Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 1:38:01 PM EDT
he crashed at the race and he took out his teammate dam now i really wont be watching the end of the season wont be the same.

and there is a chance jeff gordon wont be in the chase either dam to good drivers not good.

its over

Earnhardt Jr. gets to 'go home'

Crash on a restart ends day early, dims championship hopes

By JIM UTTER

ThatsRacin.com Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s hopes for a good finish in Sunday's Allstate 400 ended early, and any opportunity he had to make the Chase for the Nextel Cup championship field appear dim at best.

On a restart on Lap 62, Earnhardt Jr. – who was struggling much of the race – was hit from behind by Mike Skinner, turning him into the inside wall on the frontstretch of Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

After hitting the wall, Earnhardt Jr.'s No. 8 Chevrolet backed across the track and into the path of Dale Earnhardt Inc. teammate Martin Truex Jr. Robby Gordon and Scott Wimmer also got caught up in the accident.

"Everybody took off and then everybody stopped and when I stopped I got ran into," said Earnhardt Jr., who was credited with a 42nd-place finish.

"It's hard to see when you're way back in the back – you know, what the leaders are doing. But they called the green flag, and I was waiting for Bill (Elliott) to go, and when Bill took off, I took off - and we stopped again. I don't think Skinner knew what was going on."

When asked about the blow the wreck had on his championship hopes, Earnhardt Jr. said, "Man, I just hope I don't have to get into that piece of crap today. Hopefully, I can go home."

Earnhardt Jr. was 14th in points entering the race.

www.nascar.com/2005/news/headlines/cup/08/07/dearnhardtjr.indianapolis/index.html

Junior admits the Chase now pipe dream for No. 8

INDIANAPOLIS -- Dale Earnhardt, Jr's recent surge toward Chase qualification may have officially ended Sunday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

"I ain't no fortune teller, but it ain't looking good," Earnhardt said. "It'll take something extraordinary to make the Chase, for us, at this point."

Earnhardt was struggling along near the back of the pack Sunday in the Allstate 400 when, on a Lap 61 restart, the field bunched up behind leader Casey Mears -- and in front of Earnhardt.

To elude the cars stacking up ahead, Earnhardt swerved and was tapped in the rear by Mike Skinner, sending the No. 8 Chevrolet head-on into the inside retaining wall.

"We were all in line," Junior explained, "and the guys in front of me went, I went, then they stopped and I tried to stop, pulled out to let the guy behind me have that outside line in case he couldn't get slowed down enough and he hooked me in the right rear and sent me into the inside wall."

Among those caught up in the melee was Earnhardt's teammate, Martin Truex Jr.

"It's unfortunate, we got two of our cars crashed," said Truex, who won the Busch Series event Saturday night at Indianapolis Raceway Park.

"I was having a lot of fun out there. That's it. I couldn't see anything really, just cars stopping. I tried to stop and go out by the wall and Junior come back across right in front of me. Wrong place, wrong time."

Truth be told, Earnhardt's primary frustration wasn't the accident -- rather the performance of his racecar.

"I had a terrible racecar [Sunday] and I'm glad it's over with," he said. "We tested real good, and we came here and we been junk. And it's frustrating when the car don't drive right.

"I was in the back and trying to work on it every pit stop and get it better. We did all we could do. Can't help circumstances like that.

"We can't bring cars like this to the racetrack. I knew when the race started it'd be a miracle to get a top-10 with that car. As long as we're bringing cars like that to the racetrack, that's where we're going to finish."

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The championship is for mediorce drivers. The best driver is the one who wins/places the most races.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Jr being gone makes me mad.  But I get giggly like a school girl at Gordons faggot ass being gone.  Whiny bastard.  Come on, he makes wine, nascar is a beer and whiskey sport.  Actually it's a moonshine sport, by birth.  NOT WINE.  Other than muscadine wine.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Nextel really messed up NASCAR, not that 4they weren't doing it themselves.

They have cut down on the number of races at older tracks, and I think Darlington is finished....

This new 'shootout' at the end of the season is crap.

The Championship should be done the way it alwasy has. Race one counts just as much as race 10.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]
And I should give a flying fuck because?

In REAL motorsports racing Australian Mat Mladin riding a Suzuki GSXR1000 leads the USA based AMA Superbike series with a lead of 9 points over Suzuki GSXR1000 mounted American Ben Spies with 4 more races to go.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

In REAL motorsports racing Australian Mat Mladin riding a Suzuki GSXR1000 leads the USA based AMA Superbike series with a lead of 9 points over Suzuki GSXR1000 mounted American Ben Spies with 4 more races to go.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
And with that this topic should be in the trains, planes and automobiles forum, no?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i was a petty fan until he retired. then i became a Dale Sr fan. there were/are no 2 better drivers in nascar.

dale Jr is an idiot.

Here's one for ya-
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Yawn...........
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Yah, but on a positive note ol' Smoke, Tony Stewart kicked some butt and finally won at the Brick Yard.  Way to go Tony, YeeHaw.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Dale who???
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The championship is for mediorce drivers. The best driver is the one who wins/places the most races.

You should not post dribble, about subjects you know nothing about
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They have cut down on the number of races at older tracks, and I think Darlington is finished....

The Championship should be done the way it alwasy has. Race one counts just as much as race 10.

Nextel didn't to shit. NASCAR ( Bryan France) made ALL of those decisions.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yah, but on a positive note ol' Smoke, Tony Stewart kicked some butt and finally won at the Brick Yard.  Way to go Tony, YeeHaw.

It was cool to see how excited he was.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it was NASCAR in conjunction with Nextel. NASCAR has gone PC.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Dale Jr is the most overrated driver in NASCAR, period.  The fact that he's all ready out of the chase in August simply proves my point!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TV execs had WAY more to do with ALL of those decisions than Nextel.

Especially the chase.
It is the time of year when, if there is a runaway points leader....some fans start watching football.
Been that way for years , the only thing new is the big fat TV contract that needs the ratings.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I fully agree!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Dale Jr is the most overrated driver in NASCAR, period.

I fully agree.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Poor Jr. Oh wait who cares. I like Rusty even though he's not the best of the drivers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Jr being gone makes me mad.  But I get giggly like a school girl at Gordons faggot ass being gone.  Whiny bastard.  Come on, he makes wine, nascar is a beer and whiskey sport.  Actually it's a moonshine sport, by birth.  NOT WINE.  Other than muscadine wine.

That was, uh, really kinda stupid.

Stewart > Gordon in the "wHiny" department.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Dale Jr is the most overrated driver in NASCAR, period.  The fact that he's all ready out of the chase in August simply proves my point!

+2000000000000

He's nothing but a mediocre driver at best, trying to follow his father's footsteps but cant because he is lackluster.

Jimmie is 10x the driver JR is and has proven it so far.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

dale Jr is an idiot.

+1

He also spouted off about the AW Ban needing renewal for you Jr. lovers out there.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

More like the rube Brain France and the programming execs at Fox & NBC... give us more "drama" [vomit]

I used to go to a couple of races every year, haven't watched a single lap in 2005 - they took something cool and turned it into WWF formulaic crap. Do they still have the "mystery cautions" to keep the races interesting? Nothing like Pierre Debris bringing out the yellow at cookie cutter tracks...

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#27]
ha ha good.  Him and his MTV crowd can SIUTA.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
i was a petty fan until he retired. then i became a Dale Sr fan. there were/are no 2 better drivers in nascar.

dale Jr is an idiot.

Richard Petty is the King!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Dale Jr is just pissed because he can't make any right turns!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#30]
The big question regarding Jr. is will he be a man about it or will he piss and bitch and moan about it as typical.

From what I have seen he is a good driver so long as his ride is absolutley perfect.

Otherwise, he is just another driver.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top