Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 10:17:10 AM EDT
Why do you guys still mess around with probes and little mirrors when you could rig up a tiny camera at the end of a stick and use that to look at peoples' teeth?

How bad does this cavity (is that a cavity?) look?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#1]
What the hell are you going online to ask dentists a question for? They're all busy with their patients.

OOPS. It's Friday. They're closed. At least here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#2]
have you had any x-rays lately
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
have you had any x-rays lately

I haven't been to a real dentist in like 16 years.

A few weeks ago I went in for an exam with a friend of a friend who is looking for people to use in her final exam for dental school. She didn't find enough problems of the kind she needs for her test, but did find a couple of cavities and said I should get them fixed asap.

I'm probably going to make an appointment soon.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
mine uses a digital video camera will a wall mounted tv and digital printer. kind freaky the last root canal i had i could watch him working/drilling on tv while he did it.

Cool ... that's what I was thinking they should be doing.

I guess the dental school I went to for the exam didn't provide that sort of stuff for their students.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
mine uses a digital video camera will a wall mounted tv and digital printer. kind freaky the last root canal i had i could watch him working/drilling on tv while he did it.

I'd rather watch my own vasectomy.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

did you get a IV with a scantilly clad assistant too?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I did not go to the dentist for like 15 years, finally broke down and went last year. After a thorough cleaning, I was found to have a minor cavity. After gettting gassed it was filled (guess why I hadn't been for 15 years?) with no problem.

I did have a lot of tartar at the base of my lower front teeth, on the interior side though, the tech said there are two saliva glands right there and they cause the buildup on the teeth. The tech recommended I come at least for yearly cleanings...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a fucking scam...

I didn't go for 4-5 years (I hated my old dentist, love my new one) and finally go conned by a friend who works for a dentist.

I go, nothing wrong, zero, nil, everything is dandy. Go back for a 6mo cleaning: "You have two cavities."

Wait a minuted, I didn't come for 4-5 years, I pitch up and everything is great... I come back 6mo later and now I have to cavities ? What did you put in the cleaning solution, what really came out of the X-ray machine. Hoodlums.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]
When I transfered from OKC to LAX I met up with a totaly different type of people,I was in the mens bath room takeing a piss while a long single hanging bulb(no covering)touched my forhead!!

I remarked damn that thing burned my head,the guy next to me said oh yeah reached up grabbed the bulb(didn't unscrew it)just yanked it out of the socket and began to eat it!

Freaked the shit out of me!!!

We were in the theme building at LAX for a meeting of personell of AA lines!

I then realized that there were some crazy people that I would have to  work with!

I then fell into thier group as they were from geo,ala,miss,and southern states!

They taught me to eat glass,real hard on your teeth!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Do you complain about medical costs? Mirrors SAVE you money.

I'd rather have better quality care even if it costs a little more. And I can't imagine a camera rig like that costing more than 1-2000 bucks.

It seems like they could do a better job with a little TV camera on a stick type device like beerslayer mentioned. Bright lights and a big TV screen to let them know they got all of the decay out before capping the tooth with a filling, etc. I don't know if it would make a difference or not, hence the thread asking dentists.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#13]
My dentist uses a camera and screen that I can see the problem areas.  I was impressed as this town does not seem to be on the cutting edge of technology.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]
You can use a mirror to reflect the light into the area you are working as it is not always easy to get the light right where you want without a mirror.  Also enamel is translucent and using your mirror to transilluminate it can help you detect sheet calculus you might not be able to see otherwise.  I am not a dentist just a dental student.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's a fucking scam...

I didn't go for 4-5 years (I hated my old dentist, love my new one) and finally go conned by a friend who works for a dentist.

I go, nothing wrong, zero, nil, everything is dandy. Go back for a 6mo cleaning: "You have two cavities."

Wait a minuted, I didn't come for 4-5 years, I pitch up and everything is great... I come back 6mo later and now I have to cavities ? What did you put in the cleaning solution, what really came out of the X-ray machine. Hoodlums.

A carious lesion can take years to form depending on whay type it is.  It may not have been detectable the first visit.  

Here's something that should help you out though:

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Can you autoclave a camera?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:01:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I sell the cameras to dentists and they cost $1500- $3500 per room depending on manufacturer and yes the part that goes in your mouth is covered with a barrier or the camera has a sheath that can be sterilized.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:38:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When I transfered from OKC to LAX I met up with a totaly different type of people,I was in the mens bath room takeing a piss while a long single hanging bulb(no covering)touched my forhead!!

I remarked damn that thing burned my head,the guy next to me said oh yeah reached up grabbed the bulb(didn't unscrew it)just yanked it out of the socket and began to eat it!

Freaked the shit out of me!!!

We were in the theme building at LAX for a meeting of personell of AA lines!

I then realized that there were some crazy people that I would have to  work with!

I then fell into thier group as they were from geo,ala,miss,and southern states!

They taught me to eat glass,real hard on your teeth!!

Bob

Sadly, I know what you mean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top