Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2009 1:35:32 PM EDT
Bueller?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps in some large cities.

Round here they have SRO's (School resource officers) who are full time sworn cops from whatever agency the schools fall in. They are typically assigned full time to the school. Their duties include the traditional truant officer duties to include checking off campus for students who snuck away early or during lunch and bringing them back.

In some large school districts, think high schools with 20,000 or more students, the school district may have its own actual police department.

In my small city of 33,000 residents there is only one high school. But it serves three cities and has over 8,000 students. Thats a larger population than my home town! They have one SRO assigned to the school.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Here (100,000+ population) we have "officers of the court" in the Justice of the Peace's office to review and ticket truants. The constable or sheriff will usually deliver the summons. There's also usually at least one city PD in the high schools and junior high.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#3]
When I went to high school in Long Beach, CA, the school district there would have truant officers, in cars that were so marked, patrolling residential areas, especially after the lunch hour.

(I was in an independent sport, so I was excused from PE and thereby got to leave school an hour early every day, so I saw them periodically but they never did stop me.)
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Where I live they are School Social Workers. They don't actually pick the kids up and take them back to school but they do build a case against the parents for not taking the responsibility to make their children go to school. The case can then be turned over to the district attorney for prosecution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top