Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/12/2006 4:44:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 4:47:19 AM EDT by bastiat]
I think I saw this posted here.

Supposedly it's easier to cut foam (like for gun cases) if you freeze it first. Is this twue? If so, what do you use, an xacto knife?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:46:02 AM EDT
I have heard freezing works well. As for a knife I was always told to use an electric carving knife.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:49:05 AM EDT
I use an electric carving knife. No need to freeze it! Others have different methods including freezing the foam, but I haven't seen any need for it when using the carving knife. Lay everything out on the foam how you want it, and trace the outlines (chalk works well). The main thing is to go slow and cut your openings a tad small so the items will fit tightly. Make sure you keep the knife at a 90 degree angle to the foam so the cuts are straight and vertical.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:02:22 AM EDT
I wonder if one of these would work:

They work great on styrofoam and that foam insulation used on construction sites... I'm not sure about gun-case padding. They do a pretty neat job. The one illustrated is about $30.

OR, do a Google image search for "hot wire foam cutter." There is quite a bit of information there about building your own, on a larger scale, like bench-mounted versions.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:36:39 AM EDT
hmm looks interesting.

I know bosch makes a foam cutter, but they want $350 for it!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:40:57 AM EDT
electric carving knife works okay

any sharp knife will work, I like the break-off kind - cheap to buy a bunch

hot wire for some kinds of foam

bandsaw's work

waterjet cutters, CNC foam cutters, etc..........

Foam dulls knives pretty quickly

Foam Pron:

Top Top