Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 5:11:30 PM EDT
I got tasked (today) with developing a two hour block for in-service training about cultural diversity.  I already have some pretty good material, but I would like to liven it up a little with stuff that is directly and immediately relevant to the street cop and line investigator.  I've heard some stories - don't ask Asians to kneel down when arresting them because they'll think they're about to be executed, don't give a "thumbs up" to a Brazilian (it's apparently the same as the middle finger is to us).  That sort of stuff...anyone have anything to chime in?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I would probably start by checking to see what ethnic groups have major populations within your jurisdiction.  Utilize local universities or colleges in your area for background information.  Most have some type of foreign studies programs.  I know in our jurisdiction we have a list of interpreters (courtesy of the university) for about any language throughout the world.  Its a good resource for the type of information your searching for for a class.

Greg
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:14:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Check the Okla. Regional Community policing website. They have an online course about the Muslum religion.  It might be a good start. It is authorized for police training credits in Okla.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Definitely look up anything you hear from others.  Nothing can be worse for cultural diversity than spreading rumors/stereotypes.  I don't feel like I'm about to be executed when I kneel down . . . but perhaps there's a more specific source for that idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top