Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/29/2003 10:04:48 AM EDT
I love going out at night and using my frog spear and flashlight to catch bull frogs in irrigation ditches at night, they make a fine meal! I dont just eat the legs, I use the arms and back as well, sometimes i fry the meat like fish & chips, sometimes I cook it with salted black bean sauce with rice, sometimes I strir fry it and finish cooking it over the rice, kind of like a pilaf. Frogs and Crawfish are very good eating.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:08:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:10:49 AM EDT
Frog legs & Craw Fish is good eatin'
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:13:06 AM EDT
Frog legs are one tasty meal tastes like chicken
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:18:54 AM EDT
I haven't had froglegs in a while, but they are some of the best eatn'!! When I was a kid, we had several "good frog ponds" on our place. My friends and I used to take an old potatoe sack and almost fill it up. Those were the days, no McDonalds, or fast food. Just good clean eatn'
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:49:24 AM EDT
yum! 32 more days 'till we can harvest them in Missouri--can't wait!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:14:17 AM EDT
As a kid I always went to my Grampa's during summer vacations and we would spend the days fishing and spearing frogs. To me, there won't ever be anything tastier than a mess of fried frog legs, bluegills, fresh morel mushrooms and fresh blueberries for desert. I sure do miss those days.... Damn I'm getting old.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:20:25 PM EDT
Ubetcha. I have a nice frog pond down in the bottom about 50 yards from our bedroom window. All night long, even with the windows closed, you can hear those fat bulls down there croaking. I enjoyed listening to them from the front deck a couple weeks ago while watching the moon eclipse. They were really cutting up that night. Gotta get down there and thin em out a bit before long. As a kid, Dad and I used to slay em in all the local ponds around here. I'll never forget one night we were using a plastic grocery bag to put the frogs in. We had made one lap around the pond, gigging a dozen or so and placing them in the grocery bag I was carrying. On the second lap around, after turning the light off and giving them time to settle down back out on the banks of the pond, we proceeded to get back to spotting them. Dad gigged another one, and reached out the gig toward me to take the frog off and put in the sack. I noticed it was bleeding from holes that this particular gig attempt didn't create. Being 10 years old, I didn't think much of it, and dropped it in the bag with the others. After taking a few more off the gig, which showed the same characteristics, it dawned on me what was taking place. The damn bag had a hole it! I swear we gigged one frog and put it in the bag three times. Dad got kinda got ticked at me for not noticing the hole, but we have a good laugh about it 25 years later. Cope
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:21:49 PM EDT
Yep I used to go gigging and more often shooting for Bull frogs, YUMMY! I've also caught a bunck of crawfish in streams and eaten them, Mmmm, mini freshwater lobster/shrimp thingies.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:35:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kevf7: Frog legs & Craw Fish is good eatin'
View Quote
You got that right! The family tree shows a bunch of Scottish, English, and German, but I do believe there is a good smidgen of Coonass in there somewhere too!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:37:59 PM EDT
I you find stuff laying around it ain't human food.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:48:28 PM EDT
I don't eat frogs, but I play baseball with them all the time.[;D]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:21:26 PM EDT
Yup! We also used to go "coonin'" for snappers too, BAREFOOT! AB
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:27:59 PM EDT
Has anyone noticed a dramatic decline in the frog population. Last year I got all my gigging gear and went out and all the ponds were empty even the deep water lillys were barren. Someone said the lack of the ozone layer is decimating the amphibian ecosystem. Anyone find the same thing??
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:36:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Robertesq1: Has anyone noticed a dramatic decline in the frog population. Last year I got all my gigging gear and went out and all the ponds were empty even the deep water lillys were barren. Someone said the lack of the ozone layer is decimating the amphibian ecosystem. Anyone find the same thing??
View Quote
No. The frog population is thriving around here. What I have noticed over the years is the complete disappearance of water snails and crawdads in the creek that runs through our property. Cope
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:44:15 PM EDT
Has anyone noticed a dramatic decline in the frog population. Last year I got all my gigging gear and went out and all the ponds were empty even the deep water lillys were barren. Someone said the lack of the ozone layer is decimating the amphibian ecosystem. Anyone find the same thing??
View Quote
yes i have. i live in a heavily farmed area. all the chemicals the farmers use wash down into the creeks and ponds. the frogs are always the first thing to go. when i get away from the farmers (just outside of town) there are bucket fulls of them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:02:55 PM EDT
Where do you get big frogs in PA? All the ones I see are tops 3" long in the body. I like frog legs also and always wanted to spear my own.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:44:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Valkyrie: Where do you get big frogs in PA? All the ones I see are tops 3" long in the body. I like frog legs also and always wanted to spear my own.
View Quote
try Chinatown in Philladelphia, they should have some live bull frogs for sale! asian markets in California sell live bull frogs in the fish market, they have some pretty good sized frogs too. if you like snails they have those too [:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:56:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:00:18 PM EDT
if they taste like chicken, they why not just eat chicken.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:05:33 PM EDT
The only thing I dislike about frog legs is the fact that they are readily identifiable [b]AS[/b] frog legs...
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:13:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:20:08 AM EDT
Don't forget to put a lid on the frying pan. Otherwise, you will be chasing froglegs all over the kitchen.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:26:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Robertesq1: Has anyone noticed a dramatic decline in the frog population. Last year I got all my gigging gear and went out and all the ponds were empty even the deep water lillys were barren. Someone said the lack of the ozone layer is decimating the amphibian ecosystem. Anyone find the same thing??
View Quote
The local swamp has been polluted by oil wells, and the frog population has dropped dramatically, and the ones around are small in my area.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:27:07 AM EDT
Frog legs are mega yummy. I like them deepfried with some mustard-based BBQ sauce.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:13:45 AM EDT
yeah.. it's a trip to gig em.. have to contend with the Gators too. baby gators will just lay there. big gators will submerge before you get within 75 feet. You can easily distinguish the difference between the gators and the frogs from the eye color. a good way to get those frogs out of reach (like past a log etc..) is I use my scuba spear gun with a 3 barb scew on gig. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:31:27 AM EDT
I can only visualize those poor legless frogs in those tiny wheelchairs...
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:49:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:49:13 PM EDT
I tried frog legs for the first time last summer while visiting my uncle's place in northern Kali. Wow! They were great. He cooked 'em in a large deep fryer as I recall. Kevin
Top Top