Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/21/2013 10:11:26 AM EST
Y'all do dead's on leg days or back days? I have been doing 'em on leg and ab's but was talking with a buddy who does them on back days...
so I was just thinking about which day would be better.
what do y'all do and why?

I do:
chest, shoulders and tri's (tues)
run 6 mile (Weds)
legs and ab's (Thrs)
run 6 miles (Fri)
back and bi's (Sat)
run 4 mile fartlek's (Sun)
rest day (Mon)
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:07:54 AM EST
I don't have a back day. I have a deadlift day. I might do assistance back work on deadlift day, though. I wouldn't DL after squatting because of fatigue, but that's me
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:09:45 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lougotzz:
I don't have a back day. I have a deadlift day. I might do assistance back work on deadlift day, though. I wouldn't DL after squatting because of fatigue, but that's me
View Quote

This.

I do pullups and chest supported rows on Deadlift day.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:12:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2013 11:35:09 AM EST by RolandofGilead]
Originally Posted By Bhart89:

This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bhart89:

This.

Yep same here.

I prefer to train movements, not body parts.

To expand on this, before I really got into Oly again, it was like this:

Bench day

Squat and push press day

Deadlift day

followed by accessory work and conditioning. I don't like focusing on body parts, though it does have it's uses for some people (bodybuilders and such)
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:51:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2013 12:52:22 PM EST by tcataz]
View Quote

^^this and pretty good advise also.

I don't have a back day either. I have Squat day, Overhead press day, deadlift day and bench day. All my assistance work is mixed in with that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:44:13 PM EST
I do straight legged deadlifts on leg day. My hamstrings really respond to that particular lift.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:10:20 PM EST
After you get done with starting strength or strong lifts, dead lifts are done on dead lift day.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:34:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:56:48 PM EST
yeah... deadlift days...

If you do bodypart splits because you're into bodybuilding, then deadlift variants should be done on glute/ham or leg day.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:57:17 PM EST
I do them on back day, first thing. I space back day as far from leg day as possible
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 7:09:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2013 7:10:09 PM EST by darktide]
I dont understand how people lump deadlifts as a Back, rather than Leg exercise...

If you're frying your back off your deadlifts, not your hams/glutes, you're doing them wrong and not engaging the appropriate prime movers. (or your force transducers, e.g. paraspinals are extremely lacking in strength.)

there is no other explanation.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:20:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By darktide:
I dont understand how people lump deadlifts as a Back, rather than Leg exercise...

If you're frying your back off your deadlifts, not your hams/glutes, you're doing them wrong and not engaging the appropriate prime movers. (or your force transducers, e.g. paraspinals are extremely lacking in strength.)

there is no other explanation.
View Quote

That was my thoughts as well. I just wanted a few extra opinions. Thanks folks
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:23:15 PM EST
I do DL's on my Pull day.

Legs on Monday, Push day on Wednesday, Pull day on Friday.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:32:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By tcataz:

I don't have a back day either. I have Squat day, Overhead press day, deadlift day and bench day. All my assistance work is mixed in with that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tcataz:

This. Squat and Deadlift both huge lifts, I honestly could not give 100% on either if I did them on the same day during the same session. Seems counter productive. DLs are more of a back exercise than legs anyways the heavier they get it seems to me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:35:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 6:02:51 AM EST by Mudguts]
This interview with Glenn Pendlay provides a little insight on the subject from his perspective:http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/too_much_muscle_the_glenn_pendlay_secret

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:39:39 AM EST
I do these: Kettlebell Deadlift
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:30:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 5:31:47 AM EST by Mudguts]
Originally Posted By ADRIAAAAANNN:
View Quote

That's good. So now when there is a major accident inside the food pantry at your house, and a family member is buried under a pile of canned food, everyone in the house will shout for you to come and help, and you'll stride in there confidently and lift every can off the victim. Even the big, 5 lbs cans of creamed corn. And you won't even sweat. And you will be the hero. And there will be much rejoicing. And there will be soup!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:41:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By Mudguts:

That's good. So now when there is a major accident inside the food pantry at your house, and a family member is buried under a pile of canned food, everyone in the house will shout for you to come and help, and you'll stride in there confidently and lift every can off the victim. Even the big, 5 lbs cans of creamed corn. And you won't even sweat. And you will be the hero. And there will be much rejoicing. And there will be soup!
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:22:28 AM EST

View All Quotes

Kidding aside; a healthy person is usually able to DL their body-weight with minimal training. A healthy person would be using their gym time inefficiently by DL'ing kettlebells.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:29:10 AM EST
View Quote

Mudguts pretty much already nailed it, but seriously- that's not a strength movement for a healthy adult. My 60# 9 year old does deadlifts with my 53# kettlebell.

Get a barbell and put a bit of weight on it.
Top Top