Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2002 7:42:29 PM EDT
anyone use these?

i'm interested in a pair that has really good directional sound amplification with at least decent noise reduction, i'd use them with plugs for shooting practice, and without for hunting

anyone use "wolf ears"

howabout the "pro ears stalker"

??

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I used "Peltor" brand white noise muffs in the Navy.... Man did they work great. ($500 a set)

Never seen em surplus, but I keep lookin...

[50]
[50]
[50]
[50]
[(:)]
[50]
[50]

Great for long days at the range.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the ProEars slim model. Good for outdoors, maybe not as good for indoors. The magnum model would be better for indoors.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Electronic Muffs ? Have not tried them but it sounds like it would save you a lot of humping..[:D]...[sex]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're going to spend $200.00 or so for ears, you might as well get a pair that do not require wearing ear plugs as well.

I have a peltor unit that works for me. I have come to detest ear plugs, which I resort to when my wife goes shooting with me. She likes the Peltors too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I own the Peltor Tactical 7-S. I love'em! [:D]Nothing better than being able to hear someone speaking 75 yards behind the firing line while still muffling out muzzle blasts and action noise.

Now... if they would only fit under my PASGT helmet. Then they'd be perfect. [:|]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my electronic muffs, I just wish they would get more compact.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a pair of the Remington electronic ear muffs (which I have temporarly misplaced [:(]).

They work very good.

The only time i've had anything unusual happen was when I was on the pistol side of a particular range I go to. They have a quarry next door and I constantly hear this low level "raw-raw-raw-raw" from the equipment.

Its kinda annoying but they still work great. They block out the shots while allowing me to hear conversations, etc.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a trade off too. Some of the larger muffs, like the ProEars magnum series, tend to bang against the stock and can interfere with your cheek weld. The slim muffs usually don't have that problem but are not as effective. So, you have to take your pick. For indoors, you really want the heavy muffs.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]
i'll be using them outdoors so if i get a pair i'll go with slim ones

has anyone used both "wolf ears" and "pro ears stalker" models? looking for a comparison. both are slim it seems, and claim good enhanced hearing.

if i shoot in excessive noise situations i'll put foam plugs underneath

Link Posted: 8/14/2002 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a pair of Peltors. The only problem I have is that when I start sweating it seems to affect the left muff. The sound will cut out like the sweat is shorting it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I got the ProEars ProSlims in OD last year for $149 at Brownells.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:41:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Are these Pro-Ears good enough that I wont need foam plugs underneath?
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 1:14:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are these Pro-Ears good enough that I wont need foam plugs underneath?
View Quote

If you get the magnum model, you probably won't need plugs underneath, even for indoors. The slim model, well, I would say you should use plugs indoors and even outdoors if you shoot under an awning or in an enclosed area. I use the slims at an outdoor range with an awning, and nothing really bothers me, not even AR15s with brakes. But hearing loss is insidious, so I may be damaging my ears and not know it.

My ears are far from virgin, so you may want to ask some of the guys under 30 (I'm 40) how well the muffs work. I stood in front of a Marshall 100wt amp for most of my adult life, so I'm probably already half deaf.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 3:46:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Try to locate a Peltor dealer that has Com Tac's in stock. Once you try these puppies you will be sold. Unless of course you are a lefty rifle shooter.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top