Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2001 6:42:16 PM EDT
or diesel fuel??

i know it can be done, and want to get into it.

to hell with the high gas prices.....
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Diesels will run on used cooking oil from restaurants.  It's mostly soybean oil, and makes your machine smell like French fries.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, but how can i process it, ehat do i need to do to process it, what materials do i need to get, and whare do i get them??????????

i am seriouse, i wont give them the satisfaction of forcing me into bipedal transportation. (meaning walking to work)
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Muhahaha....Now I can tell OPEC were
they can put their oil.
Hmmmm....maybe I should see if it works/is legal
first.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Diesels will run on used cooking oil from restaurants.  It's mostly soybean oil, and makes your machine smell like French fries.
View Quote

Best start eating ALOT of french fries
and onion rings,that oil woul'nt go far.
Have you ever though of one of those
electric cars?
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#6]
i finally found something...
[url]http://www.kelseyville.com/biodsl/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Refining crude oil is a very complicated and EXPENSIVE process.  To achieve financial solvency, even a small refinery would cost millions.  The aromatic fuels you desire are only one fifth of the typical plants output, so you have to enter the distribution market to sell off the 'by-products' you don't need.  More complication.

Yes, you can build you own home grown gear but the cost in energy to 'crack' crude will NEVER make it a viable home remedy.  With electricy costs going to double or triple here shortly, there is not a cheap energy source for the cracking process.  Its a catch-22 situation for the small guy.  Even small refineries or synthetitc fuels plants have to be very efficient in order to be cost effective.

One last thing, petro-chemical enegineers with this skill are hinding under every rock!   NOT!  So finding one to help you may cost you and I'm not aware of any 'Mother Earth News" publication with articles on how to take home stuff from the dump and make your own syn-fuels.

FWIW....Geno

P.S. I share you concern on energy prices, especially after doing a $36 fill-up tonight, the first ever for my 8 year old truck! Wow.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Synthetic Oil = Synthetic Gas![:E]

Sorry...couldn't help it.

Paul
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#10]
As much as I love 454 Chevelles and such, I can't afford enough gas even for a Geo Metro. Solar panels today are ~18 percent efficient- if that were to be increased to ~85 percent, the worlds energy problems would be solved. I know that's random but I just did a physics project on solar panels.

radioman
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe you can make your own alcohol and what's left over you can drink. :)
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a bike! [;D]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#13]
What is this... Bartertown?  next thing ya know he'll be running his house on pig shit!  

"Who Runs Bartertown?  Masterblaster runs Bartertown!"
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#14]
What, EXACTLY, is necessary to adjust/replace on your Diesel Car/Truck so you can use old vegi oil.
I have heard if p[eople doing it but they never got into what they did to their engines.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#15]
according to wahts on this web site
[url]www.kelseyville.com/biodsl/ [/url]
it can bo done relatively efficiently, in perhapse 55 or 100 gallon intervals.

and you can get oil from yore local fast food resturaunts (they pay to have it removed)

there should be no changes made to any diesel to accomadate this..
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#17]
My Grandpa converted his truck to propane and had the tank mounted just behind the cab.  Don't even ask me how because I was pretty young then and didn't know much more than how to tie my shoes and dump cattle cubes off the tailgate.

Propane prices went up and he bought a diesel.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Beans are good, fresh fruit, veggies . . . [moon]

(200 posts and heading toward Senior Member!)
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#19]
The M1 Abrams runs on anything.  The secret is that it is turbine powered.  There actually was a car a few decades back that was also turbine powered.  The bad thing is that you need to build the RPMs before any significant power is produced.  Also lousy mileage. But the M1 makes around 1500hp and can propel a 67ton tank to 40+ miles an hour. 1.5 or so miles per gallon on whatever.  Dif fuels have dif efficienies.  The other thing you can do is have the turbine turns a generator and have batteries and a electric drive mototr.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What, EXACTLY, is necessary to adjust/replace on your Diesel Car/Truck so you can use old vegi oil.
I have heard if p[eople doing it but they never got into what they did to their engines.

BISHOP
View Quote

Nothing. dump it the fuel tank and drive.  It's a little goooey in cold weather, mix it with kerosene.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top