Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 7:29:50 AM EDT
WTF... when i took my CCW class, both of my "instructors" tought this, and made anyone useing 1 in clase do the same..

ALL modern revolvers are safe enough to pound freaking nails with the hammers, and they cant go off...

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
And they're instructors? I'd be a little concerned...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]
How old were your instructors?   150 years?

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
50s or 60s, both cowboy action shooters...

they also both carryed 1911's not chambered... they said they didnt belive in cocked and locked, and ..

"the sound of me racking the gun is enough to solve most problems..."

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#4]
And anyone that agrees that better carry every semi-auto they have with an empty chamber as well, because it's the same dang principal.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#5]
what are "modern" revolvers?  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#6]

thats true
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#7]
My GFs old fart dad said, if it aint got a bullet in it you cant shoot it.

So not all the old farts thought the same.  He believed you just had to be vigilant and careful with guns.  Seems to make some sense to me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
what are "modern" revolvers?  

Ones that won't fire unless you pull the trigger.  On some there's a transfer bar that slides between the firing pin and the hammer so that the energy can be transfered from the hammer to the firing pin.  Others have bars that block the hammer from hitting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.  For years I remember seeing an old man that lived down the street from us fire an old revolver he had by hitting the hammer on the revolver with a hammer like you drive nails.  I believe his mainspring had broken since the hammer would flop around.  There obviously wasn't a safety on his revolver, and I would have carried that type without a round under the hammer.z
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Some people are fucking dense.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#10]
There is only one modern SA that can fire when dropped on the muzzle, that is one of the older Ruger SA Blackhawks(Ruger has a kit that they can install, but I think that will pretty much destoy its collector value).  But most modern revolvers have some sort of transfer bar safety to prevent firing when dropped on the muzzle.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

thats true

Not if someone wants to kill you… But it is a real good way to say "here I am, not ready, so shoot me".

Having to rack the slide is one unnecessary step to screw up in a high stress situation. If you cannot comfortable carry cocked and locked get a revolver…

But wait that won’t work either for the 2 chuckle headed instructors. I don't think I would take their advice.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Some people are fucking dense.

That pretty much sums up life on this here planet.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#13]
My Dad, but he's 87 and I'm not about to get him to change his ways.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#14]
If you'd rather have 5 shots then 6, then by all means carry on an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My Dad, but he's 87 and I'm not about to get him to change his ways.

He's 87?!?!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you'd rather have 5 shots then 6, then by all means carry on an empty chamber.

Most of the new ultra-lite revolvers are 5 shot to begin with... so you would only get 4 shots.

Bad advice from those to lazy to get into the 21st Century
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
50s or 60s, both cowboy action shooters...

they also both carryed 1911's not chambered... they said they didnt belive in cocked and locked, and ..

Just goes to show that there are a lot of "instructors" out there who really haven't the foggiest idea what they are talking about.

That is why you should endeavor to train with people who actually posess a clue.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#18]
My former boss was a retired Air Force guy and that's how he always kept his HD revolver.  I tried unsuccessfully to convince him it wasn't necessary & eventually gave up...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#19]
The CCW class I atended in KY taught this as well. They also taught not to carry a 1911 Cocked and Locked. The insructor said he did not necessarily agree with it, but he was required to teach it that way.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How about the ones who believe this bullshit and carry J frames?

They only have FOUR!

Hey, according to many around here, if you have a 5 shot .38 and a coach gun loaded with birdshot, you are ready for anything.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about the ones who believe this bullshit and carry J frames?

They only have FOUR!

Hey, according to many around here, if you have a 5 shot .38 and a coach gun loaded with birdshot, you are ready for anything.

NAW man... you got to have a 10/22 tooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats true

Not if someone wants to kill you… But it is a real good way to say "here I am, not ready, so shoot me".

Having to rack the slide is one unnecessary step to screw up in a high stress situation. If you cannot comfortable carry cocked and locked get a revolver…

But wait that won’t work either for the 2 chuckle headed instructors. I don't think I would take their advice.

Yeah I see one of two things: 1) You waste valuable time in a true life-threatening situation or 2) You are racking the slide to scare someone off in which case you may not be so justified in pulling a gun on them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

thats true

Sure, but so is pointing an already cocked and locked pistol at them. And if the motherfucker is really determined, I would MUCH rather have my weapon already loaded. My self defense plan doesn't include bluffing.

ETA: The other problem with this is that if you are in an altercation that does not meet the threshold for deadly force, and you draw and rack the slide, you may cause the other person to attack. Whereas that may have been avoided.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
There is only one modern SA that can fire when dropped on the muzzle, that is one of the older Ruger SA Blackhawks(Ruger has a kit that they can install, but I think that will pretty much destoy its collector value).  But most modern revolvers have some sort of transfer bar safety to prevent firing when dropped on the muzzle.

Do current Colt SAAs still have hammer mounted firing pins or not? I have wondered before....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#26]
You mean am I a carpenter with nails but no hammer?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The conversion doesn't hurt the value at all. It doesn't change a thing on the revolver and they give you all the original pieces back.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#28]
negative
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#29]
does anybody know anyone who carries a DAO revolver with the second chamber empty, so that the trigger would have to be pulled twice to be fired, with the first pull functioning as a manual safety?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#30]
My dad only puts five rounds in his Taurus double-action .357 Magnum, leaving the one under the hammer empty "for safety reasons".

I just go along with it to avoid putting up with any crap. As soon as he turns around, I've got a fully loaded gun.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I leave my autos at home on an empty chamber only because my daughter is too young to manipulate the slide.  My wife can barely do the 1911, cant rack the BHP .40 at all even with the hammer cocked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top