Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 11/17/2011 6:11:31 AM EDT
Hello all, I need email help.

I still have an email address from my now defunct business through web.com. It is the slowest most awful email with zero spam protection.

I  opened a Yahoo mail account as an alternative but ever other email I send requires I key in a capchka. Today I tried sending an email to 20 people on my mailing list (yahoo says you can only send to max 20 addresses at one time) and I get a message:Your message was not sent Suspicious activity has been detected on your account. So screw Yahoo.

I've thought about using Comcast but A) I might switch to Fios & B) I didn't like their web based interface.

So my question: Can anyone recommend an email service for hire that has decent spam filters and will let me forward stuff to my family & friends without requiring capchkas? I am willing to pay a reasonable fee to keep my email address.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:05:11 AM EDT
Rackspace.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 1:09:57 PM EDT
Gmail. I switched to it years ago and have never found a need to change. No matter what ISP or device I can be annoyed by whatever idiocy my friends feel they need to send me.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 1:15:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SniperKage:

Gmail. I switched to it years ago and have never found a need to change. No matter what ISP or device I can be annoyed by whatever idiocy my friends feel they need to send me.

This.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 6:04:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By schizrade:

Rackspace.
Don't you work for them?

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 6:41:58 PM EDT
Gmail or spend a few bucks a year and get your own domain, and quit using web based interfaces, use a real email client like Outlook or the like, it makes email a lot easier to use.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:52:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Angry-American:
Gmail or spend a few bucks a year and get your own domain, and quit using web based interfaces, use a real email client like Outlook or the like, it makes email a lot easier to use.  

If you want to go this route, shoot me a PM. I can help get you all setup.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:08:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Whamo:
Hello all, I need email help.
I still have an email address from my now defunct business through web.com. It is the slowest most awful email with zero spam protection.
I  opened a Yahoo mail account as an alternative but ever other email I send requires I key in a capchka. Today I tried sending an email to 20 people on my mailing list (yahoo says you can only send to max 20 addresses at one time) and I get a message:Your message was not sent Suspicious activity has been detected on your account. So screw Yahoo.

I've thought about using Comcast but A) I might switch to Fios & B) I didn't like their web based interface.

So my question: Can anyone recommend an email service for hire that has decent spam filters and will let me forward stuff to my family & friends without requiring capchkas? I am willing to pay a reasonable fee to keep my email address.

Thanks!

Have you considered hotmail?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:46:03 PM EDT
Rackspace.

Bleh, use Apptix
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:47:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:

Rackspace.
Don't you work for them?

I do, but I don't use our commercial email.  Gmail does it for me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:21:04 PM EDT
You don't have to use Comcast's Web interface.  It is possible to access your Comcast email account via POP3, using Thunderbird or whatever.  That's how I do it.  Haven't logged into Comcast's webmail since I got Thunderbird set up to send/receive via POP3.

I have also had an account at GMX.com for a couple of years.  Access has been reliable, and I've had no indication that personal information was compromised.  As with Comcast,  it's your choice to use Web-based email (browser) or POP3 (email client, e.g. Thunderbird) with GMX.com.

I ended up with a Gmail account by accident, when my old university moved all alumni accounts to Gmail.  I don't use it for anything except Google Voice, which is pretty neat, and almost worth signing up for a Gmail account by itself.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 7:37:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:

Rackspace.
Don't you work for them?

No.
Top Top