Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2021 4:04:43 AM EDT
I've got a new Safariland double mag holder that's replacing an old, worn out one.  However, the belt loop is so tight that I cannot get the belt through it to get it on the belt.  I never had that problem with the old one, so I got another new one thinking it was a fluke and found the same thing; too tight to get on the belt.  I realize it's new and stiff leather, but it's so new and stiff that I can't get the belt thru the loops.  So here's my question:  what can I do?  My only thought was TRY to make small  cuts in the leather in the corners of the belt loops so the belt can slide thru.  However, this is thick leather, and making such small cuts with such a small area to work with will be difficult.  Also, wouldn't cutting the belt loop lead to further tearing along the cuts in the future?

Hopefully I'm describing all this well enough to where it's understandable.  I just don't know what to do because I now have two mag holders that I can't get the belt thru.  Is there an easier solution that I'm just being dumb and overlooking?  Or even a more difficult one that will work better?  Help please!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ve found new pouches can be tough to get on. You might try spraying it down with silicone spray.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used screw drivers and my leatherman tool pliers to put pouches on before. They can be impossibly tight.

One of the universe's mysteries - it takes two men and half a horse to move the pouches to where you want them.  But hang it from the buckle in your locker and by the next shift, everything has slid down to the end of the belt.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Do not cut or notch the mag pouch belt loops. It will induce the leather to tear at those points once you do get it on the belt from normal movements like getting in and out of the car. There were times when it would have been easier to have two people work on it with one holding the belt while the other slid the pouch along it to its proper placement. The silicone spray is a good place to start in addition to making sure the mags are not in the pouch when you are trying to feed the end of the belt into the slot. We’ve gone as far as once getting the tip of the belt into the slot as far as you can by hand we inserted  long jaw needle nose pliers from the opposite end slot to grab it and pull it through until it could then be finished by hand. If you are careful doing this you will not mar the belt with the pliers. If you want extra precautions not to mar the belt then put some rubber bands around the jaws.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Use the included plastic piece in the package. Slip it in the belt loops then try to put the belt through, like a shoe horn of sorts. It still takes some doing, but helps a lot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#5]
^^^^^ This is correct.

Also, some of the newer pouches are set up for two different belt widths. Be sure you're not actually in the smaller belt channel; it can be just an extra tiny little leather flap, but enough to hang you up.

..... I have personally put my feet on a holster, grabbed the end of the belt and pushed like I was wrestling a fucking cobra at least once in my career. Hang in there
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out zero9 and then ditch it!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Use silicone spray, as well as screwdrivers and it helps to maybe heat it up somewhat.

You want good tight fitting leather, it stretches over time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You want good tight fitting leather, it stretches over time.
View Quote

Safariland duty gear hasn't been leather in 25+ years.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is when the op mentions it is, in his post.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Safariland duty gear is leather and my current stuff was issued to me a year or so ago.....and it was brand new.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check out zero9 and then ditch it!
View Quote

Ditto. Zero 9 is good stuff! My department just made the switch from Glock 21s to Glock 17s so I had to get a new mag pouch. My previous one was from Zero 9 and I had good luck with it so I ordered another. Got it in a few days and I like it much better than the open top Safariland mag pouches I had in the past.

Also have one of their radio holders which is phenomenal. Had one small issue with clearance for my shoulder mic connector but they were super responsive and fixed it with no issue.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Update, if anyone is interested:  I used a heat gun on low and slowly heated the leather a little, just enough that it would stretch.  Got the belt through pretty easy after that.  Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top