Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/3/2008 1:02:15 PM EDT
Ok i just got a insurance settlement and im looking at buying a duece thats on 52's its no longer a 6x6 they took one of the rear axles off

heres what im wondering

it currently has a new jersey title (so i assume its legal there but i live in florida)

is it legal to drive on the street im getting it mainly for trails and just a play toy

but i would like to be able to drive it on the street.

is there a special title or anything i need to do this

also anyone know how much insurance is?

im curious because the lift laws in florida and this greatly exceeds them by like 15-20 inches
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
will not be daily driving this  i go wheelin like once a week
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I think Tank_Driver(sp) is our resident military vehicle expert.  Instan  Message him.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I dropped a deuce and a half this morning.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
heres a pick of it

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#6]
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------134thSIGNAL
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I dropped a deuce and a half this morning.

That's what I was thinking this thread was about and I clicked on it anyway...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
heres a pick of it

i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/F3RR3T_01/e833_3.jpg

If Florida has bumper height requirements, you're screwed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
heres a pick of it

Don't know about the old trucks...

But on the new ones (LMTV/FMTV) a 2.5ton is a 4x4, and a 5ton is a 6x6
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#10]
That thing is bad!
I can't answer any of your questions but I have a few.
Any idea what the motor and drive train are?
Are the axles locked and what gears?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
heres a pick of it

Wow, I thought it would look like ass.  Y'know, like a barrel that got a dremel fluting job.  That's actually pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
heres a pick of it

It does.

And he won't be screwed with too badly if he minds his P's and Q's, for the most part. I know a couple guys who have shit jacked up almost that tall that manage to not catch equipment violations because they don't act like jackasses on the road. There's always the chance of the asshole cop, but it's few and far between for lifted trucks.

(Of course, the OP could just fashion some removable 'impact bars' and be GTG.)
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
heres a pick of it

Don't know about the old trucks...

But on the new ones (LMTV/FMTV) a 2.5ton is a 4x4, and a 5ton is a 6x6

hmm idk
has a 6 cylinder multi fuel turbo diesel

aspose to run on
diesel
gas
propane
alchohal
ethanol
vodka if needed
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
heres a pick of it

That.

Is.

AWESOME.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
heres a pick of it

It does.

And he won't be screwed with too badly if he minds his P's and Q's, for the most part. I know a couple guys who have shit jacked up almost that tall that manage to not catch equipment violations because they don't act like jackasses on the road. There's always the chance of the asshole cop, but it's few and far between for lifted trucks.

That is the way to go.  That truck is awsome.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
heres a pick of it

It does.

It also depends on the GVW of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
heres a pick of it

It does.

It also depends on the GVW of the vehicle.

im curious what it is lol
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmmmmm, NJ huh, I live in NY and can get there to pick it up before you.....

My wife would kill me but she's have to catch me first.

Nice looking truck, enjoy.

I've got no clue on the legal aspect of it though, sorry.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#19]
When you said they removed one of the rear axles I was thinking WTF? But that thing looks Bad-Ass. I'd buy it and say fuck the Law....
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
When you said they removed one of the rear axles I was thinking WTF? But that thing looks Bad-Ass. I'd buy it and say fuck the Law....

It may be different with Rockwells, but i've always been told to stay far away from front axle lift blocks even more so if you are gonna wheel it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
Ok i just got a insurance settlement and im looking at buying a duece thats on 52's its no longer a 6x6 they took one of the rear axles off

heres what im wondering

it currently has a new jersey title (so i assume its legal there but i live in florida)

is it legal to drive on the street im getting it mainly for trails and just a play toy

im curious because the lift laws in florida and this greatly exceeds them by like 15-20 inches

Most states have allowances for ex military/antique vehicles.  Both of these options will be worth your time investigating farther.  Firstly, see if you can get it registered as an antique.  The registration and insurance will be less.  Because it's been modified I doubt you can go the ex mil route.

The other method is strait privately owned commercial vehicle but the taxes & insurance will kill you.

ML Gray
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It may be different with Rockwells, but i've always been told to stay far away from front axle lift blocks even more so if you are gonna wheel it.

thats getting changed
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats getting changed

Thats good to hear.

Check out www.pirate4x4.com. its the arf.com of the offroad world
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats getting changed

Thats good to hear.

Check out www.pirate4x4.com. its the arf.com of the offroad world

i asked there what abunch of assholes
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds about right for them but they do have a lot of good advice if you get thru the bullshit and assholes... kind of like here
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Sounds about right for them but they do have a lot of good advice if you get thru the bullshit and assholes... kind of like here

23 respones there nothing useful
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Just about every volunteer fire department in Texas has at least 1 duece and a half for use as a grass fire truck.

There are many of them in use by individuals on the roads around here too. They are a pretty good truck but I wouldn't remove one of the axles.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#28]
dmv was no help when i called earlier

i quess i need to find a way to get this thing where i can use it on the street

how about a agriculture one of them triangles u see on tractors?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Coolest Deuce auction

i10.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/f0/3d/2122_12.JPG
I remember when the Army went with super singles on the 5-tons,the bitching was louder than a Gamma Goat at full throttle.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Here in MO. I would contact the  State Highway Patrol for answers as they are the ones doing the inspections for special construction vehicles < home built>
hth
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#31]
maybe ill pass and just get a 6x6 do my own lift on like 39's or 42's
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
maybe ill pass and just get a 6x6 do my own lift on like 39's or 42's

the more i think about that the more i want this one but its 9500.00

and a 6x6 in true military form is 4500
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#33]
The truck version is KICK-FUCKING- ASS!!!!

I live less then a mile from a LARGE Army surplus store and they have a deuce up front for sale. Man I want one of these!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

heres what im wondering

IIRC people who convert to single axle so there's no endorsement on drivers license needed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

heres what im wondering

IIRC people who convert to single axle so there's no endorsement on drivers license needed.

hmm didnt know that
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#37]
A stock deuce is a slow, cumbersome, shitty-to-drive, rolling turd.  You do not want somebody's lifted, altered POS project truck.

You will be sorry.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#38]
You want the Mog!

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Now THAT'S a pick up truck. I think you are clear on the FL Title; I've seen Deuces registered for public roads.

If you get the title cleared; get a license plate that says FUAROCK, so we'll know.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
A stock deuce is a slow, cumbersome, shitty-to-drive, rolling turd.  You do not want somebody's lifted, altered POS project truck.

You will be sorry.

Thats exactly what I thought.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Now THAT'S a pick up truck. I think you are clear on the FL Title; I've seen Deuces registered for public roads.

If you get the title cleared; get a license plate that says FUAROCK, so we'll know.

ALREADY GOT A PLATE
WAS-HERS

ive seen was his so....
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

23 respones there nothing useful

Better than 23 pages and no useful info like here....

- Clint
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I drove a 6X6 here in Tenn for about 10 years. I had a 1953 GMC. Never had any problems with the Police. It was insured as a 53 GMC stakeside tru and ran antique plates on it.

The truck you pictured is popular conversion for a 6X6. The bed on it was originally from a 1-1/2 ton trailer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#45]
That is one sweet truck!  

Back in the day, I occasionally had reason to drive a deuce and a half or a five ton.  The five ton was much easier to drive because it had power steering.  God...that was a long time ago!  

Never failed to amaze me that when we were doing the convoy thing on an interstate, some crazy people would cut us off...like we could stop on a dime...loaded with heavy military shit in the back!  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm pretty sure 19.5/44s are the biggest you can go and stay street legal in FL.

Nice looking rig, though. Me likey!

Edit: Wish I could afford a deuce and half. I'd drive the fuck out of it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

heres what im wondering

is it legal to drive on the street im getting it mainly for trails and just a play toy Yesbut i would like to be able to drive it on the street.

is there a special title or anything i need to do this If it does not have air brakes you are G2Galso anyone know how much insurance is? hell if I know

I have seem some trucks I could walk under. I am not awere of any lift law. In fact I drive a Explorer with 5.5" of lift and 33's I was in traffic with a F350 jacked up so high his winch was eye level and his lights were higher. There are a few CTX dealers around and they are big bitches

Here one I found in town, he drives it around.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#49]
The ARFCOM of military vehicles.

Steel Soldiers

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#50]
no I want the mog how much????

Quoted:
You want the Mog!

img.alibaba.com/photo/11845813/Mecedes_Benz_Unimog_U1300l_Custom_Automobile.jpg
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top