Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/9/2010 2:20:31 PM EDT
anybody ever had problems with a travel humidor in your luggage when flying?
not bringing a lighter or anything just wondering if cigars come up missing...
flying into Boston found a few shops here and there shouldnt be a problem
but wanted to bring my BIL a few nice sticks this trip
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:29:15 PM EDT
No problems. I even took a torch lighter with me on a cruise. Cigars and lighter were in the checked baggage. I don't know the legalities of carrying on cigars. I have a travel humidor that seals really well and the cigars were good a week later (the ones that were left anyway). Your biggest problem will be getting it open after the altitude changes a couple of times. I have to pry mine open every time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:36:13 PM EDT
Travelling humidor, no problem, carry on or check in, with or without cigars, even ISOM.
Torch and cutter, check in only, make sure your torch is empty.
Some members here brought cutter on in carry on with no problem, but I would rather be safe and put them in the check in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:37:20 PM EDT
ALWAYS pack! Ya never know whats going to be there. Th
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:37:28 PM EDT
I have done so several times.
Had one bag scanner ask me what they were but with the new technology, they can see it all.
If you are worried, if its not too big, carry it on with you...I usually pack a small herfadore because I have been stranded overnight with no bags more than once.
Last trip I had my 15 stick box with my laptop and other carry on stuff....no problems.

Also as a FYI, I also picked up a Promethesis travel case and pack a full lighter in my checked baggage.
It has the standard TSA permission quote on it...
Only had one backwardsass TSA chestthumper throw a fit...till another one came over and told him he was stupid.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:48:50 PM EDT
I travel a lot both domestically and internationally and always travel with a supply of smokes in my Prometheus traveldor. I've never had the first problem with anybody giving me hard time about my stogies. I almost always have them in my carry on too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:40:48 PM EDT
The only issue I had once was with my 50ct traveldore.

I had it almost stock full of cigars in tubo (aluminum tubes). They asked to open the case and inspect the cigars.

They checked one tube on each layer and sent me on my way with apologies for the delay.

Stress not broseph. I hope you have a great trip.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:50:05 AM EDT
Have they changed the rules on flying with torch lighters since last year?

Torches were banned in either carry on or checked luggage.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:49:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DWFAN:

DW, still banned. I picked one up from Jaime Garcia when I was in Nicaragua last time and forgot I had it on me when I went to the airport. The security guy's went ape shit.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:14:02 AM EDT
did not know that it could go in the carry bag. good to know, last year had a nice luggage handler void my bag of a few nicer things, left a uneasy feeling now everytime I fly
found a shop about 20 minutes from where I am going.
and at least 3 in Boston close enough to the airport.
will buy a cutter and torch for the brother in law and "borrow" them lol
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:24:47 AM EDT

Get a Tranzpack
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Features/CA_Feature_Basic_Template/0,2344,1560,00.html

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:27:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 7:32:06 AM EDT by kchustle]
Originally Posted By OLI62:

DW, still banned. I picked one up from Jaime Garcia when I was in Nicaragua last time and forgot I had it on me when I went to the airport. The security guy's went ape shit.

Whoops. I went on a cruise at the end of May and took a torch lighter. I had it in my checked bags with my toiletries. Checked it on the flight there, checked it onto the boat, used it on the boat and checked it coming back.

ETA: I always take it to Mexico with me and I have been to Mexico 5 times since 2005. Apparently security on checked bags isn't that great.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:36:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 7:53:13 AM EDT by LiteRye01]
only problem I've had with a travel humidor was that my xikar travel humidor seals it self TIGHT. When the folks in the bahamas wanted to see what was inside it took quite some force to get it open and the agent wasn't amused. In the future I'll be traveling with my larger Pelican travel humidor that has a purge valve on it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:24:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 11:27:48 AM EDT by EchoAngel17]

Nope....link here...content below.
http://www.prometheuskkp.com/products/lighters/case/travelcase.htm

L i g h t e r T r a v e l C a s e

A p p r o v e d b y D e p a r t m e n t o f T r a n s p o r t a t i o n (DOT-SP 14415)

As a result of the passage of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, the Transportation Security Administration (www.TSA.gov) banned lighters in commercial aircraft cabins, effective April 14, 2005. The Department of Transportation (www.DOT.gov) has granted Prometheus with Special Permit (DOT-SP 14415) for its Lighter Travel Case. Now, you can put one flammable gas fueled lighter or one liquid (oil fluid) metal lighter in Prometheus Travel Case in your checked baggage, and travel with your lighter in commercial aircraft operating in the United States.

L i g h t e r T r a v e l C a s e
C r u s h p r o o f, A i r t i g h t a n d W a t e r p r o o f u p t o 1 0 0 f e e t
M a d e w i t h A B S p l a s t i c r e i n f o r c e d w i t h f i b e r g l a s s

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $19.95
4.8 inches wide x 3.7 deep x 1.7 high (122 mm x 94 mm x 43 mm)
Black Blue

Your order will be shipped by one of our authorized Prometheus dealers.

Lighter in this package conforms to DOT-SP 14415
and may be transported in checked baggage by
domestic passenger aircraft.

1) Can any brands of lighters go inside of Prometheus Travel Case?

The following lighters can go inside of Prometheus Travel Case:

All Prometheus lighters (DOT T-0458)
All other butane gas lighters assigned with DOT T-number
All liquid (oil fluid) metal lighters

In order to transport any butane gas lighters, manufacturers, importers or distributors must submit their lighters to Explosives Bureau for examination and recommended approval. Upon receipt of the recommendation report from Explosives Bureau, the Department of Transporation will assign a T-number to a lighter. There is one T-number for each lighter brand even though the lighter brand has more than one lighter model.

2) How many lighters can be packed in my checked baggage?

One lighter per Prometheus Travel Case in a checked baggage and two Prometheus Travel Cases per each checked baggage. The maximum number of lighters you can pack in checked luggage is 2 lighters.

CAUTION:

Prometheus Travel Case must be packed in checked baggage. You cannot carry your lighter in Prometheus Travel Case on board the aircraft.

One lighter per Prometheus Travel Case in checked baggage and two Prometheus Travel Cases per each checked baggage (maximum of two lighters per checked baggage).

Do not remove foam inserts.

Do not change or modify Prometheus Travel Case.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:30:50 PM EDT

When did you go to Nica?

I ask as I was down there in January. Sat next to Jaime in first class on the way down. He is a great guy and it was fun to talk to him before his nap.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:58:52 PM EDT
I use one of those 15 ct cigar caddies. Only problem I had with it is you have to pry it open sometimes after a fight.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:38:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cedjunior:
I use one of those 15 ct cigar caddies. Only problem I had with it is you have to pry it open sometimes after a fight.

Spring for one of the bigger ones by Xicar. It'll have the purge value you need.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:17:49 PM EDT
I went with a 1200 series from here http://armoredhumidor.com/. I have never had a single issue with them when using this.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:32:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cedjunior:

not sure if mine is a older or newer model one but it has a spot you put a coin in and twist to break the seal when this happens

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:07:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bigrob88:
anybody ever had problems with a travel humidor in your luggage when flying?
not bringing a lighter or anything just wondering if cigars come up missing...
flying into Boston found a few shops here and there shouldnt be a problem
but wanted to bring my BIL a few nice sticks this trip

I have flown with a full humidor in my carry on, and just got off a plane last night with a humidor full of pipe tobacco, also in my carry on...

I have never had even a second look at my bags, with the exception of several passengers wondering what I had in the humidor while I was carrying it through the terminal in ATL.

I haven't taken any cutters or torches in my carry on, but I have heard that cutters (guillotines) are allowed now.
Top Top