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, what "guns" said.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a magazine cut-off. The thinking then of the Ordance types was that with a high capacity magazine of 5 rounds, soldiers might spray and pray. So a magazine cut off was added to the basic Mauser design to keep the magazine loaded. This also allows the shooter to fire a single shot, reload with a single round, and still have a full magazine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:38:51 AM EDT
[#7]
STG44 has it right.  Ordnance Corps thought the magazine held rounds would be used only in an emergency, and the rest of the time the magazine would be off, and the rifle used as a single shot.  It's a carry-over from the Krag, which also had it.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top