Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2001 4:22:28 PM EDT
I shot my DE .44 today for the first time and the first three rounds ejected but the slide locked open. On the fourth round it cycled fine but the emty case came back and hit me right between the eyes. I quit after that because I didn't have any shooting glasses. Would hotter loads help? Any suggestions?

THANKS!!

Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Always wear eye protection, I've been hit with various flying objects at the range. When they used to let people shoot hollowpoints at indoor ranges, I used to get hit with jacket and slug fragments all the time. If these sharp fragments would of hit me in the eye, I probably would be partially blind now. There are also tiny flecks of brass, lube and hot gas to watch out for too.

Make sure that you have a good "push/pull" capture grip on the DE. Especially on the last round, where the slides mass will produce extra recoil when it locks back. As long as the ammo is comprised of halfway decent JHP's, you shouldn't have any problems. No cheapo undercharged .44's, or unjacketed bullets.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If your right handed be careful that you thumb doesn't touch the slide lock, just a little upwards preasure will engage it and lock the slide back.  And if your shooting two handed don't put any presure on the mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top