Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2002 2:48:06 PM EDT
I was just watching NBC Nightly News with Tom Pukeall, and they are saying an eyewitness to last night's shooting describes the weapon as an AK variant.  They threw up a picture of an AK74 and said some are chambered to fire the .223 round.

I'm just curious, if it's a 74, couldn't they confuse the actual projectile of the 5.45x39 with a .223, or is it a smaller diameter?

Any thoughts on this? or the eyewitness?  

I personally want this fucker caught and drug through the coals, then executed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Just saw the storu too, they showed an AK-74.  They also stated that some varities fire the .223.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, but it blows the perception that AK's are inaccurate out of the water.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
do the general sheep know what an AK is?
or were there gun owners that witnessed it?
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I look at it this way..
The AK is the most recognizable firearm in world. The only thing most non gun owners can tell the difference of is A Hunting long arm
An "assault" type rifle that they will automatically assume is an AK because that's what everyone sees every time you watch the news someone is toting an AK. And most people assume anything that is fairly small and "sprays"bullets is an UZI because that's what they see on TV
the only thing I get from this is that it MAY be some type of military "style" (oh god I hate saying that) weapon.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Lot's of gun nuts in VA & MD. Some of them even post here. If someone said they saw an "AK Varient" they probubly know what they saw.

A layman would call it an AK-47. Only a a gun nut would tell police he saw the shooter and he was armed with an "AK varient"

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Romanian SAR-3 rifles are .223 caliber and have a side-mount scope rail.

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
a freind of mine has a .223 AK but it is not very accurate, just a lead slinger
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The eye witness also said the man looked middle eastern but the media is not PROFILING ANYONE BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO OFFEND THEM!!!!!!!!
This is what happens when your life is put into others hands! You get killed or screwed!
What ever happened to the good old days when the local boy's would get together with the dogs and put some road blocks up!
Oh yea sorry I forgot, we are not capable of making those decisions and defend ourselves and family.
Freedom is gone. We are just a 9 digit tax number now.

edited bacause soylent_green can count and I can't.

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone mentioned it earlier, I think it could be a Mini-14, someone could think it was an AK (non-gun soccermom type person) because of the magazine.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Someone mentioned it earlier, I think it could be a Mini-14, someone could think it was an AK (non-gun soccermom type person) because of the magazine.  
View Quote

WHAT !? it cant be...no pistol grip! No tele stock!!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The eye witness also said the man looked middle eastern but the media is not PROFILING ANYONE BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO OFFEND THEM!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Actually I think it is so idiots won't be driving to the local 7-11 and shooting the first turban he sees. I have met some very pleasent, but hygenically challenged, Sikhs.

Freedom is gone. We are just a 6 digit tax number now.
View Quote

Hey! I am more than a six digit number! My SSN has 9 digits!
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#14]
The 5.45x39MM Soviet is one of the [b]FEW[/b] ".22" cartridges that does [b]NOT[/b] use .224 diameter bullets. Which is what [b]REALLY[/b] shows the government's bias. They keep saying ".223 weapon", when the projectile is most probably .224. They are [b]INTENTIONALLY[/b] slanting the public bais against AR-15 family weapons, by misquoting the caliber in order to steer the assumption to it being an "assualt rifle". It could be an assault rifle, but that is doubtful. And there is [b]NO[/b] evidence it is an assault rifle, since only one shot has been fired [b]EVERY TIME[/b]. So where is the support it is a selective fire weapon? Huh? Huh? [b]LYING FUCKING BASTARDS!!!!![/b] That's where.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Actually I think it is so idiots won't be driving to the local 7-11 and shooting the first turban he sees. I have met some very pleasent, but hygenically challenged, Sikhs.
View Quote

Shoot em? Naw. That would be discriminating. I would be more on the line of scaring them real good until we find the perp..

Hey! I am more than a six digit number! My SSN has 9 digits!
View Quote

Mine has nine too! Maybe we have the same number! What's yours?
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

WHAT !? it cant be...no pistol grip! No tele stock!!!!
View Quote

Not all of them

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Ponyboy%2FRifle01%2EJPG[/img]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lot's of gun nuts in VA & MD.
View Quote

You rang? [:E]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
An AK varient would be a logical choice for a middle eastern trained terrorist.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[Not all of them

[url]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Ponyboy%2FRifle01%2EJPG[/url]
View Quote

hey Ponyboy, what's the barrel length on that ??
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#20]
They keep saying ".223 weapon", when the projectile is most probably .224. They are INTENTIONALLY slanting the public bais against AR-15 family weapons, by misquoting the caliber in order to steer the assumption to it being an "assualt rifle". It could be an assault rifle, but that is doubtful.
View Quote

So...what makes an SAR-2 any less of an "assault rifle" than an AR-15?
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, even though there are many gun owners in MD, I can personally attest to the fact that not even [b]NEARLY[/b] all gun owners know the difference between an [b]AR15[/b], [b]AK variant[/b], [b]Mini 14[/b], [b]FAL[/b] ect ect.
Many gun owners only know shotguns, and deer rifles...an of those, many only know the shotgun, or deer rifle that they personally own.

I have been at the public range many times with a handfull of rifles from my collection ([i]which includes all of the above mentioned rifles[/i]) and heard comments like "[b]Wow, look at all those AK 47s[/b]"...
I have been there at different times with [b]only[/b] an AR 15, or [b]only[/b] an FAL,...and been approached by other shooters who said "[b]Man, thats a nice AK 47. Where did you get it?[/b]"
So you can not just assume someone knows what they are talking about when they say "AK 47".  That name has been [b]Heavily[/b] demonized, publicized, and mis-used by the media, gun control groups, Law Enforcement ect ect as a general term for EVIL RIFLE.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Shoot em? Naw. That would be discriminating. I would be more on the line of scaring them real good until we find the perp..
View Quote

You want my SSN?
The one I give to people who have no business asking is this one- 308-22-3006. It is easy to remember, and since anyone except the SSA is breaking the law when they request it, I am not breaking any laws by giving it to them. Feel free to use it as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#23]
FWIW - I have had non gun savy people look at my M4 from a distance of about 20' and ask what kind of AK it is, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that this guy has NO idea what the hell he is talking about.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I think there are at least 3 members of this terroist cell.  It is possible they are using multiple firearms, I do not trust the statements that all the bullets are coming from the same gun. I suspect they may be the same case of ammo and the fragments are consistent.

An AK type weapon can hit targets at 100 -150 yards but would they get consistent center mass /head shot hits?  Maybe.

Remember it took the agencies working this case 10 days to release a picture of a truck and tehy still aren't admitting this is a terrorism case despite multiple eyewitness sighting of ME individuals.

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They keep saying ".223 weapon", when the projectile is most probably .224. They are INTENTIONALLY slanting the public bais against AR-15 family weapons, by misquoting the caliber in order to steer the assumption to it being an "assualt rifle". It could be an assault rifle, but that is doubtful.
View Quote

So...what makes an SAR-2 any less of an "assault rifle" than an AR-15?
View Quote
Neither one is an assault rifle.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You want my SSN?
The one I give to people who have no business asking is this one- 308-22-3006. It is easy to remember, and since anyone except the SSA is breaking the law when they request it, I am not breaking any laws by giving it to them. Feel free to use it as well.
View Quote

Nope not the same mine is 223-45-3006. Maybe we have the same divers license numbers? I wont ask you for that one because it too would probably be against the law asking for it and I don't want the 2 more strikes.
The media is now saying that the suspect is a dark skin male.
You know what, this guy is scaring me. I know I am a couple of hours from this guy but I was at the pump today and I had the tin cap on and my little voices were telling me to keep the bean down and don't be an easy target.
This guy is probably ether one of two.
#1 Taliban/Alqida??/ Bin Ladens' dog
#2 Taliban/Alqida??/ Bin Ladens' dog
(can I get a spell check on Alqida?)
At least (I hate to say this) but I hope he is and not one of our own.
The witness('s) got a partial plate number, saw the guys face, and the firearm used. I don't want to sound like a supper hero wannabe but if I had access to a vehicle at the time of the event, my gas pedal would get stuck and my bumper would get stuck 10 feet into this guy's butt.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#27]
[img]http://www.robarm.com/images/223_VEPR_II_Side.jpg[/img]
The VEPR II .223 rifle is based on the same high quality RPK receiver as the standard VEPR but has been equipped with an ergonomic buttstock, pistol grip, and handguard made from fiber reinforced nylon for better handling and greater accuracy. The VEPR II .223 will accept   30 round magazines which are readily available.  

With this rifle you can have amazing accuracy and the reliability you expect of an AK.  These rifles are in stock and shipping.  We have lots of additional .223 magazines for these rifles in stock.  Contact us at 801-355-0401 for a dealer near you.

VEPR™ II .223 SPECIFICATIONS
Semiauto Action
Kalashnikov, Gas Operated, Rotating Bolt

Receiver
RPK Type with Extra Reinforcement

Calibers
.223 Rem.

Barrel
20.5” (520mm) Long Hammer-Forged, and Chrome-Lined

Overall Length
 39.75” (1000mm)

Weight
9.0 lbs. (4082 grams)

Feeding Devices
30 Round Detachable Box Magazine

Stock
Nylon with Glass Fiber Reinforcement

Scope Mounting
Scope Mounting Bracket on Left Side.  Scope Mount Not Incl.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top