Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 10:58:32 AM EDT
I really never liked shaking hands especially with strangers, would it be rude to just use a verbal greeting without shaking hands? and a smile.

if you tried to shake hands and the other person wouldnt extend their hand, would you be offended?

for doing business deals a hand shake would be acceptable, but for casual everyday meeting people, I prefer not to make any physical contact, just a smile and a hello.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer to shake hands.  

A handshake tells a lot about a man.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you have germ-a-phobia?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't care ... as long as I get a FUCKING BUSINESS CARD!!!!

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I prefer to shake hands.  

+1

I'm big on personal space and all, but how a person shakes your hand says a lot about them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Shaking hands is a very manly thing to do.

So, of course, I do!

Besides, I'm a Mason!

We love to shake hands!

Eric The(Eternal)Hun
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I always prefer to go with the good old Romulan chest thump/roman salute unless the person is "an outsider", in which case I go with the "Conan wrist grab".
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Men shake hands.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Meeting friends - no hand shake, just hello nice to meet you.

My wife’s very large family which we see most of them maybe once a year - hand shake.

Meeting farmers, private woodland owners, customers, - always a hand shake, most of them would be offended if you did not extend your hand.  Gloves no gloves, dirty hands it doesn't mater they always like to shake hands.

I personally would not be offended if someone did not what to shake my hand.

Goose
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#9]
shaking hands can have different meanings

like a show of respect to a person of high status or older person [CEO, president, grandfather, etc]

or could also be for thanking somebody that helped you and showing your appreciation

it depends on the situation
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I would be slightly insulted if they did not give a reason. Just common courtesy and manners. Plus someone that will not shake my hand or look me in the eye raises my suspicions.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm thinking a bird flu pandemic and we might go back to the slight bow from the waist. I read once that George Washington wasn't too keen on the handshake which IIRC was coming into style at the time, replacing the bow. Thought it too familiar.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I only shake hands with Mr. Winky.

Seems to me like handshakes are such an awkward moment. You're never sure if you're supposed to do it or who you're supposed to do it with. You both look at eachother for a moment, wondering if that hand should come out. If you do it, and the person you're shaking hands with is with a female, then you move on to greet them and the awkwardness increases x10. Do you shake her hand, give that "fakey" greeting hug?

I prefer to just say nice to meet you and proceed to forget their name.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a handshake kinda guy.

I like a firm shake and that's how mine is but I HATE when guys treat it as a game of "try to overpower them in a handshake before they do".

It will go like this " Hello bla bla, good to see you" you extend your hand and before you can even get a grip they're already sqeezing your hand as hard as they can so that you can't even ekk out your own firm shake. They try to completely over power you like it's a game.

I always kinda frown when guys do this so they hopefully catch a clue.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Do I like shaking hands with people?

Frankly I would prefer to avoid them altogether.

If you are in a situation where you are not sure whether to shake hands, the general rule is: when in doubt, shake.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate when a customer extends for a handshake...I deal with filthy, smelly dirtbag contractors all day long.  I've seen too many walk through the door scratching thier nuts and ass...

If it's someone I know, or haven't seen in a long time, that's another story... But a complete stranger ? FORGET it...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I prefer to shake hands.  

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]
C'mon man!  Shake the hands....get you some germs....boost your immune system.

We're all doin' it!  

Get some.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I just taught some guy from India how to shake hands.  He has been here for five years.  Yesterday was the first time we met and he offered me the limp fish hand shakehingIMHO

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I shake alot of hands, business people always get a good shake, firm but not over powering and a look right in the eyes. Basically this means, one I am doing a character check and two it kinda lets them know this is business and not friends. I am not implying that I am unfriendly, it just sets a serious tone. I use the same hand shake when dealing with my wifes family, which are farmers and there friends.  When you get to know people better you can kinda cut the hand shake stuff.  Like really good friends that I have known all my life, I don't need to shake their hand. They know me and I know them for better or worse.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I just taught some guy from India how to shake hands.  He has been here for five years.  Yesterday was the first time we met and he offered me the limp fish hand shake.  I stopped everything right there and showed him how to grip someones hand.    A limp fish to me is just nancy boy.  Instant loss of respect.
IMHO

xbrazillion!

A limp fish handshake to me, just is plain wrong. I automatically feel different about the person. I have no idea how someone could have such a handshake
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top