Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 12/2/2009 5:03:46 PM EDT
Ok so I just drank the koolaid and bought some Danners, 453 GX.  They got good reviews on several websites, and on ARFCOM also.  However,  they seem a bit tight around the midfoot, will this remedy after a break-in period?

It has been forever since I broke in a new pair of boots, and I have never spend nearly $150 on a pair, so I hope they are worth the hype....

What says the hive mind?
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 5:15:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2009 5:17:09 PM EDT by Aiden]
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:
Ok so I just drank the koolaid and bought some Danners, 453 GX.  They got good reviews on several websites, and on ARFCOM also.  However,  they seem a bit tight around the midfoot, will this remedy after a break-in period?

It has been forever since I broke in a new pair of boots, and I have never spend nearly $150 on a pair, so I hope they are worth the hype....

What says the hive mind?

Danner's tend to be narrow.  I have to get mine extra wide, even though I don't in other boots.

ETA:  I'd return them while new and get a wider boot.  Once you get the right size, you'll never wear another boot.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 5:18:00 PM EDT
Definitely run a bit small.  I learned that the hard way.  I did not return them, but they did "give" a little.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 5:18:38 PM EDT
everyone needs a pair of Danners
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 5:23:44 PM EDT
Danners are great if you buy the made in USA models, otherwise they're just chinese crap.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 5:29:05 PM EDT
Second pair of Danners for me. The do recommend a wider size in some of the descriptions. My first pair seemed a bit tight at first but soon "opened up" and are now my best boots. Second pair I ordered a size wider and there was no "break in" time needed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 5:30:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By robertl:
Danners are great if you buy the made in USA models, otherwise they're just chinese crap.

This

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 5:33:35 PM EDT
I have worn out several pairs of Danners for work. I also have a couple pairs of hunting boots.

The waterproof 3/4 work boots are great. I don't hesitate to walk through a couple inches of water. They have replaced them whenever I have had a problem. I have wore out about 6 pair - on my feet a minimum of 12 hrs a day.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 5:34:28 PM EDT
Ditto on Danners running a bit small, both width and length.  Danner makes some of their boots in China, so one needs to pay attention when buying.  Of course anything with a NSN must be made here.

I broke down and bought a pair of Matterhorns, and they fit perfectly right out of the box and wore them in the field, no break in needed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 5:44:25 PM EDT
I haven't tried the 453 model yet but I have the 452, I can tell you they required break in unlike any "lightweight" boots I've ever used before.  Very sturdy construction.

I found the 452s to be rather roomy after breaking in and the 453 is supposedly made on the same last.  I'd be tempted to do the hot water break in if/when I get another pair, my 452s are still going after 2 years although the sole is almost worn down.  Wish they were resolable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 5:53:37 PM EDT
I almost puked the first time I bought a pair back in the early '90s.  "Did I really just pay $200 something for a pair of boots?"  I am on my 2nd pair, still have the first, having been resoled 4 times now, the 2nd pair resoled 2 times.  Get the made in the USA boots.  If they fit, and you'll know pretty quick, you won't regret it.  1st pair is Acadia model, 2nd pair is Grouse model.  I wear them daily.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:03:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Aiden:
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:

What says the hive mind?

Danner's tend to be narrow.  I have to get mine extra wide, even though I don't in other boots.

ETA:  I'd return them while new and get a wider boot.  Once you get the right size, you'll never wear another boot.

My experience as well.  Great boots, just narrow.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:04:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:12:15 PM EDT
I got a set of Ft Lewis in my size off ebay, heavy but good boots.  They are kinda narrow but Im getting used to it
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:18:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2009 6:18:46 PM EDT by Aiden]
Originally Posted By Taxman:
I got a set of Ft Lewis in my size off ebay, heavy but good boots.  They are kinda narrow but Im getting used to it

If you've got normal feet, they'll never be really comfortable unless you the get them in x-wide.  But Uncle sugar pays for mine, so I can be picky.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:21:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JAMES77257:
Originally Posted By robertl:

This

Love my danners but they HAVE to be USA made.  Best part is when the sole/gore-tex wear out send them back for a rebuild.  I just got my original pair (bought in '92) rebuilt.  Good as new and fit like a boot I've had forever.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:24:52 PM EDT
Danners are the best boots out there IMHO.

I have 2 pairs of Acadias (1 already resoled) for work, and a pair of USA made Frontiers for hunting. The USA made Frontiers were discontinued and replaced by some made in China crap unfortunately, can't be found anymore.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:28:50 PM EDT

If you've got normal feet, they'll never be really comfortable unless you the get them in x-wide.  But Uncle sugar pays for mine, so I can be picky.

I got what I could get cheap if its just a bit too narrow, wide, small or large I heal with it
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:32:05 PM EDT

I got what I could get cheap if its just a bit too narrow, wide, small or large I heal with it

My Dad was a DI in the Army, he always told me you don't break in boots, you break in your feet.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:32:16 PM EDT

You can get one of those wooden shoe stretchers at Walmart for about 14 buck.  have little rounded pegs to stretch specific points in the shoe.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:34:54 PM EDT
Danner's good enough that they're issued to troops going to 'stan ;)  Danner Combat Hikers.

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:34:58 PM EDT
I have some "made in the USA" Danner Mtn Light hiking boots, they are nice and everything, but they do wiegh ~0.5-0.75lbs more than their PRC-made cousins, but you can repair them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:35:32 PM EDT

My Dad was a DI in the Army, he always told me you don't break in boots, you break in your feet.

Want pictures
At current count 5 blisters and 4 cuts, only 1 of those is from the Danners though where the tongue rubbed trough the skin.
The cuts are all from 5.11s that had the lining fall apart the blisters are from some wrong size surplus boots
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:37:01 PM EDT
I was issued a pair of Matterhorns by the US Army in 1991 (Korean winter and we all hated the Mickey Mouse boots.  Don't get me wrong - they worked, but they were cumbersome as hell!!).  

First Danners I ever saw:  STILL have them.  Thank God they were a size too big when issued.  Use them every winter.  Never owned another pair...
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:37:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2009 6:38:47 PM EDT by Aiden]

Want pictures
At current count 5 blisters and 4 cuts, only 1 of those is from the Danners though where the tongue rubbed trough the skin.
The cuts are all from 5.11s that had the lining fall apart the blisters are from some wrong size surplus boots

If you wear a size 12, I've got a few extra pairs I can send ya a pair.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2009 6:40:31 PM EDT by DonKey153]
excellent boots, they've outlasted all the other boots I've owned by far. I walk several miles a day in the woods and they're needing to be replaced after 2.5 years. My last pair of wolverines lasted a year and a half before the leather broke open, the hitechs before that lasted 6mo.

ETA my next pair of Danners will be a half size bigger, they do run small as everyone else has pointed out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:45:52 PM EDT
i bought two pairs at the factory outlet years ago.  the first pair i bought in my size and they were too small even after breaking them in.  the next pair i bought wide and 1/2 a size bigger....they truly "fit like a glove".  

next time i need boots they will be danners!
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:50:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2009 6:51:27 PM EDT by NimmerMehr]

Originally Posted By luckypunk:

everyone needs a pair of Danners

Originally Posted By karma:

+1 on Danner being narrow. Narrow is good if you're like me and have
narrow feet. I've never found a pair of boots that actually fit, until
I tried Danners.

+1.. or is it +2??

I had a pair for 10 years. The padding inside wore out by the heel, they smelled really bad, ever after pouring bleach in them... BUT, the  sole and the stitching, etc was in fine shape, still water proof.

I threw them out.

I WILL buy another pair, but one that have canvas side or something more breathable so the cloth on the inside lasts longer.

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:51:40 PM EDT
I affectionately call my Danner's "Foot Pussies"

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 7:17:23 PM EDT
I love my current Danner "Marine Hot" boots

My prevous danner"GTX" were absolute garbage in fact the rubber sole actually broke in half mid way down the boot. A friend of mine had the same issue.

"Made in USA" only for me from now on.

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 9:00:35 PM EDT
Danners=lol  
Real boots=Whites

/thread
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 9:09:23 PM EDT
I have a pair of STX's and I absolutely love them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 3:24:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2009 3:24:48 PM EDT by DOW]
Originally Posted By Rabidmonkey707:
Danners=lol  
Real boots=Whites

/thread

Ok Champ.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 5:21:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2009 5:59:17 PM EDT by Gamma762]
Be aware that the last that the 453, 452, and probably most of the foreign boots are made on is very different from the last they use for the Acadias and most of the US made boots.  My 452s in 11.5 D are roomy if not even a little too wide, whereas Acadias in 11.5D are both too short and too narrow for me.

Danners=lol  
Real boots=Whites
/thread

Heh, Whites sells Danner and Lacrosse on their website
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 5:23:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2009 5:44:20 PM EDT by Aiden]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
Be aware that the last that the 453, 452, and probably most of the foreign boots are made on is very different from the last they use for the Acadias and most of the US made boots.  My 452s in 11.5 D are roomy if not even a little too wide, whereas Acadias in 11.5D are both too short and too narrow for me.

Meh, all mine are made in the USA, little flag inside and all...and they're still too narrow.

ETA:  Meant they run more narrow than other shoes/boots...when you get the right size, they rule!
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 5:40:56 PM EDT
Wear my second pair of Ft Lewis boots everyday.

Love them, I was able to get them fit before buying.

Huge thumbs up!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 6:55:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 6:58:05 PM EDT

Danners=lol  

Real boots=Whites

/thread

i own pairs of both.

my danners are the arcadia's (spelling)

there a good boot that i wear from time to time. think i paid around 150 for them..

my whites are my main work boots. they are the smoke jumper model and i paid around 475 for them. great boot.

Link Posted: 12/5/2009 7:08:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
I'm about to order two pair for my kid and me. I don't have a wide foot at all but you guys have me all freaked out with this narrow boot talk.

I wear a size 9

my right foot is 3.921" at the widest point Left foot is 4.157"
At they are tight
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 10:00:26 AM EDT
What about the Pronghorn GTX boots? Are they made in the USA?

I need a pair of waterproof boots that are comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 10:13:54 AM EDT
I normally get 2 years out of a pair of Matterhorns.  Bought an expensive pair of Danners.  Got about 6 months before they started to come apart.  Back to Matterhorns, and very happy with them.  

Not a fan of Danners.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 10:29:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 220ST:
I normally get 2 years out of a pair of Matterhorns.  Bought an expensive pair of Danners.  Got about 6 months before they started to come apart.  Back to Matterhorns, and very happy with them.  

Not a fan of Danners.

Im guessing you bought some of the foreign made Danners, if they were the Made in the USA(stich down construction)....Danner will fix them for you.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 11:27:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By blacksunshinez51:

Not a fan of Danners.

Im guessing you bought some of the foreign made Danners, if they were the Made in the USA(stich down construction)....Danner will fix them for you.

Nope, $200 Danner Acadias.  The inner lining broke loose from the footbed, and the lining would suck up to my foot, and made the boots very hard to take off.  Basically, the lining would stay on my feet, even after removing the outer boots.  Taking the boots off took minutes, and I needed a coat hanger to peel my foot out of the liner.  Danner wouldn't fix them, and I ended up throwing out the boots.

Like I said, not a fan of Danners

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 11:33:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By blacksunshinez51:

Not a fan of Danners.

Nope, $200 Danner Acadias.  The inner lining broke loose from the footbed, and the lining would suck up to my foot, and made the boots very hard to take off.  Basically, the lining would stay on my feet, even after removing the outer boots.  Taking the boots off took minutes, and I needed a coat hanger to peel my foot out of the liner.  Danner wouldn't fix them, and I ended up throwing out the boots.

Like I said, not a fan of Danners

Who did you talk to at Danner, They rebuild boots all the time...just having the insides fixed would not have cost that much, if the warranty didnt cover it.  I think it's like $70 or some thing to have the insides replaced.  Did you send in the boot registration card with the serial # when you bought them?
Top Top