Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/1/2009 5:55:35 PM EST
let me preface by saying I live in a college town in college apts and it's move out week. Around this time of year, contracts expire, people move out in a hurry, lot's o shit gets left behind and tossed.

I'm a pretty frugal bastard (not cheap, not really poor) and I'm amazed at what people toss in a pinch here. I have all sorts of stuff that is located just by the better half and myself going for a walk and poking around.

Last night during one of these walks, I came across this (which granted, I found odd to be dumped in a college town, but it really doesn't suprise me):

About all I had to do to it was clean it up with a rag and some WD40, pound some busted in doors out and solder a handle back together and although not pretty is quite functional. (I do have tons of gloss black engine paint, but figure it's not worth the effort to repaint it).

I figure it's the perfect toolbox to keep all of my AK building tools in order.

Past winners include multiple working televisions (the 29" TV in my living room came this way), lot's of work benches, multiple pieces of actual decent furnature including decent chairs, tables, hutches, coffee tables, a cast iron stillet that needed nothing but cleaning and reseasoning, a guitar amp I gave to my upstairs neighbor who about flipped out when he saw it, some misc tools and so on and so forth.

Anyone else 'dumpster dive' and find anything different/noteworthy/useful?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:57:23 PM EST
My only dumpster dive find is a Kelty day pack that I looked up on their website and sells for $80 new!

I washed it twice and use it every time I go camping on short trips now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:57:42 PM EST
I learned how to make a 10 point toothpick star into a 5 point toothpick star without touching it today...
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:59:05 PM EST
My wifes cousin does this every year. It is amazing what they get. She has given me nice northface stuff underarmor fleece etc. I just wash it like 10x and it is good to go.

We have a large garage sale in july she sells most of the stuff she finds and makes bank.

It is truly amazing what gets tossed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:00:39 PM EST
Some nice mid-century chrome and formica furniture.
Also a weird pressed aluminum suitcase.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:02:12 PM EST
Nothing but dead hookers around here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:02:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By theskuh:
My wifes cousin does this every year. It is amazing what they get. She has given me nice northface stuff underarmor fleece etc. I just wash it like 10x and it is good to go.

We have a large garage sale in july she sells most of the stuff she finds and makes bank.

It is truly amazing what gets tossed.

What amazes me is how much clothing gets tossed here.

There's a Salvation Army in this town (and several drop boxes)...how hard is it to take your useful clothes, toss them in a bag and take them to one of the drop boxes.

Granted, I see alot of beat to shit furnature (busted, fucked up, stained, nasty looking) but I've also seen almost brand new looking couches and the like going out to the dumpster.

I understand you can't always take things with you, but what I see is just wasteful/sad.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:06:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2009 6:08:03 PM EST by --bullseye--]
As a college student, I see a lot of stuff thrown out at the end of the school year. Some slightly useful things, but nothing ever too special. I don't think I've ever retrieved anything.

A lot of the students where I go to college adopt a scorched earth type policy when they toss stuff (i.e. cut off power cords/smash things/burn things). If they can't use it anymore, no one will.

The house I moved into last year had a decent left behind microwave, but someone had cut the cord off.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:09:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:
As a college student, I see a lot of stuff thrown out at the end of the school year. Some slightly useful things, but nothing ever too special. I don't think I've ever saved anything.

A lot of the students where I go to college adopt a scorched earth type policy when they toss stuff (i.e. cut off power cords/smash things/burn things). If they can't use it anymore, no one will.

The house I moved into last year had a decent left behind microwave, but someone had cut the cord off.

I see my share of deliberately destroyed scorched earth policy type things also. Gots to wade through a ton of trash to find some decent stuff.

Not that hard to install a new power cord on something btw.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:15:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2009 6:16:15 PM EST by --bullseye--]

Originally Posted By nightmare0331:
Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:
As a college student, I see a lot of stuff thrown out at the end of the school year. Some slightly useful things, but nothing ever too special. I don't think I've ever saved anything.

I see my share of deliberately destroyed scorched earth policy type things also. Gots to wade through a ton of trash to find some decent stuff.

Not that hard to install a new power cord on something btw.

Yeah, I've replaced a few cords on some power tools before. Never seen a Sawzall in a dumpster though.

The reason I probably don't save things from the trash is I've already got 3 of everything. Now that LCD TVs are really taking off, college students everywhere are receiving their relatives CRT hand-me-downs. I live in a house with two other roommates. We've got more TVs than people living in the house. Same goes for microwaves, vacuum cleaners, etc. Comes to a point where we don't have room for the stuff anymore. I can see how people get to the point where they just trash the stuff; my 4 door sedan can only take so much stuff home.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:12:20 AM EST
Empty trashcans at the range I found five 1911 mags: 1 Colt, 2 USGI and 2 aftermarket of good quality. I have no idea why they were tossed, but they are mine now!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:17:14 AM EST
You guys would shit twinkies if you ever had the chance to dumpster dive on an Army base when a Unit gets shut down or moved. Good lord the shit we throw away.

When I was a kid, I got most of my fishing gear by dumpster diving. Oregonian fishermen have a tendency to clean out their tackle boxes every spring.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:22:18 AM EST
i got a "best buy" distrubution center up the street from me.my buddy works for the company that hauls their roll off container away to the land fill.you should see the stuff they trow away.most of it discontnued items, cell phones ,computers, tv,s audio equipment.granted some of this stuff is busted, but a lot of its just discontinued, wrote off an thrown away! he,s made some money selling some of that stuff.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:27:27 AM EST
couple chairs, I'm sure there was more stuff.

haven't been in a while got too much shit as it is now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:30:10 AM EST
Just a pressure washer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:31:42 AM EST
I got the computer I'm using right now out of a dumpster. Same thing for the speakers and fat woofer I have now. Got a vaccum cleaner that just needed a new belt. Found an Olympus digital camera with two memory cards once. I've found a couple of coolers. I also found a 15-60X spotting scope on a tripod at the range. Nobody around and nobody signed in for over a day. Left a note. Nobody called. It's mine now. Works fine.

I too am fixing to move to a college town and I'm already salivating at the thought of what I'll find. If it's good keep it. If it isn't so good, donate it to Goodwill and write it off your taxes. In fact, all patriotic Americans should do that as a way of starving the government out of revenue it desperately needs to remove our rights.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:32:26 AM EST
got an air compressor with a hole rusted in the tank .... brasd the hole closed and have been using it for years.....

Other then that , not much
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:47:38 AM EST
Working at toys r us one day, i had to crawl down the trash shoot (chute?) and into the compactor to fix a jam

The jam was trash bag full of mp3 players (the little 2gig usb type) and miscellaneous returned controllers and other electronics . I tried to find something good, but ended up with my cargo pants stuffed with looted mp3 players and head phones.

I climbed out, showed my sup. his exact words were "Nice find."
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:15:20 AM EST
Found a working Atari 800 computer system one day.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:22:29 AM EST
My father has been dumperster diving for 10-15 years. He's retired and it is his vacation money. He dives in industrial and commercial areas. You wouldn't believe the stuff he finds to resell at flea markets. One time he found a dozen Dewalt framing nailers. A few had bent nail chutes, dings, bust carrying cases. Out of the dozen he rebuilt 8 and sold them. He has a pole barn full of the stuff he has found. Keeps him busy and makes a few $$.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:27:47 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:29:45 AM EST
K-pot
med alice pack
2 silver dollors
tons of coins/bills from all over the world
7 laptops
cash
hundreds of ww2 photographs
new clothes
tools
tons of pop cans beer bottles michigan 10cent deposit

I work at the second largest apartment complex in america
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:37:59 AM EST
my best find was years ago.
I was young and living in apts, one of my neighbors fell asleep smoking and most feared events followed true. apt burned out completly, neighbor was OK but never seen again left the area
Manager, waits a week for insurance to be done etc. then has some folks clean out the unit with shovels and wheel barrows preping for a redeaux

I that evening take my trash to the dumpster and notice something shiny,,
I grab, pull, yank and get clear with a LARGE Coffee samavor...2 gal size,,,very ornate, and look, theres a coffee service too and salt and pepper shakers, and a tray and some other things,..damn,,

I spent 2 hours taking the trash out,,wife wanted to knnow IF I had a GF?

I said no, just found some junque I coveted in the trash, she smirked and went to do what she does..

I start cleaning my trash find and find

all the stuff is STERLING, russian in make, and SOLID SILVER, not plate.

I cleand it all up and sold it to a dealer for over 2k in 1970's money

I also have a cheap german .22 revolver that 2 smiths have told me its not worth fixing, so it collects dust on a shelf..but it was an exciting find when found

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:42:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 5:44:42 AM EST by pale_pony]
Originally Posted By sprayandpray:
got an air compressor with a hole rusted in the tank .... brasd the hole closed and have been using it for years.....

Other then that , not much

No flame bro, but have you ever seen an accident scene of an air compressor explosion?

I worked a compressor failure accident scene out on Coyote Trail Road by Keystone Lake, Mannford OK back in 2000. A hobbyist was trying to sand blast an old Chevy that he was restoring, using an air compressor that he had "repaired" and the tank ruptured under 120 psi force. The nails in the walls were pushed out an average of 1/4" protruding from the exterior of the garage walls because the concussion of the rupturing tank caused the wall boards to flex outwards and then contract suddenly as the force of the air pressure dissipated.

I learned a new term from the EMT's and the county sheriff's bomb squad as we were trying to reconstruct the accident scene...

They called it a "Palpable Skull Fracture", meaning that there was gray-matter coming out of the victim's ears from the concussion of the blast. DRT.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:42:40 AM EST
I found a mountain bike with a bent rim. Replaced the rim and rode it for many years and then sold it. It was across the street from a bike shop. They probably wanted more $ to fix it than to just sell another.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:47:20 AM EST
+1 on a military base. There are retired Army guys who make a fine living dumpster diving after basic trainees move out....
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:39:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I found a mountain bike with a bent rim. Replaced the rim and rode it for many years and then sold it. It was across the street from a bike shop. They probably wanted more $ to fix it than to just sell another.

That's another thing you find alot of abandoned in a college town...bikes. most are cheapo huffies and the like, but not always.

I don't think I've ever actually *paid* for a bike now that I think about it. granted, I've had to replace chains and tires a couple of times, but that's a piece of cake.

Most of the leases in my complex (and neighborhood) expire within the next week, so people are getting desperate to clear out their apartments. we'll see what I find today.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:44:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By Tim_the_enchanter:
Nothing but dead hookers around here.

Haven't found dead hookers (fortunately/unfortunately) but I have in my travels walking around here found more than a couple of people who were passed out stone cold besides buildings from overdrinking. (my thought is usallly find some more trustworthy friends to drink with or don't go out and drink jackass). I usually just check to make sure they're breathing and move on.

Interesting times those experiences are.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:46:15 AM EST
Take one of those sofas to the range, pop a few holes in it, pour some fake blood on it and put it back by the dumpster.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:50:58 AM EST
MAN ......

I have completely outfitted a couple of apartments from dumpster diving. Hell the only thing I bought myself was the boxspring and mattress... but the bed frams, headboard, footboard .... came from the dumpster. Ive had washer and dryers, tv's, microwaves that needed a 5 dollar part.

I would get shit that looked better than the shit I had already so Id grab it then take back whatever it replaced.

My dad used to be a maintenance man at many apartment complex's and I would just tell him what I was looking for and tell him to keep his eyes open.

He broght me 2 cases of 12gauge shells one day, he has found ammo, and an old broken Glenfield 60 that he gave me as well.

He would tell me if they had an eviction coming up becuase they have to simply take everything out of the apartment and put it on the street .... now at that point if the original owner is there they can guard it .... but once it hits the street its game on .... if you want it ... take it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:57:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 6:59:28 AM EST by Goodn]
Do it every other weekend or so here, it never fails to yield if you know where to look, and when you have a buddy that manages apartments and other property's, that makes it better, he knows who's moving and who has skipped. I have found just in the past couple months, two working (software issues) laptops, one Panasonic Toughbook, and one IBM Lenovo, Floor standing and perfect working and looking JBL speakers,
Nice Minolta Bellows lens with most of the accessories, Dell Optiplex 3 gig desktop, Canon Powershot sd750 digicam pulled lens trim ring and removed the lens shutter, works like new (Bad lens protector shutters). Stereo receivers Dvd players and on and on. We have also gone out on cleanup days here, collected all the electronics we could find, tested, fixed and cleaned them up and sold them, our garage sale last year we made over 1300 dollars on cleanup stuff, and spent maybe 70 bucks on gas!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:00:32 AM EST
A buddy of mine (and arfcommer) is a campus cop at a local college. We both take off the day after moveout day in the spring and find some amazing stuff.
Top Top