Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 4:50:23 PM EDT
well, i lost my grandpa today, his wife of 44 years  (my grandma) died in january and i really think the loneliness killed him.

they raised my brother and me about 1/2 the time and i'm going to miss him terribly.  i know they are together though.  

i'll be heading back to KS tomorrow...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
May they rest in peace.  Sorry for your losses.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]

My parents had been married over 50 years.  Dad went in February, mom immediately started going downhill and was gone in November of the same year.

It just happens that way when 2 people spend that much of their lives together.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Not that uncommon, had an aunt & uncle who passed within months of each other in their late 80's.

They are in a better place.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
That happens with a lot of old couples.

I've lost only one grandparent so far.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
well, i lost my grandpa today, his wife of 44 years  (my grandma) died in january and i really think the loneliness killed him.

they raised my brother and me about 1/2 the time and i'm going to miss him terribly.  i know they are together though.  

i'll be heading back to KS tomorrow...

Sorry for the loss, My moms mom died, then less then a year later, her dad died.  Old couples seem to go like that.

I know how you feel man.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the replies, the funeral will be monday.  looks to be a long weekend though, going throught the house and trying to get everything together/out/sold or whatever...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i really think the loneliness killed him.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.  

It is rather common for older long time spouses to pass on within a year of each other.  It's not easy to keep going when half or yourself is taken away.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
lostwildcat, i am very for your loss.  my grandpa died on July 5th at 95 years old and now we are all worried about my grandma that has always seemed like a "tough old bird".  she all of a sudden is not acting very tough anymore.  they were married for 65 years and living in their own home which grandma is going to keep living in (if i can help it).

have a safe trip and know that they are in a better place
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Lostwildcat, I am very sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm very sorry for your loss.  I was raised by my grandparents and know exactly what you're going through.  Prayers inbound.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sorry for your loss.

I was in Iraq last December and both of my Grandfather's passed away within weeks of eachother.  
Worst Christmas ever.

Again I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess I'll be the 'tard and say that I think these things happen for a reason.

People get tired.

I'm not trying to cheap shot--I'm not a christian, but, if that's your belief, I respect it.:  They are together, and, that's not a bad thing.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel your pain. When I was 5 I lost both of my grandparents on my dad's side within 1 week of each other. My grandpa on christmas eve and grandma a week to the day later.

may god bless you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My parents had been married over 50 years.  Dad went in February, mom immediately started going downhill and was gone in November of the same year.

It just happens that way when 2 people spend that much of their lives together.

+1

My parents were married for over 60 years......mom died first after a prolonged illness.  1st time in my life, I had ever seen my dad cry......and he cried everytime I saw him for the next 13 days.  He died on the 14th day after my mom died.

Being together for so long, I knew he couldnt' bear to live without my mom........a lot of old couples are this way.

Sorry for your loss...I know how it feels.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top