Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/14/2006 6:19:19 AM EDT
here is a first.
cgi.ebay.com/Leigh-D4-Dovetail-24-Jig_W0QQitemZ8259645596QQcategoryZ3131QQssPageNam­eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

*EBay Tax of $10.00 applies
*I love the eBay concept and it used to be that they were happy with insertion fees and optional ala carte extra features to make a profit. Then an insertion fee was instituted - much like a sales tax for eBay sellers. I eat the insertion fees as costs of doing business, but a psuedo sales tax , by eBay or by the government- just like any business - gets pass down to the customer, unfortunately.

i wonder if that will become the norm or will ebay ban the pratice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:23:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 6:23:57 AM EDT by Yossarian]

Originally Posted By hanau:
here is a first.
cgi.ebay.com/Leigh-D4-Dovetail-24-Jig_W0QQitemZ8259645596QQcategoryZ3131QQssPageNam­eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

*I love the eBay concept and it used to be that they were happy with insertion fees and optional ala carte extra features to make a profit. Then an insertion fee was instituted - much like a sales tax for eBay sellers. I eat the insertion fees as costs of doing business, but a psuedo sales tax , by eBay or by the government- just like any business - gets pass down to the customer, unfortunately.

i wonder if that will become the norm or will ebay ban the pratice.

My wife has an insertion fee....about 10 bucks for a bouquet of flowers.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:23:40 AM EDT
Just a seller making an excuse to get an extra $10 out of the buyer
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:29:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 6:32:51 AM EDT by Hamel]
This guy is mad that Ebay charges people a fee to sell their product on their online website?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:31:35 AM EDT
EBay would probably pull the auction if it were reported to them. If you want to recoup the cost of listing the item, start your bidding at a higher number. Dumbass seller....

And I'm pretty sure it's illegal to call something a tax if the money's not going to the government.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:39:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:39:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
EBay would probably pull the auction if it were reported to them. If you want to recoup the cost of listing the item, start your bidding at a higher number. Dumbass seller....

And I'm pretty sure it's illegal to call something a tax if the money's not going to the government.

I don't think there's anything they can do. he is up front about his terms and explains them. Competition in the marketplace will make or break this guy.

I can't believe that half of you trip over yourselves defending big oil saying it is america and we can charge what we want to, but when a little guy tries to do it on Ebay you are all over him. Friggin double standard if you ask me. If you don't agree with his terms, then buy from someone else. If it is the only thing available then thats just too bad now isn't it?

People pad their shipping costs all the time to cover the insertion and final value fees. People on the EE try to charge an extra 3% for paypal but I hardly hear bitching about that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:49:10 AM EDT
I like this honest approach (except calling it a "Tax") than padding the S/h fee at least he is up front about it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:51:31 AM EDT
Reminds me of "Cash Discount" from a certain group of people....

But calling it a Tax is wrong.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:01:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hanau:

I am a little confused. First, insertion fees, were OK, now they aren't? I don't get on eBay very much, so what is this guy complaining about?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:03:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:

its my understanding that the "cash discount" is just that ..

the 3% added for CC's are to cover the fees by the CC PROCESSER.

How is that a tax?

its simply the seller passing the cost on to the consumer..
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:10:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cluster:

Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:

its my understanding that the "cash discount" is just that ..

the 3% added for CC's are to cover the fees by the CC PROCESSER.

How is that a tax?

its simply the seller passing the cost on to the consumer..

Once your GayPal account gets converted to Premier status because you accepted that first CC transaction, all future transactions, CC or not, get charged the 3%, that's a fucking rip off!
Top Top