Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/18/2012 2:09:48 PM EST
How long should I wait (days) after a workout to drink alcohol and not effect the repair and growth of my muscles?

My Buddy is having his 30th birthday mid December and I know we are going out to drink (probably heavily).
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:16:46 PM EST
Alcohol inhibits protein synthesis in the body. If drinking is 'rare' for you, it wont really make that much of a difference. At worst, skip a day at the gym.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:25:28 PM EST
Expect major DOMS if you tie one on real good.

I drank the ocean dry and it didn't kill me back when I didn't work out so I don't really worry about mild drinking no that I do.

Go get sloshed and come back with a range report
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:29:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/18/2012 2:29:39 PM EST by RatherBeLifting]
Arnold: "Milk is for babies. Beer is for men."

Thus sayeth the prophet.

Go forth and drink some more.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:34:57 PM EST
Couple of beers wont hurt you. Just dont get smashed after a workout.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:31:42 AM EST
I'll sip bourbon between weight sets, FWIW. Not get drunk but just a little.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:00:21 AM EST
Alchohol Inhibits Muscle Growth regardless of when you drink it.....Having said that, drinking sparingly and not to get slammered is OK.....just depends on how Anal you are about it....I used to be a couple of beers a week kinda dude, now I just dont drink....period.....well.....mostly

Ill give you some reasons, You can look into this if you want, please dont ask me to provide proof....im too lazy....but it is true, and scientifically proven....so YOU look it up if you are so inclined.

1. Dehydration.....Saturated muscles grow better than dry. Consuming alcohol dehydrates muscle tissue resulting in a weakened anabolic environment.
2. Reduced Protein Synthesis.....decreases with alcohol consumption.
3. Decreased Testosterone.......research conducted in the past 25 years in humans (and animals) has found that alcohol inhibits testosterone secretion.
4. This needs absolutely no explanation Hangover (Ineffective workouts = less than optimal muscle stimulation = a waste of time)
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:56:59 PM EST
Its a birthday party don't worry about it. Do it and then get back into your usual routine. One night of getting hammered is not going to horrible damage your gains.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:10:13 AM EST
I drink three or four beers maybe twice a week. I have not noticed any real impact on muscle growth, but I wouldnt really know.

I otherwise eat quite healthfully so i dont really care. I love IPA's, not gonna give them up in the name of being extremely fit or any other pipe dream
Top Top