Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/23/2002 10:35:30 AM EDT
sorry these are all seperated. couldn't figure out how to get all three pics on one thread. oh well. [img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/69460f7f/bc/Helo+pics/__hr_helo+pic+3.jpg?bcClR78AbenJkd2u[/img]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 10:39:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 10:58:50 AM EDT
I get wood just thinking about getting Stinger tone on that thing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:31:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 10:35:29 PM EDT
I dunno, could be they had to attatch them where they did at the root for structral reasons, and the droop brings them far enough down to be loaded. Maybe the angle reduces strain on the wing somehow. Maybe they had to be low enough so the engines wouldn't quit when they ingested all the exhaust from a salvo of rockets. Our Cobras (Army) were restricted from firing quads or salvos with the Mk66 motor because the exhaust would bog the engine down and cause some pretty bad problems (like compressor stall). The wings do provide lift while the Hind is flying. They are a heavy aircraft and don't hover very well. The ones I've seen operating (ours and theirs) were always moving around. You have to actually FLY the thing around. We had a Cobra on the IGB (Inter-German Border, doesn't exist anymore) flying along the border and have a Hind shadow on the other side. The pilot pulled up to a hover and the Hind tried to do the same thing and crashed. After that the Hinds always continued forward and circled back. Seems when the wings stalled out, they didn't have the power to arrest it and settled. The US Army has had Hinds since the early-80's. The test bed was testing them and we weren't supposed to have them, but supposedly one got out of Afghanistan back during the Soviet war days and wound up here. I saw it in 1984, on it's way back to Rucker from California it stopped at our airfiled for fuel. We got to check it out and talk to the pilots, but no pictures, etc were allowed. It's a good aircraft. Tough as all hell and VERY maintainable. Fire control system was total junk though. Anyway, the Army now operates several of them as aggressor aircraft and they get more flight time in the Mi-24 than the Russians do. Ross
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 10:40:33 PM EDT
There was a Hind buzzing around the Phoenix area the other week.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:09:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:25:58 PM EDT
Thanks for not calling it a "chopper" [;)] Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:30:20 PM EDT
Top Top