Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2005 2:26:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:26:56 PM EDT

We couldn't do it if we wanted to - maybe some big-ass comet strike or something.

When the sun turns into a red giant, I guess it'll happen.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:29:26 PM EDT
Not even. Not even all humans.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:36:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2005 2:37:22 PM EDT by Zatu]
We might be able to destroy the entire land surface of the earth with nukes...maybe if it were contiguous. But with thousands and thousands of islands, especially spread out like the Pacific, it would take one for each island. But then there's still underground nuke-resistant bunkers buried under mountains with blast doors like 3 feet thick.

ETA: And then there's the oceans. Have fun trying to vaporize them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:45:37 PM EDT
Haven't you all heard the news?

According to all liberal pukes, man has already killed off all life on the planet through global warming, expanding human population, and hunting. It will just take a few more years for everyone to realize it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:49:02 PM EDT
I'm fairly certain that if enough people ingested enough curry, we could kill anything and everything.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:53:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By go3:
I'm fairly certain that if enough people ingested enough curry Kimchee , we could kill anything and everything.

Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:08:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sherrick13:
If we wanted to absolutely destroy all life on the Earth could it be done? Even all mammals?

I know if we set off every nuke we had evenly distributed it wouldn't do it. Hell in a few hundered years we would probably be back to the same population..

Not a chance in Hell.

Bigger forces than mankind have caused mass extinctions far larger than anything we could ever dream of causing, yet life keeps on ticking.

Geologically speaking, we aren't even an eyeblink. We're not even rated as highly as a cell on a bump on a gnat's ass. All of our nukes, SUVs, and styrofoam cheeseburger boxes combined wouldn't make a dent.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:15:14 PM EDT
Like Iain Malcolm said, "life....finds a way."
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:26:50 PM EDT
The Soviets once estimated it would take a 100,000 MT cobalt encrusted hydrogen bomb. One of their chief scientists then also theorized that even that would still not do the job, and that some organism would survive.

Now that we know about the weird stuff that lives near sea vents, that Soviet megatonnage estimate would probably need to be pushed upwards significantly to something that vaporizes the planet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:32:40 PM EDT
I have fated bad enough to clear a room. Times that by a gajillion and then maybe.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:36:11 PM EDT
Imagine the arrogance and or ignorance it must take for someone to say "We are the caretakers of the Earth."

Fucking libtards...

I was up at Exit glacier this summer, I pulled over at a scenic pull off to get out and stretch and enjow the view of the glacier. IT is smaller than it was, and has been shrinking. There was a photographer there who asked me a few questions, starting with "Do you live here?"

"Yes" I replied.
"Are you worried that the glacier is shrinking?"
"No"
"But it IS shrinking, and that is because of global warming"
"Yes, but if you notice, there are markers in the ground that show where it was in the 1700's, and it shrunk alot before the industrial revolution."
"But it is shrinking faster now. Doesn't that worry you?" - he began sounding urgent at this point

"Follow me here.....we are standing in a 12 mile long valley that was formed by glaciers, that connects with a 20 mile long fjord formed by glaceirs, ALL of which was filled with ice not too long ago. On top of that, that little blip of a glacier is fed by an icefield behind it that is larger than many states. On top of that there is geologic evidence for bunches of ice ages...I wonder what happens between them....hmm the ice melts because it does something....what could that be?...oh yea WARM UP!!"

"But but the glacier is still shrinking...and it is our fault."

I should have commented on the SUV he was driving. Fucktard.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:40:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:42:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By napalm:

If we wanted to absolutely destroy all life on the Earth could it be done? Even all mammals?

I know if we set off every nuke we had evenly distributed it wouldn't do it. Hell in a few hundered years we would probably be back to the same population..

Not a chance in Hell.

Bigger forces than mankind have caused mass extinctions far larger than anything we could ever dream of causing, yet life keeps on ticking.

Geologically speaking, we aren't even an eyeblink. We're not even rated as highly as a cell on a bump on a gnat's ass. All of our nukes, SUVs, and styrofoam cheeseburger boxes combined wouldn't make a dent.

In one respect you are correct. The extinction prior to the Cambrian almost eliminated all life on the planet.

However, neither that, nor the Yucatan or any other natural disaster so far had a radioactive by product. It is an unlikely event (I'd hope) but I think a complete nuclear exchange (in ohter words we popped the cap on all of them for the hell of it) might wipe out all mammals.

I don't think it would eliminate all life though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:51:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By captainpooby:
I have fated bad enough to clear a room. Times that by a gajillion and then maybe.

Holy crap that's what I was thinking. Except in America we spell it "farted."
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2005 4:17:56 PM EDT by bblake00]
You need one of these.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:59:24 PM EDT

See if making people smell the finger that you've got in that cats ass does the trick.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:02:48 PM EDT
All you have to do is drive an SUV, have you never heard a word Al Gore said?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:04:42 PM EDT
What if we blew up the moon?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:08:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
We couldn't do it if we wanted to - maybe some big-ass comet strike or something.

When the sun turns into a red giant, I guess it'll happen.

I cannot for the life of me remember where I heard this, it could be from some stupid movie for all I know, so be gentle with your replys..lol

What if every nuclear bomb on earth was detonated in the atmosphere? Would that come close to doing the job? I seem to remember hearing somewhere that would make the effect worse, but like I said I cant remember where I heard it from.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:14:01 PM EDT
We don't need to do anything the goverment will destroy everything soon enough.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:15:33 PM EDT
Practically impossible to destroy all life on earth. There are hot springs out in the mid-ocean area that support life, and good luck tracking down all those and nuking them.

Some ideas:

1. Biological war: invent something that destroys DNA. But I think this would wind up being biologically based itself.
2. Nukes. Surprisingly difficult.

Probably the best bet would be a gigantic, and I mean gigantic, asteroid strike, followed by glaciation.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:22:53 PM EDT
a collision with an object similar to the one that caused our moon formation would end life on Earth
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:31:34 PM EDT
If the gravitational field weakens at the poles,the solar winds would roast this planet!!

We would be as desolate as Mars!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:32:45 PM EDT
Humans can't do it. This freaking arrogance of "save the planet" makes me want to puke. All the nukes, all the guns, all the pollution in the world won't do it. They find cockroaches crawling around in the craters of nuclear explosions. Bees too. We could maybe wipe out mammals, but we ain't touching most of the insects, lizards, and certainly not most marine life.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:34:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bobbyjack:
If the gravitational field weakens at the poles,the solar winds would roast this planet!!

Bob

Yeah, but can MAN cause that?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:39:41 PM EDT
Grey Goo!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:54:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 6:55:51 AM EDT by SteyrAUG]

Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:

That would be bad.

Anyone who wants some factual answers to these questions might wanna read this...

The Life and Death of Planet Earth : How the New Science of Astrobiology Charts the Ultimate Fate of Our World

$10.20 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:59:41 AM EDT
I'm more worried about a mad scientist or terrorist developing a biological weapon that wipes us all out...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:05:16 AM EDT
Michael Critchton went into this in his book "Jurassic Park". He basically said that even if you detonated nukes that covered the entire planet somehow something would live and life would continue. Of course it wouldn't be life as we knew it, but man could not destroy the Earth.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:16:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:

Now you're on the right track. Boom and then all the little pieces get pulled in by Earth's gravity.

You don't even need to blow it up. Just mess with its orbit. Either slow it down a bit, blow off a big piece (like 5-10% of the mass) or push a enough large asterions into to make it too heavy for its current orbit.

You don't have to destroy the whole planet, just everything in the water and everything within 100 feet of the surface of the land.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:18:44 AM EDT

Elect Bush.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:20:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 7:27:16 AM EDT by theliberating1]

someone needs to go back and read his physics and biology books... the ammount of radiation released in a full exchange will kill everything on the face of this earth. Yeah, some bacteria may still live in cracks hundreds of feet deep in rocks and some critters at the bottom of the ocean may live for a while... but you are talking about the ultimate salting of the earth. Humans would be gone forever... all mamals would be gone forever... all birds would be gone forever... all reptiles would be gone forever... Life as "we know it" would never come back.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:23:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:
However, neither that, nor the Yucatan or any other natural disaster so far had a radioactive by product. It is an unlikely event (I'd hope) but I think a complete nuclear exchange (in ohter words we popped the cap on all of them for the hell of it) might wipe out all mammals.

ding ding ding.... logic and reason speaks!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:25:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By theliberating1:

someone needs to go back and read his physics and biology books...

Hey, the guy's an optimist.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:25:44 AM EDT

YOu are overly optimistic. What do you base your optimistic outlook on? I think every nuke would drop us down to a fraction of the population, and certainly nothing that we would bounce back from any time soon.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:27:51 AM EDT
Make a hyper-space bypass, of course.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:30:08 AM EDT

under mountains with blast doors like 3 feet thick.

More like 10-15 feet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:32:20 AM EDT

Probably the best bet would be a gigantic, and I mean gigantic, asteroid strike, followed by glaciation.

Mammals in the ocean would be fine.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:32:40 AM EDT
Come on guys... We all know that we can blow up th earth with an Illudium PU36 Explosive Space Modulator.

From the moon to boot!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:37:41 AM EDT
here is a different idea - could repetitive strikes to the same point evenutally crack us open? Seams to me that if you wanted to destroy everything, that would be the easiest.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:53:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 7:53:40 AM EDT by gus]

Originally Posted By Valkyrie:
Come on guys... We all know that we can blow up th earth with an Illudium PU36 Explosive Space Modulator.

From the moon to boot!

Where's the Earth shattering kaboom!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:32:21 AM EDT

someone needs to go back and read his physics and biology books... the ammount of radiation released in a full exchange will kill everything on the face of this earth. Yeah, some bacteria may still live in cracks hundreds of feet deep in rocks and some critters at the bottom of the ocean may live for a while... but you are talking about the ultimate salting of the earth. Humans would be gone forever... all mamals would be gone forever... all birds would be gone forever... all reptiles would be gone forever... Life as "we know it" would never come back.

What "physics and biology books.." Have you been reading???? Your assumption is factually incorrect.
It wouldn't even kill every human, much less every mammal. Birds, Reptiles? You are smoking crack. You need to travel more and see how big this world really is.

That said, I hope we never find out which of us is right.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:47:21 AM EDT
I think the best way would be to poison the ocean. Not only the fact that it provides a HUGE amount of food for a good portion of the planets population, but IIRC the plankton gives off like 90% of the worlds oxygen supply. It wouldn't kill bacteria, but I think it would eventually kill most life on the planet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:54:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 8:55:11 AM EDT by theliberating1]

Originally Posted By BillofRights:

What "physics and biology books.." Have you been reading???? Your assumption is factually incorrect.
It wouldn't even kill every human, much less every mammal. Birds, Reptiles? You are smoking crack. You need already have to travel more and see how big small this world really is.

That said, I hope we never find out which of us is right. Me too

radiation kills... plain and simple.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:13:34 AM EDT

It wouldn't even kill every human, much less every mammal. Birds, Reptiles? You are smoking crack. You need already have to travel more and see how big small this world really is.

Oh, OK Thanks for clearing that up

Hope you can get your money back on all those "physics and biology books.." you have been reading.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:23:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Valkyrie:

From the moon to boot!

Yeah, but there is only one who is professional enough to use it!

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:35:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:03:02 AM EDT

An the atmosphere is very good at disipating radiation. Plus the Earth is a very good filter of radiological effects. Look at Hiroshima and Nagasaki today. Hell look at them in 1965, just 20 years after the boom.

And thte trinity site is pretty safe today too. However those were weapons in the kiloton range.

Megaton is a different story, especially hypothetical totally committed exchange.

And it need not make life uninhabitable to 20 years. If there was no place to sustain life for even 6 months that would be the end of our species and most species on the planet.

I'm not sure what is in the current inventory today after recent disarmaments but a full commitment exchange would probably still be a bad day.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:03:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bobbyjack:
If the gravitational field Magnetic field weakens at the poles,the solar winds would roast this planet!!

Bob

The magnetic field of the Earth deflects the charged particles of cosmic rays.

Even if that went away, life would still go on. The Earth's magnetic field periotically over eons weakens, and strengthens. Some think it even goes away entirely at times. We have also discovered that the magnetic field has reversed itself several times and the North magnetic pole became the South and so on.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:24:10 AM EDT

Oh, OK Thanks for clearing that up

Hope you can get your money back on all those "physics and biology books.." you have been reading.

Setting off all the nuclear bombs in our arsenals would not even come close to killing all mammals, and would do nothing to blue ocean fish life, etc. We don't even have enough nukes to hit all big cities in the world, much less isolated villages, hamlets, valleys, etc. LOTS of humans would survive a full-out nuclear exchange, as would plenty of animals.

Plus, while many animals undoubtedly would be killed by the radiation, it would just accelerate evolution for others, taking different paths. There are lots of animals that are paricularly resistant to radiation (mostly in the insect world), and a heavy increase in radiaion levels would merely serve to select such variations among other species as well.

To suggest that using all existing nuclear weapons to evern come close to killing all life on the planet is completely ridiculous and uninformed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top